Page 2 of 4

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:15 pm
by Mexicola
Finally got around to paying for this thing. Album of the year so far for me.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:47 pm
by adecentman
Mex, you're such a sweetie :mrgreen: Really means a lot to the boys and I--none of us had really ever imagined anyone enjoying the songs so much! Though as far as AOTY goes, don't godspeed have a record coming out soon? :wink:


Aerial Boundaries wrote:The album sounds quite young and like it has a lot of drive and fire.
That's interesting/I'm glad that you think that--the ages of 19-22 definitely had an air of intensity for me, so it feels right that the music reflects that. After wrapping up certain aspects of this album in early 2014 I've essentially stopped writing music--in a way I think I burnt myself out on the perhaps more negative or rather naively youthful feelings that went into my creative drive/surrounded this era for me. As my situation stands I'm currently very content not making music/art/'media', but I look forward to falling in love with making music again if the day comes. Constants are changing, hehe.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:42 pm
by Cupz
This is still really cool.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:00 pm
by fujee
Yeah this is really is great stuff, I want a physical copy :)

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:55 pm
by Mexicola
Still listen daily. This and Sufjan Stevens are my soundtrack to 2015, a pretty dramatic year for me. This record is in my heart now.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:56 pm
by The Telepathic Kid
I agree with Aerial, this isn't nearly so much BoC for me.
The fuzzier tracks are kinda reminiscent of MBV, but if I had to give a comparison I'd rather it go to Dinosaur Jr more than anything, that punk aggression of Sweet Girls mixed with the blissful pop sensibilities really reminds me of the opener of You're Living All Over Me.

One influence I'm picking up that no one else seems to be (and that's not to say you're directly influenced, but if we're talking about them), Radiohead. A lot of this sounds like the rockier stuff from the group's edgier records, I hear tracks like Optimistic, In Limbo, Pyramid Song, Lotus Flower.
The guitar tones and the kinetic energy feels very much like the groups' darker more rhythmic stuff.

I also hear a bit of Talk Talk's later period, I also feel the Tame Impala comparison is pretty apt, too.

What I'm trying to say is that there is a pretty distinct sound to this, it's so evocative of so much, but doesn't sound exactly like any of them. The record is cohesive and satisfying in pretty much every way, this is fantastic and I will heartily support this.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:03 am
by Mexicola
Excellent review TTK :-)

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:19 am
by The Telepathic Kid
review? I just said a bunch of stuff it sounds like, I'll write something better if I'm gonna review it.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:40 am
by Mexicola
Lol. I was trying to pay you a compliment and encourage you. Sheesh....

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:44 am
by The Telepathic Kid
as you can tell, I don't take compliments well. ;)
but thanks.

And not to derail the thread either, I'm spreading this music out to as many people as I can show it to, and I'm getting positive reactions. Keep it up, fellas.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:43 am
by Mexicola
Lol, I think I know you well enough to realise that chap. Just pulling your leg ;-)

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:32 am
by Aerial Boundaries
The Telepathic Kid wrote:review? I just said a bunch of stuff it sounds like, I'll write something better if I'm gonna review it.

Haha

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 am
by Cupz
Vote +1 TTK should start an online music magazine.

Can I do the sleaze and dirt section? Aphex Twin was just seen dating Mira Calix, don't you know.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:38 pm
by Aerial Boundaries
Cupz wrote:Vote +1 TTK should start an online music magazine.

Can I do the sleaze and dirt section? Aphex Twin was just seen dating Mira Calix, don't you know.

'Deadmau5 seen snorting coke and heroin off his laptop trackpad on set.'

'Daft Punk to play gig naked.'

'SOTL's Adam Wiltzie admits to stealing his own guitar and selling it on Ebay.'

'Boards of Canada to play gig.'

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:51 pm
by DEVICE
Was only listening to this again today. Fabulous stuff!

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:20 am
by The Telepathic Kid
I listened to this while taking a walk as the sun rose (I call them sun walks), the area I was walking through was thick with fog and the sun was just shining through. It really was a moment to behold, your record was a perfect sound track to it.
I'm still really enjoying this, I can see it being one of my favourites of the year.

Image

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:47 am
by Mexicola
Nice shot man!

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:33 am
by The Telepathic Kid
I was walking into the fog as The Devastator came on, and it seemed perfect.
This encroaching cloud of mist as the track slowly fades into view.

Then I got further in, and during the explosion during Theme for Life on Earth, the sun shone through and illuminated the sky, it was incredible, and made me almost cry.
Like, really.

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:18 pm
by adecentman
Woah--havent checked in on this thread in a second--

Telepathic Kid, that's so rad!! Glad you had such a cool experience with it n_n. For devastator when i was doing synths i was trying to go distinctly for an atmospheric clouds vibe, so I'm stoked the fog felt so right!!

Listening back to the theme for life all these months later I unfortunately end up hearing what to me feels like might be the biggest mixing mishap on the album (imo i mixed my voice too loud), which is a shame cuz it totally takes me outta the track and into a critical perspective as opposed to just listening.... And then again, it makes me feel all the more stoked that y'all seem to be able to get more out of it at this point than I can--really makes me feel like we did something right : )

<3
-Mikey

Re: The Sweet Boys - Foible Pangs

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:54 pm
by Mexicola
Introduced another Twoismer to this last night. Still in my top two albums if the year, easily.

Hey, this is weird: See ya tomorrow dude! Give me a call when you want picking up.