So-bad-its-good cinema

Moderator: Aesthetics

User avatar
paul
Eagle Minded
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 am
Location: Monterey, CA
Contact:

Post by paul »

rainier wrote:It's almost unwatchable without the mst3k commentary, but I feel like Manos: the Hands of Fate belongs on this list. I guess a lot of those movies do, but Manos is a standout.

I actually dated a guy who looked like Torgo for awhile.


agreed! while i own every episode of MST3K (yup - on 35 DVDs) ... Manos definitely takes the cake. Prince Of Space and Puma Man are also pretty hideous.

sorry about the Torgo thing ... hopefully at least that hideous music didn't play whenever he walked.
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell
User avatar
rainier
Sherbet Head
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Post by rainier »

I don't know what Christmas would be without Santa Claus vs The Martians.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

rainier wrote:I don't know what Christmas would be without Santa Claus vs The Martians.


omigosh i think i love youuuuuuuuuu.........

I think I remember Mexicola talking about something called "Attack of the Lesbian Martian Braineaters" as a theoretical Bad Movie, and I was half tempted to make something like that someday because that sounds like it could be really good in a bad way.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
fujee
Happy Cycler
Posts: 4012
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 pm
Location: UK

Post by fujee »

I absolutely love it but some people think it's the worst film ever made. So maybe it belongs in this thread: Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…
User avatar
A_Northern_Soul
Happy Cycler
Posts: 2768
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:13 am
Location: Edinburgh

Post by A_Northern_Soul »

^ great film!
User avatar
THE BOB
Boqurant
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:00 pm
Location: echo

Post by THE BOB »

Escape from New York

Jack Frost (the horror movie with a killer snowman. there's a quiz at the end!)

looking for other christmas-y good/bad stuff. might be time for Die Hard.
-
User avatar
WeHadNormality
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:02 am
Location: Pareidolia

Post by WeHadNormality »

THE BOB wrote:Escape from New York


Have you seen Escape From LA? Jesus! That surfing scene man! It's terrible. Escape From New York is a masterpiece compared to that crock 'o' shit.

THE BOB wrote:might be time for Die Hard.


That film is brilliant purely because of Alan Rickman's performance. Hans Gruber is one of best villains of all time.

Now I have a machine gun.

HO - HO - HO
User avatar
The Telepathic Kid
Happy Cycler
Posts: 3051
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by The Telepathic Kid »

Amo Bishop Roden wrote:Hobo With a Shotgun!


But again Hobo, like Black Dynamite, is meant as a pastiche, a take off, an attempt at being so bad it's good, which it is successful in doing.

But then again I ask, what are we enjoying these movies for? Is there an underlying reason or methodology in our brains which attracts us to stuff like this? Is there a reason to say why other than "It's so bad it's good", because that's not really an answer, it's more of dodging the question, giving a stock answer.

I mean I have guilty pleasures, like bad schlocky horror films like a lot of the stuff posted here. I enjoy a lot of them on a comedic level, and the gore is like a stupid over the top treat.
I dunno, just some ideas I'm puttin' out there. It's an interesting topic to think about, why our brains do stuff.
Post a reply