Page 2 of 6
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:58 pm
by Aerial Boundaries
FernieCanto wrote:Besides, the attitude of the Linux community bugs the hell out of me. If you can't make your monitor do somersaults using command line, then you're a n00b. If you want to use Flash, then you're a capitalist pig and you're a traitor to the movement. If you want to program in C and press CTRL+S for "save" instead of some bizarre code in vi that looks like an Autechre track title, then you're an embarrassment for programmers. If you don't like the programs that Linux offers, then WRITE YOUR OWN PROGRAM, n00b.
As much as I am a Windows user (for now) and agree that Linux can be a pain in the ass experience, I don't know where you are getting this from.
My personal experience of communities like the Ubuntu forums is that they have loads of helpful people. Every technical issue I ever had that couldn't be helped alone, got fixed through the help of experienced users and developers on there.
But of course the problem is that although the issues got fixed, there were just so many. So so so many.
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:57 am
by jcnporter
Just found this -
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aud ... ,2860.html
Which seems like quite a good summary of most of the main audio production tools for linux.
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:56 pm
by turquoise70
Cupz wrote:hi darling! I tried dual boots, but then I seem to end up using windows.
Look what I cooked up using only linux and linux only and with only the linux!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/976 ... uxwhat.mp3I just seemed to throw this together in sunvox. This is one powerfull motherfucker!
Its not a full song or anything near amazing songwriting, but for just a couple of hours of finding out how the software works...boy oh boy.
I see and hear now this step is bringing my production next level omg omg cant wait.

AAAARE YOUUU EEEVENNNN SERRRIOUUUUUSSS??????
WHOLE ALBUM OF THIS PLEASE
TWO ALBUMS
I'LL REMIX ANYTHING YOU WANT
more <3 <3 <3
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:33 pm
by Cupz
Dear linux,
I seem to be working allot to keep you running. My crashed my soundcard twice now, and it took me an entire afternoon to get it working again (yes I know I shouldnt experiment with sound packages). And one time my keyboard and mouse stopped working entirely and I had to boot into haxorz-console-only-mode and fix a x11 file MANUALLY. I felt really cool when it worked though. LIKE NEO WITH THE SUNGLASSES.
Making music with trackers is amazing and I can see that after a few months I don't want to see another fucking piano roll again. Ardour can be a little shit sometimes, but its trying so hard to be part of my musical routine. Its like a bastard child you just have to whip sometimes. And apparantly the switch to linux enables me
to make dubstep. Something I never quite figured out how to do well.
I installed a virtual windows pc just so I can make games using unity, I really missed that sonofabitch.
I noticed the company Apple really hates me now I've switched over to linux. .MOV files are impossible to handle, and some little mac-shit-filmmakers really don't care AT ALL.
All is well in linux land, I love it here and I'm here to stay booyah.
Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 pm
by miklatov
I'm a bioinformatician so use Linux every day - couldn't do without it for my work, really. Everything is CLI.
Having said that, my home pc is Windows 7 - couldn't do without it for my recreation (games, etc

). Everything is clickety click
Lots of things I wouldn't use Windows for and lots of things I wouldn't use Linux for.
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 am
by Cupz
I forgot about this thread. For the people who are interested how things went 2 years later:
Running arch linux nowadays on superduper luks encrypted partitions! Havent looked back at Window$ since the switch. Everything windowsy I need works fine on wine, even DAWs thanks to asio2jack. I am now completely microsoft/apple free and loving it! And I'm quite the beast with the commandline now

I still use renoise and sunvox, but I got FL working, so meh...lazyness.
Linux is opening worlds for me in terms of programming, got a shitload of apache servers done and even made some (broken) forum frameworks.
Arch Linux truly truly kicks major ass and I can recommend it to everyone, especially noobs who want to learn!
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:54 am
by Snufkin
Cupz wrote:I forgot about this thread. For the people who are interested how things went 2 years later:

Running arch linux nowadays on superduper luks encrypted partitions! Havent looked back at Window$ since the switch. Everything windowsy I need works fine on wine, even DAWs thanks to asio2jack. I am now completely microsoft/apple free and loving it! And I'm quite the beast with the commandline now

I still use renoise and sunvox, but I got FL working, so meh...lazyness.
Linux is opening worlds for me in terms of programming, got a shitload of apache servers done and even made some (broken) forum frameworks.
Arch Linux truly truly kicks major ass and I can recommend it to everyone, especially noobs who want to learn!
Whoa! Weird timing on this thread. I don't remember this thread from it's history, but it weirdly times in w/ my own interests, specifically in Arch Linux as well...
ATM I use a 6-year-old Macbook running OSX. I can't yet afford to upgrade but hope to soon, and the plan is to start making a transition over to Arch; my only experience with, to date, has been in setting up and running a little Rasbperry Pi with it. I really dig the Arch philosophy, though, and the community seems fantastic. It very much appears, to me, to be a 'no bullshit' approach and allows users to build up their computer, near-enough from scratch (from the scratch of the root directory) which I appreciate b/c I guess it encourages you to *learn* about all the shit that's actually going on on your computer, incl. cmd line, as well as keeping it more streamlined.
Cupz: is it a desktop you're running Arch on, or something else?
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:12 pm
by Cupz
Cool dude, welcome to the arch family I guess.
Its a regular old desktop computer. Descent specs, if 5 years old, but having an os that just sits in the background doing nothing sure brings some air to breathe. I can't think of anything my computer now can't do except run extreme super hipoly 3d-graphics, but I like extreme lowpoly 3d-graphics better anyway.
I have a raspberry pi running ARM arch linux. That's a really nice combo. Can't wait to get enough money to get a touchscreen for it! That would mean the completion of a very cool little project.
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:20 am
by Aerial Boundaries
Cupz wrote: Everything windowsy I need works fine on wine, even DAWs thanks to asio2jack.
Bloody hell! Wine has made massive strides since I last used it if that is the case. I remember a time when things were very different haha.
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:07 pm
by Cupz
Totally. Add to that a thing called "NDISwrapper" and there is no reason NOT to use linux anymore.
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 pm
by Waterbagel
Wine still hiccups when you try higher-level stuff, but most apps/programs work pretty well these days

Re: Linux
Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:30 pm
by Aerial Boundaries
Cupz!
Should I take the plunge and install Arch?
I haven't used linux for years but I am getting bored of windows with all it's blurgh. I want to only have to run it for games and use Arch for anything else. I have also probably forgotten half of what I know about the workings of Linux, but I am willing to put some effort in if it means I can get something lightning fast and slim.
Re: Linux
Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:49 am
by Cupz
Yeah man, take the plunge!
I can recommend
this install tutorial. But at the pacstrap the list should be considerably longer. If you need any help join mah irc in my signature.
Re: Linux
Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:21 am
by Aerial Boundaries
Cupz wrote:Yeah man, take the plunge!
I can recommend
this install tutorial. But at the pacstrap the list should be considerably longer. If you need any help join mah irc in my signature.
coolbeanz!
I am not sure I need encryption though, as this is a desktop computer
Re: Linux
Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:49 am
by Cupz
Thats cool though, partially depending on your location, people could still break in and steal your actual computer. Another reason could be that if you want to sell your computer you don't have to go through the trouble of buying a new hdd (data is hard to destroy). And its just good practice to secure your personal data I guess, paranoid or not. No point in having a wallsafe if you can't lock it. You can set it up in 3 minutes, its not hard, I promise. Its a lot more work if you want to do it afterwords. Save yourself a headache in the future!
Or not, suit yourself, but don't say I didn't warn ya.
Also, pro-tip: get an extra computer to access the internet while installing. In the beginning I found 99% of all my n00b troubles where fixed copy-pasting what linux spits at you into a search engine. For the remaining 1% all you seem to need to do is ask, even the guy that wrote it if you wanted to. Its such an awesome thing.
Re: Linux
Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:06 pm
by Aerial Boundaries
Cupz wrote:Thats cool though, partially depending on your location, people could still break in and steal your actual computer. Another reason could be that if you want to sell your computer you don't have to go through the trouble of buying a new hdd (data is hard to destroy). And its just good practice to secure your personal data I guess, paranoid or not. No point in having a wallsafe if you can't lock it. You can set it up in 3 minutes, its not hard, I promise. Its a lot more work if you want to do it afterwords. Save yourself a headache in the future!
Or not, suit yourself, but don't say I didn't warn ya.
Also, pro-tip: get an extra computer to access the internet while installing. In the beginning I found 99% of all my n00b troubles where fixed copy-pasting what linux spits at you into a search engine. For the remaining 1% all you seem to need to do is ask, even the guy that wrote it if you wanted to. Its such an awesome thing.
Yeah no one is breaking into my place. Evar. It's the nature of the house I live in. I'm not all that fussed tbh, as long as I have security online and on any devices I take around with me I feel ok.
Don't worry I always have my tablet on with relevant pages open, and a smartphone as backup.

I couldn't hope to install arch without it
Also, I know it is fixed now, but Arch used to be terrible on security. None of the packages on pacman used to be signed, which is a pretty basic thing to do. But that isn't relevant anymore I guess
Re: Linux
Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:36 pm
by Aerial Boundaries
Well I've managed to dual-boot fine, got Xorg and Fluxbox up and running.
The only issue is that fonts are completely garbled, and I have a feeling it has something to do with resolution or DPI settings in xorg.conf. I'll have another stab at it tomorrow and see.
I will say that pacman is an amazing package manager. It so fast and reliable. Makes aptitude seem like a snail.
Re: Linux
Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:49 pm
by Cupz
Wow nice dude. Yeah pacman is a beaut! Also, props to the user repositories (AUR).
Re: Linux
Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:57 pm
by Aerial Boundaries
Cupz wrote:Wow nice dude. Yeah pacman is a beaut! Also, props to the user repositories (AUR).
Yes AUR is awesome too.
I was surprised how quickly I managed to get the initial install done, seeing as I've never been much a of a CLI user.
I've fixed the fonts issue (it was to do with the nvidia proprietary driver not figuring out my DPI, which is really stupid considering it was made by them for their card!).
I've got fluxbox up the way I like it, using xcomp-whatever for simple shadowing. Going to setup Conky later.
I love how much Arch has taught me about Linux. Things like fstab, mount-point points, quick config editing with nano or vim. I'm using bash for probably half of everything I do on there now. It is so much quicker than a clunky GUI.
Re: Linux
Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:25 pm
by Aerial Boundaries
Mountpoint points? lol