TAME IMPALA

Moderator: Aesthetics

User avatar
The Telepathic Kid
Happy Cycler
Posts: 3051
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by The Telepathic Kid »

Tame Impala have been nominated for several of the ARIA (Australian Recording Industry Association) Awards.
They've been nominated for Album of the Year, Best Group, Best Rock Album and Best Breakthrough Artist.
http://www.take40.com/news/20335/2010-A ... -List-Here!

Hopefully they get all of them, and win other awards they weren't nominated for.
Let's hope and pray, since they're the best Australian band since The Avalanches.
Go those guys!
User avatar
dp
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1127
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:59 am
Location: pen expers
Contact:

Post by dp »

off topic but aren't Cut Copy from Australia? i quite liked In Ghost Colours.
Image
User avatar
rolypablo
Sherbet Head
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Post by rolypablo »

Yes, they are, and are also on Modular Records. Cut Copy should be due an album if they are still together.

Another band worth checking out is The Midnight Juggernauts.
User avatar
The Telepathic Kid
Happy Cycler
Posts: 3051
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by The Telepathic Kid »

I only really like Tame Impala, The Avalanches, Architecture in Helsinki and Hermitude.
User avatar
The Telepathic Kid
Happy Cycler
Posts: 3051
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: TAME IMPALA

Post by The Telepathic Kid »

there's been like 3-4 threads about these guys, so I'm gonna use the very first one. CLOSE EM ALL.

Currents leaked, I decided to have a full listen, no interruptions or distractions, here are my thoughts.

It's pretty great. Maybe a step down from Innerspeaker, or equal to.
Still has Kevin's great ear for production, sounds brilliant on headphones, just sound-wise it's a knock of out the park.
Guitars play a much smaller part in the album, with keys and vocals being the main focal point for most of the time.
The mix of modern r'n'b with funk influences, and the use of synthetic strings and brass make it sound like a weird mix of Thriller and The Soft Bulletin, which I totally get behind.
Its sonic palette isn't as diverse as what Lonerism was, though, and I feel that could be a hindrance for some, as pulling the songs apart may be more difficult.

I can see it growing, though. For sure.
I can't see it hitting the spectacular explosive qualities of Lonerism, but in the same sense, Currents is also a bold statement.
That seems to be a thing where Kevin hasn't really stepped out of line with yet, all of Tame Impala's records have felt like cohesive pieces of work, instead of a collection of songs. Currents sounds like it's saying something, but if you compare it to what Lonerism was saying, the message is a little less obscured and more straightforward.

Fave tracks would be
Eventually (I totally underwrote that track initially, it has a great sense of dynamics and the chorus melody is irresistible.)
Past Life (Probably the most experimental cut, but it's also paired with the stickiest melody. The heavy hip hop beat and the blown out bass with the phasing and droning synths, all together create a surreal mood that is utterly intoxicating. The way it leads into Disciples really works well, too.)
Reality in Motion (I read NME's review, and they said this was one of the weak parts, which I don't agree with at all. I feel it's the poppiest song on the album, it's got a great chorus, and the lyrics are relateable, and is pretty darn upbeat at that. I'm surprised this wasn't chosen to be a single, really.)

I didn't find a single song to be bad, there were one or two forgettable tracks, but with a sound that's so homogenous, some things do get lost in the mush.
Hell, even the singles I was initially apprehensive on have grown on me. I jammin to I'm a Man while I was listening, for sure.

score (in p4k terms): 8.7
User avatar
Echo the Sun
Eagle Minded
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:33 pm

Re: TAME IMPALA

Post by Echo the Sun »

their stuff is indulgent and expected, so, naturally, i like it :)
User avatar
Betacord
Eagle Minded
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: TAME IMPALA

Post by Betacord »

Have heard Disciples, 'Cause I'm A Man and Let It Happen recently; this looks to be worth checking out.

Of those three, Disciples jumped out as catchy on first listen with the way it goes straight in, short and (bitter)sweet; the synth melody over the chords and how the production 'switches' as if from past to present, is cool. On the flipside, Let It Happen has that 'skipping CD' moment in the middle which is the only thing I'm still not sure about... But that really is the only thing. The reverb on 'Cause I'm A Man is what makes it, IMO... That song was a grower. Definitely getting summer vibes with these.
User avatar
realspiel
Eagle Minded
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:35 pm
Location: Wales

Re: TAME IMPALA

Post by realspiel »

Reality in motion, soft bulletin meets a wizard a true star, yes please..
User avatar
The Telepathic Kid
Happy Cycler
Posts: 3051
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: TAME IMPALA

Post by The Telepathic Kid »

I never thought about it, but this is rather Todd Rundgren-esque, as well.

good call, there.
User avatar
Radiobuzz
Eagle Minded
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:20 am
Location: On a beach in Argentina

Re: TAME IMPALA

Post by Radiobuzz »

I totally agree with Reality in Motion, is so damn catchy and definitely a high point for me. I'm really digging this album, only heard it a couple of times but I really like it. I'm not a huge fan of Yes I'm Changing and I haven't really gotten into the last two tracks, so I'm sure it will keep growing on me.
---
Fuck transphobes
Post a reply