Page 2 of 2

Re: Tips for discovering new music

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:38 pm
by Altruizine
Negamuse wrote:
Altruizine wrote:
Negamuse wrote:Yeah AI kind of isn't great for that and it's almost by design - any answer it could give you is derived from weighted averages of other people's opinions and by definition that's going to tend toward mass opinion.

That's not really accurate at all. You're only describing a certain primitive type of LLM that does what you described. A different form of AI that knows your music library and can, say, analyze and cross-reference audio files and detect specific patterns would be one of the best tools for this.


Hey if you've got a link to a system that can take music as an input and makes qualitative decisions about similarity that isn't based on

- IDing what you've given it as input based on matching fingerprints IE how Shazam etc do it
- comparing user preferences against known listening data like Spotify etc do it

I have a whole bunch of uses for that that's aren't limited to "find me more music like this"

I don't believe anybody has built that and I don't know how they would. The only systems that have actually ingested the world's recorded output and worked out how to do anything with them are things like Suno and Udio and they're not prepared to say "I made this, and I made it based on these songs" because of the legalities of it.

With a quick search I found something called Cyanite.ai

It's an AI engine that can detect genre, subgenre, mood, instruments played, vocal characteristics (e.g., male, female), BPM (tempo), energy level, and even descriptive keywords based on audio analysis. Can be used for updating metadata

By analyzing various factors such as sound, vibe, and era, our AI identifies songs within your catalog that share similar characteristics. This tool is invaluable for music supervisors, playlist curators, and A&R professionals seeking to find tracks that align with specific musical references.

I don't know if it's any good, didn't try it but the concept seems technologically feasible, given that automatic speech transcription is already good and seems more complex than this

Or actually I’m not sure which would be more complex. I was thinking in terms of, music’s more structured and (usually) consists of more distinct frequency patterns so maybe that kind of data is easier for a machine to interpret

Re: Tips for discovering new music

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2026 1:27 pm
by Altruizine
I did try it now. I put Sunshine Recorder and Roygbiv in there. It gave me 10 recommendations for both by artists I was mostly unfamiliar with.

For Sunshine Recorder they were okay but for Roygbiv pretty terrible. There was actually an Eminem instrumental in there (which sounded nothing like BoC) and some Pokemon music? It identified it as "rap hip hop" too

Percussion: Throughout
Piano: Throughout
Synthesizer: Throughout
Electronic Drums: Frequently

This is among the parameters it's paying attention to. Pretty primitive. I guess this would be okay for some content creator that wants to find royalty free music with roughly the same characteristics as a commercial track but there's no option to search for that. I wonder how much this sort of tech can evolve

Re: Tips for discovering new music

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2026 6:32 pm
by Alvin
I’m loving the different methods and perspectives in this thread. Sorry to interrupt it but here’s some more 1994 Hip-Hop Who Sampled finds:

[media]https://youtu.be/yoYZf-lBF_U[/media]
Sampled this:
[media]https://youtu.be/rNv0OQuSedA[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/3hOZaTGnHU4[/media]
Sampled this:
[media]https://youtu.be/oqLpko9Gprs[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/3UtDu-4m0Ko[/media]
Sampled this:
[media]https://youtu.be/szuBdU1abcA[/media]

Re: Tips for discovering new music

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2026 12:59 pm
by Negamuse
WhoSampled is great. Weirdly, one place I've seen it miss stuff is with the music of DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ. Honestly, I could nerd out about her stuff to about the same degree I could nerd out about BoC, she's a genius and I'll hear no argument. ;)

But because of both the quantity (chopping and layering lots of samples, 4 hour long albums) and the quality (pulling from a lot of non traditional sample sources) WhoSampled misses a lot of her stuff.

There's someone on RateYourMusic who has compiled a crowd sourced list that's mostly complete https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nevel_Pa ... eenage-dj/ and I've found a few really interesting things through that

Like, for real, because her headcanon aesthetic is channeling this turn of the millennium, what if Sabrina The Teenage Witch was secretly a DJ there's obviously some of it that's forgotten Disney channel sounding stuff, but then it gets meta with forgotten vanity projects by actors, and just some absolutely wild pulls from the 80s and 90s.

Kind of reminds me of the hell interface thing with using colonel Adams, you know? Some of it is there to make you smile but some of it is genuinely a forgotten find.

I mostly don't listen to some random persons playlist of stuff, cos you almost know what you're going to hear before you play it. One of the things I LOVED about SxT was the obscure things it finds value in, you're getting the value of someone's crate digging who really listens.

Well, I get that with DJ Sabrina. What she makes sounds mostly nothing like its sources, and she's definitely pulling from a different set of crates than Mike and Marcus but she's got the ear.

Re: Tips for discovering new music

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2026 10:00 pm
by Glen_Glog
Alvin wrote:Your turn. :)


Sorry for delay -- anything Ogun or Strata-East

Re: Tips for discovering new music

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2026 9:13 am
by Alvin
Negamuse wrote:WhoSampled is great. Weirdly, one place I've seen it miss stuff is with the music of DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ. Honestly, I could nerd out about her stuff to about the same degree I could nerd out about BoC, she's a genius and I'll hear no argument. ;)

But because of both the quantity (chopping and layering lots of samples, 4 hour long albums) and the quality (pulling from a lot of non traditional sample sources) WhoSampled misses a lot of her stuff.

There's someone on RateYourMusic who has compiled a crowd sourced list that's mostly complete https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nevel_Pa ... eenage-dj/ and I've found a few really interesting things through that

Like, for real, because her headcanon aesthetic is channeling this turn of the millennium, what if Sabrina The Teenage Witch was secretly a DJ there's obviously some of it that's forgotten Disney channel sounding stuff, but then it gets meta with forgotten vanity projects by actors, and just some absolutely wild pulls from the 80s and 90s.

Kind of reminds me of the hell interface thing with using colonel Adams, you know? Some of it is there to make you smile but some of it is genuinely a forgotten find.

I mostly don't listen to some random persons playlist of stuff, cos you almost know what you're going to hear before you play it. One of the things I LOVED about SxT was the obscure things it finds value in, you're getting the value of someone's crate digging who really listens.

Well, I get that with DJ Sabrina. What she makes sounds mostly nothing like its sources, and she's definitely pulling from a different set of crates than Mike and Marcus but she's got the ear.


Thanks for this recommendation. I don't usually get into house beyond maybe Daft Punk since I tend more toward syncopation than 4 on the floor, but her stuff has so much depth and has drawn me in, vocals too. But my god there are so many releases.. :shock: enjoying HeartsDesires, Fantasy and Not There Yet.

Re: Tips for discovering new music

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2026 7:15 pm
by Bocolito
Google maps. Grab a country, then use wiki and other sources to find traditional and modern artists.

Re: Tips for discovering new music

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2026 1:12 am
by Glen_Glog
Alvin wrote: