Page 2 of 3

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 am
by rainier
I'm sure they'll still make music, I just don't know if we'll get to hear any of it. I hope so obviously. I'm sure they have so much stuff we haven't heard just because it wouldn't fit cohesively on an album, or maybe wouldn't fit into what people expect them to sound like. I hope we get to hear some of that stuff eventually.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:08 am
by The Other
I say no. They will end with 6 full length releases. :twisted:

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:32 am
by In_The_Annexe
I honestly think within the realms of possibility that BoC might release a follow up EP after Tomorrows Harvest. This is soley what I think so in such, is pure speculation like everyone else here, either then that I don't see them releasing another LP, if they do maybe after awhile... These two aren't necessarily the most media influenced and do things their own way.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:01 am
by RSwessem
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:29 am
by MindElevation
RSwessem wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.


That would be cool indeed, however I feel Mike and Marcus have something special engrained in them from childhood which could not be replicated, even by their own kids.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 pm
by Betterthanyourkids
Yeah, they actually do have kids, I think Mike had one when they were creating Geogaddi (so like 2000/2001 ish?). I don't thunk the "legacy" of BoC can really/ should be continued, because it's the Sandison bros. thing,something that in my mind shouldn't be replicated, because it kind of takes away from how special their music really is.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 pm
by chorus
Betterthanyourkids wrote:Yeah, they actually do have kids, I think Mike had one when they were creating Geogaddi (so like 2000/2001 ish?). I don't thunk the "legacy" of BoC can really/ should be continued, because it's the Sandison bros. thing,something that in my mind shouldn't be replicated, because it kind of takes away from how special their music really is.


BOC teens

Image

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:04 pm
by apriorion
Why on Earth would this even occur to anyone as a question, let alone something to raise at this moment? They just announced an eagerly anticipated album, and they even released a new press photo: they're clearly not throwing in the towel. I can understand if someone posted this about a month ago, but now? That's highly inappropriate. Let's look forward to their tunes and avoid speculating about their demise; what do you say?

I, for one, am looking forward to anything they produce, and I hope they never "retire". Long live BOC.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm
by Headphase
Considering how long it has been since the last album, I definitely think there will be a few EPS, if not at least one more full length album

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:07 pm
by justin
All Good things as they say ...

If this was in fact the last album I would very much respect them for their contribution to electronic music and music production in general . I'm a firm believer that you should quit while on top . If they think they have reached their creative peak and that they have travled to the end of the proverbial Trans Canada Highway then i'm at peace with that .

They are the Beatles or Pink Floyd of the genre . I hope that they have an opportunity to totally recess back into private life again one day .Enjoying the days with their children , family and friends as their music continues to inspire a sense of nostalgia and wonder to new generations .

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:44 pm
by Yellow Records
MindElevation wrote:
RSwessem wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.


That would be cool indeed, however I feel Mike and Marcus have something special engrained in them from childhood which could not be replicated, even by their own kids.


VERY valid point, indeed.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:06 pm
by b0qurant
Yellow Records wrote:
MindElevation wrote:
RSwessem wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.


That would be cool indeed, however I feel Mike and Marcus have something special engrained in them from childhood which could not be replicated, even by their own kids.


VERY valid point, indeed.


With all due respect, I think it would be mega-cheesy and weird if their kids just continued Boards of Canada. I really hope that any music branded "Boards of Canada" is only Mike & Marcus until the end.

Also, people say that the BOCset was "promised." Does anyone have proof that we know this is coming? I believe you guys, but I would just like to see some confirmation if possible

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:05 pm
by Vostok
b0qurant wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:
MindElevation wrote:
RSwessem wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.


That would be cool indeed, however I feel Mike and Marcus have something special engrained in them from childhood which could not be replicated, even by their own kids.


VERY valid point, indeed.


With all due respect, I think it would be mega-cheesy and weird if their kids just continued Boards of Canada. I really hope that any music branded "Boards of Canada" is only Mike & Marcus until the end.

Also, people say that the BOCset was "promised." Does anyone have proof that we know this is coming? I believe you guys, but I would just like to see some confirmation if possible


"MDG: "At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.""

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:08 pm
by harpoon dodger
No, that would be lame.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 pm
by egbdf
For all we know they've been releasing non-BoC-like music under some pseudonym and will continue to do so.

I can't see them stopping making music, but I can see them running out of new ideas as Boards of Canada.

But if they wanted to release something that sounds hardly like BoC, they would probably do it secretly under a pseudonym because they wouldn't want people listening to it with the bias that they are Mike and Marcus.

Seems like they may have said they'd like to do this in an interview.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:15 pm
by depechedaz
Surely this all depends on the record contract with Warp?? We don't no how many albums they signed for and over how long, so it may or may not be the end!

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:30 pm
by MindElevation
Judging from that MDG quote, this album couldn't be further from being the end

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:47 pm
by nickb523
I dont think it'll be "the end" as such.... i do however wonder excatly what it is they are about to deliver and how the public will react to it - Gut instinct shouts that this release is going to divide the fanbase good and proper.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm
by egbdf
MindElevation wrote:Judging from that MDG quote, this album couldn't be further from being the end


What MDG quote?

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 pm
by MindElevation
egbdf wrote:
MindElevation wrote:Judging from that MDG quote, this album couldn't be further from being the end


What MDG quote?


It's an old quote, but I'm sure it's still relevant

MDG: "At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.""