Page 2 of 3

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:55 pm
by fujee
Not really anything as brilliant as that album, but Talkie Walkie is great and Virgin Suicides OST is also stong. Their whole catalogue is reasonably good to be honest.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:59 pm
by Integer
fujee wrote:Not really anything as brilliant as that album, but Talkie Walkie is great and Virgin Suicides OST is also stong. Their whole catalogue is reasonably good to be honest.


I agree. Their whole catalog is pretty solid, but 'Talkie Walkie' probably has the most in common with 'Moon Safari' as far as mood and style of the songwriting.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:13 pm
by portiss
zeitgeist wrote:did AIR ever do anything else like moon safari? i haven't explored them much, but really enjoyed that album.


I think Moon Safari is their best, but Talkie Walkie is really good as well. Their soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides is really good as well. As for their newer stuff, it's good, but not as good as Moon Safari and Talkie walkie.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:06 pm
by Mexicola
Re: BOC and declining interest. I've been wondering for a while now if the reason for 'the delay' is them wanting to remain under the radar as it were. ie. are they waiting for the interest to die down before 'returning'? Probably bollocks of course.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:09 pm
by d3v3l
I am too simple minded to lose interest in a band like this.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:01 pm
by IanRedpoint
I still class Boards as my favourite artist even though I can go weeks and months without listening to them. Their tunes are embedded in my head anyway so they feel like a constant companion, never really going away.

My other "favourite" band is My Bloody Valentine and I can still feel excited about them despite having had no new music for 20 years and a much smaller discography to return to.

I guess my interest in these bands ebbs and flows even if my love for them never wavers. It never worries me because of all the other great music out there happening right now. I know my favourite records will always be there to return to when I need a boost of whatever unique thing they give me.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:09 pm
by turquoise70
No, sorry, I'm with Guido.

BoC are not my favorite band anymore. They're definitely still in the Top 10, but I'm not even sure I'd put them in my Top 5, if I felt compelled to produce a list of just 5 bands I love. And the high position they enjoy is largely due to my recognizing, PURELY from an intellectual standpoint, that they are innovators and have contributed some solid gems to music history. That's not from the heart, that's just a fact I'm willing to recognize. And the heart is what I'm concerned with.

I'm not just worn out of listening to the music, either - the music is good, good music doesn't stop being good just because you're tired of it. But I'm tired of the themes, the whole approach and philosophy, all that just is not where my head's at anymore. BoC's music as anything but sounds - BoC's music as a vehicle for ideas, thoughts, imagery - everything besides the bare audio of it - has passed its prime as an interesting world to inhabit, in my mind.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:28 pm
by Treefingers
It's easier not to have a favourite band, and just have a load of bands you really like.

I really like Boards of Canada.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:49 pm
by rdy2bz
I remember a thread here in which people described in bullets what happened to their lives since the last boc album was out. Man, I completely changed ... and with that, my music interests are not this narrow any more.

I only regret that I can't avoid the endless wait for a new release.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:40 pm
by IanRedpoint
turquoise70 wrote:I'm not just worn out of listening to the music, either - the music is good, good music doesn't stop being good just because you're tired of it. But I'm tired of the themes, the whole approach and philosophy, all that just is not where my head's at anymore. BoC's music as anything but sounds - BoC's music as a vehicle for ideas, thoughts, imagery - everything besides the bare audio of it - has passed its prime as an interesting world to inhabit, in my mind.

I know exactly where you're coming from with that, and it's a very healthy attitude to take. :)

I've obsessed over so many bands in the past 25 years, and some I over-played (R.E.M., The Smiths, Depeche Mode...) to the point where it took a break of about 10 years until I could bring myself to listen to them again. Some you never come back to at all, but the ones you do return to are because the music itself still thrills you in some way even when you've largely forgotten the themes and philosphy. I think that BoC and Autechre both have that ability.

Treefingers wrote:It's easier not to have a favourite band, and just have a load of bands you really like.

Definitely. The list of bands I like is constantly shifting and changing, but if I was cornered by someone and asked what my favourite band is I'd always come out with BoC, My Bloody Valentine or Radiohead. They probably are my long-term favourites although I'll almost always be currently fascinated/infatuated with someone else. ;)

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:07 pm
by saurus
Fujee! Lovely avatar. Didn't notice before! What a wonderful album it is, I even got to see the somewhat watered down version of Buena Vista Social Club perform in Liverpool in March :)

Also, I like how in discussing AIR nobody has mentioned 10,000 hz legend.. haha. Not a fantastic album in my humble opinion.

But yeah sorry this post isnt that on topic... uh yeah, no declining interest from me. I listen to bands in moods and modes. Moods are when I can sustainably listen to something on and off for weeks or months, and modes when I just get it on the brain. Anybody else have something similar? Anyway I have had times when I've not been in the mood for BoC but still hold them in very high regard!

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:20 am
by Totopatter
saurus wrote:But yeah sorry this post isnt that on topic... uh yeah, no declining interest from me. I listen to bands in moods and modes. Moods are when I can sustainably listen to something on and off for weeks or months, and modes when I just get it on the brain.


same here

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
by Rincon
portiss wrote:
zeitgeist wrote:did AIR ever do anything else like moon safari? i haven't explored them much, but really enjoyed that album.


I think Moon Safari is their best, but Talkie Walkie is really good as well. Their soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides is really good as well. As for their newer stuff, it's good, but not as good as Moon Safari and Talkie walkie.


Love 2 was trash but Pocket Symphony is one of the most underrated albums ever.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:21 am
by warphead
They have moved up the scale for me :shock:

Aphex and Autechre were always my kings of braindance. To be honest BoC I didn't pay that much attention too. I always thought a lot of their music was 30% killer and 60% filler (esp Geogaddi), and MHTRTC had a few classic tunes on but a lot of forgettablw wishy, washy, hippy nonsense.

Then about 2 years ago I revisited those 2 albums. Geogaddi was first to start moving up gears in my brain, the MHTRTC followed suit, as I began to realise how very, very wrong my opinion was :lol:

About 6 months ago I was playing MHTRTC twice a day, beginning to end lol. And I actually laugh when I think about my original opinion of Geogaddi. A Beautiful Place....is one of the greatest electronic ep's I ever heard, perhaps not as great as Come to Daddy but still mind-blowing.

A couple of years back I wouldn't of placed BoC in my top 50 artisits (bearing in mind I listen to lots of other genre's of music). Now I would say they would be easily in the top 5.

I guess I finally got it.

8)

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 pm
by fujee
saurus wrote:Fujee! Lovely avatar. Didn't notice before! What a wonderful album it is, I even got to see the somewhat watered down version of Buena Vista Social Club perform in Liverpool in March :)


Ah it's because i recently changed it man :)
Thats so cool! Id love to see any members of Buena Vista live, I want to visit Cuba so much

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:43 pm
by Opothecary
I'd say deep down, they are still my favorite but my life has changed a lot since the last release. I've gotten married and bought a house since Trans Canada. It is still my most eagerly awaited release and will continue to be, but as much as I love them my life has never really revolved around them. It's hard to submerge yourself in a musical obsession when there's no live shows and sporadic output. I was sure that we'd see either leaks or official releases of all that old material by now but it feels like its been so long since Trans Canada and the Old Tunes leaks. I probably spend more time listening to other music because I don't want to ever get sick of BoC.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:53 pm
by monrobot
Agree with the original comment.

Wrote a blog post about this very thing back in January - The long wait for Boards of Canada

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:54 pm
by Will
If you listen to anything for long enough, you're going to get sick of it, even if you still love it. Do what I do, make an ative effort to find some new bands and get really into them. Eventually you'll listn to BoC again, and it will be just like old times.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:29 am
by The Telepathic Kid
Rincon wrote:
portiss wrote:
zeitgeist wrote:did AIR ever do anything else like moon safari? i haven't explored them much, but really enjoyed that album.


I think Moon Safari is their best, but Talkie Walkie is really good as well. Their soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides is really good as well. As for their newer stuff, it's good, but not as good as Moon Safari and Talkie walkie.


Love 2 was trash but Pocket Symphony is one of the most underrated albums ever.


I enjoyed Love 2 over Pocket Symphony.

but no one has mentioned their first EP Premier Symptomes, that shit rules, it's about as close to Moon Safari as you're gonna get.

On topic, I side with Fredd-E on this subject, I just don't listen to them full on, I never really did except for the first week I got into them. I don't know if they were ever my favourite band, Stereolab's always had that place. :3

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:44 am
by 23degreesdream
out of interest is anyone able to utilize LastFM statistics to find out if their listeners have declined over the last, say, 2-3 years?