Page 2 of 3
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:28 pm
by dave_from_2001
Gruff wrote:
I don't think I'm the only one who could be experiencing this phenomena. At least I hope so. And it appears that Lynch and BOC have at least their approach to sound engineering/mixing in common
I would agree. Having seen Lynch at work in the studio in a video, he was focusing so on what he is hearing I thought he was going to bust. He seemed very concerned with the correct feeling of the music to suit images in his head--gorgeous, strange and dreamy. Both are complete artists and attempt to work on their own terms while chasing perfection. I think they have a similar outlook or philosophy about mankind's funny and harrowing place in nature.
I can't see any thematic relationship between them though. Maybe?
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:18 am
by Gruff
Thanks Saob & Dave_from_2001, and the rest who replied to my post. I dig this forum, even though I don't drop by often. I think I should tho.
Anyway, I'd like to add that my earlier post is kinda confusing because of the mention that Pete Standing Alone is on the TransCanada Highway album. It's actually on the MHTRTC album. lol Sorry for that, but I was high when I posted and a little confused at the time. Dope! lol
Still, even though my details are sketchy and dubious (lol), I'd like to stand by my claims that there is something mysterious going on in the sound design of artists like BoC, David Lynch and others. Of course, I'm taking us all into Manson territory here, so the idea may seem kinda crazy or even dangerous. But don't worry. I'm not into chopping off heads, nor ears, even if they're not really being used. lol
What convinces me that I am on the right path is that I have discovered a hidden animation layer in David Lynch's Mulholland Drive. I made a short post briefly explaining my findings on another forum:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1624&view=previous
Stay with me on this now. It may seem like a bit much for any filmmaker or musician to do, but if they take their craft seriously, then I don't see why not.
I'm not sure if I'm being too vague here. I'd be really interested in what the members of this forum have to say on this idea of sound and image. It seems in a way, almost akin to magic.
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:40 am
by Saakki
Gruff..that sound trippy. I read the post you made in to the another forum. Hope you are not trolling or anything
Oh and please..anyone. What was in here
http://www.warprecords.com/666/ ? Everyone says It's cool and wonderful but the link doesnt work anymore..anyone able to find the "movie" from somewhere else?
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:49 am
by Kinski
Saakki wrote:Gruff..that sound trippy. I read the post you made in to the another forum. Hope you are not trolling or anything
Oh and please..anyone. What was in here
http://www.warprecords.com/666/ ? Everyone says It's cool and wonderful but the link doesnt work anymore..anyone able to find the "movie" from somewhere else?
try this and find out yourself!
http://web.archive.org/web/200703132126 ... s.com/666/
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:31 am
by hexagon son
Saakki wrote:Gruff..that sound trippy. I read the post you made in to the another forum. Hope you are not trolling or anything
Oh and please..anyone. What was in here
http://www.warprecords.com/666/ ? Everyone says It's cool and wonderful but the link doesnt work anymore..anyone able to find the "movie" from somewhere else?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNSZ4MqsGXc
enjoy.
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:11 pm
by Saakki
Archrival wrote:its brilliant I lovet it

listen to it lots on bike rides n trips while being stoned

its 30 perfect minutes
30 minutes? Or I'm reading/understanding something wrong?
And Yeah I have that Invocation video and been aware of that ..thanks anyways. I thought it would be something different!
Oh and Kinski's archive doesnt exists anymore.
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:58 pm
by Snufkin
Gruff wrote:Thanks Saob & Dave_from_2001, and the rest who replied to my post. I dig this forum, even though I don't drop by often. I think I should tho.
Anyway, I'd like to add that my earlier post is kinda confusing because of the mention that Pete Standing Alone is on the TransCanada Highway album. It's actually on the MHTRTC album. lol Sorry for that, but I was high when I posted and a little confused at the time. Dope! lol
Still, even though my details are sketchy and dubious (lol), I'd like to stand by my claims that there is something mysterious going on in the sound design of artists like BoC, David Lynch and others. Of course, I'm taking us all into Manson territory here, so the idea may seem kinda crazy or even dangerous. But don't worry. I'm not into chopping off heads, nor ears, even if they're not really being used. lol
What convinces me that I am on the right path is that I have discovered a hidden animation layer in David Lynch's Mulholland Drive. I made a short post briefly explaining my findings on another forum:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1624&view=previousStay with me on this now. It may seem like a bit much for any filmmaker or musician to do, but if they take their craft seriously, then I don't see why not.
I'm not sure if I'm being too vague here. I'd be really interested in what the members of this forum have to say on this idea of sound and image. It seems in a way, almost akin to magic.
Dubious is the right word
-Snuf
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:03 pm
by Altruizine
yamph
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:21 pm
by Gruff
Trolling? Now why would I do that? I may crack jokes but I don't see the point in trying to make a fool out of people. Anyway, we seem to do that pretty well by ourselves.
& I'd expect to be accused of being a droll before a troll. lol
I wish someone would actively & seriously engage me one this. I feel confident about my findings. I literally have the hard evidence for my claims.
This is not some hazy perception aided by mind altering substances. I love Cannabis, but I can still tell a roach from a cockroach, even while I'm high.
If anyone out there get's what I'm saying please reply. If I'm not being clear enough, I'll try my best to elaborate.
Cheers, from Sunny Cape Town
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:01 pm
by Kinski
Saakki wrote:Oh and Kinski's archive doesnt exists anymore.
oohh. sorry then.
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:46 pm
by Saakki
No problems Kinski and sorry for talking about trolling Gruff. Sounds trippy enough for me to. Atm I'm obtaining a HD version of Lost Highway. Will look into it later

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:27 pm
by Gruff
Saakki wrote:... and sorry for talking about trolling Gruff. Sounds trippy enough for me to. Atm I'm obtaining a HD version of Lost Highway. Will look into it later

No problem Saakki. I'm glad you asked if I was serious about it.
& that's so cool you're getting an HD copy of Lost Highway. I can only imagine what the experience would be like

I'll look forward to your own findings. This should be interesting...
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:48 pm
by Snufkin
Gruff wrote:Trolling? Now why would I do that? I may crack jokes but I don't see the point in trying to make a fool out of people. Anyway, we seem to do that pretty well by ourselves.
& I'd expect to be accused of being a droll before a troll. lol
I wish someone would actively & seriously engage me one this. I feel confident about my findings. I literally have the hard evidence for my claims.
This is not some hazy perception aided by mind altering substances. I love Cannabis, but I can still tell a roach from a cockroach, even while I'm high.
If anyone out there get's what I'm saying please reply. If I'm not being clear enough, I'll try my best to elaborate.
Cheers, from Sunny Cape Town
Alright then, please elaborate and be clearer - especially about your literal 'hard evidence'.
-Snuf
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 pm
by PadraïK
mechanismj wrote:God, how I do love that link!
bummer I get
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /666/ on this server."
wtf?
edit: OK, I continued reading

thanx for links
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:07 pm
by s7409651
Gruff wrote:Cheers, from Sunny Cape Town
..Another Boccer on this forum from Cape Town??!!

whoa!
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:21 pm
by zeitgeist
Snufkin wrote:Gruff wrote:Trolling? Now why would I do that? I may crack jokes but I don't see the point in trying to make a fool out of people. Anyway, we seem to do that pretty well by ourselves.
& I'd expect to be accused of being a droll before a troll. lol
I wish someone would actively & seriously engage me one this. I feel confident about my findings. I literally have the hard evidence for my claims.
This is not some hazy perception aided by mind altering substances. I love Cannabis, but I can still tell a roach from a cockroach, even while I'm high.
If anyone out there get's what I'm saying please reply. If I'm not being clear enough, I'll try my best to elaborate.
Cheers, from Sunny Cape Town
Alright then, please elaborate and be clearer - especially about your literal 'hard evidence'.
-Snuf
interested too
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm
by Saakki
Gruff wrote:Saakki wrote:... and sorry for talking about trolling Gruff. Sounds trippy enough for me to. Atm I'm obtaining a HD version of Lost Highway. Will look into it later

No problem Saakki. I'm glad you asked if I was serious about it.
& that's so cool you're getting an HD copy of Lost Highway. I can only imagine what the experience would be like

I'll look forward to your own findings. This should be interesting...
Peace mate. Gonna watch it with my projector next week and will set my mind to an observing state

Re: 1 year of Trans Canada Highway
Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:02 pm
by nsputnik
Green Pylon wrote: I like a lot the "clac" of rythm sound, who know what it is? .
These are drum sounds sampled at a low bit rate and sample rate. You can get this kind of effect with a Emu Emax at the lowest sample rate setting, 10khz. The 12 bit nature of this machine also contributes to the sound, but this cannot be adjusted. In the into and right after the break there are what sound to me like pitched down snares or claps and and tambourine hits sampled at 10khz. The bongs near the end of LSD and maybe the ones heard in Skyliner may have the same treatment.
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 pm
by Gruff
Okay cool. I had the movie file converted but I deleted it and now I've forgotten how. So I'll have to get some videohelp and will post some of the hard evidence then.
But basically you can find this evidence for yourself if you have the time and inclination for it. (PM me if you like and I can share what worked for me.)
Reading the rest of this may be a spoiler. You can stop here and find the evidence for yourself first it you like. With some patience you can see it before I can pollute your perception.
*SPOILER*- the Easter Egg of all eggs (& chickens).
Let me be plain on the evidence so I can encourage you to investigate for yourselves.
A few scenes stand out in my memory:
Betty & Adam meet eyes at the audition
Betty and Rita take a cab to the theatre
Aunt Ruth, reaches for the keys on the table she had left behind.
There are thousands more I have not noted. I believe the animation is a hidden layer which Lynch intended to play throughout the entire length of the film. I can guess his reasons for doing this but I may never really know. He is pretty tight lipped and cryptic about his work. Yet it's interesting to note that he is quite happy to share his methods and gives cryptic clues to reading his work.
I think many good artists have secrets they wish to keep hidden. & I wonder if Lynch would be open to talking about his use of animation layers. Maybe not. & Sound? Would'nt count on it either. But the lack of commentry on such areas of his work should pique our interest.
Sorry to talk about filmmakers when this is a BoC site, but I think we can take this approach to BoC and other serious artists too. There is always an element of mystery surrounding the serious artist. & BoC are seriously serious artists!
I hope that was detailed enough. If not, I'll try again. I kinda dislike being responsible for directing how people read works if I can help it.
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:45 pm
by Gruff
That "clac" sound is perhaps a kind of signature that goes perfectly well with the BoC sound.
I think of boards being smacked together. Only this sounds more erotic in nature. lol
Thanks for that detailed explanation nsputnic. It's kinda facsinating how it all get's formed together 1 vibration at a time.
But why use such low frq rates then? Is it purely for aesthetic/creative reasons or is their a somewhat higher purpose?