Page 3 of 4

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:45 pm
by Twoism-ist
turquoise70 wrote:Hey, I resurrecting this again because I still have a fake track from Hooper Bay that I need identified, and I couldn't find the info for it on Bocpages (I tried the Hooper Bay page and the Known Fakes page)

It's labeled Noatak, and it's 8:39 in length. It's a heavy, beat-driven track with bendy synths that sound a little like some early Autechre funk-horns, and there's this persistent vocal sample saying something along the lines of "It's still a long way home so I said we walk it... ten miles"

Who is this actually by? I remember somebody on this forum talking about it, but I also searched Twoism for Noatak and couldn't find the conversation.

EDIT: Actually I just noticed this track seems to partially loop - it appears to really be only 5:20 and then it starts over again, and runs til 8:39. Weird.


I was the one who posted about it! More than once too probably. I've had no luck as well identifying this track, which has grown on me. It's a breaks track, very crystal method-like.

heres the upload again if anyones curious http://www.mediafire.com/?wmi2zigoimn

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 pm
by Twoist
Mum - Walk Ten Miles

http://is.gd/hqs3r8

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:00 pm
by Twoism-ist
Twoist wrote:Mum - Walk Ten Miles

http://is.gd/hqs3r8


AWESOME. Wow, wish I got a reply that fast over 2 years ago. i think someone mentioned Mum but I thought they were referring to múm, thinking "no, that can't be right." ty!

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:04 pm
by Twoist
Twoism-ist wrote:
Twoist wrote:Mum - Walk Ten Miles

http://is.gd/hqs3r8


AWESOME. Wow, wish I got a reply that fast over 2 years ago. i think someone mentioned Mum but I thought they were referring to múm, thinking "no, that can't be right." ty!


You're welcome :D It's an awesome track..

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 pm
by turquoise70
Thank you!! That is awesome. Twoism comes through yet again! :D

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 10:38 am
by zeoevil
Is this a new one or has anybody heard this before? On mobile so I cant find the embed stuff right now.
https://youtu.be/nDKY2n1kwYE?feature=shared

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 12:06 pm
by Orbited insanitarium
zeoevil wrote:Is this a new one or has anybody heard this before? On mobile so I cant find the embed stuff right now.
https://youtu.be/nDKY2n1kwYE?feature=shared


It's certainly very nice sounding, the track times do line up, and it's what I would expect if an actual Hooper Bay came to light and got leaked, being suspensful and minimal but also nothing special. Doesn't blow me away but I had a good time listening. 8)

To all of you, don't get into fights this time eh? :wink:

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 1:43 pm
by mGardener
zeoevil wrote:Is this a new one or has anybody heard this before? On mobile so I cant find the embed stuff right now.
https://youtu.be/nDKY2n1kwYE?feature=shared


$1 Hooper Bay hoax vs $1000000 Hooper Bay hoax

Sorry but the Biznasty & Niski hoax seems far more believable than this, because it ACTUALLY sounds like a darker AFOT, this, in comparison sounds like if you tried to make a BoC album in a day.

Everything except Circle and Point Hope sound like generic “BoC like” songs.

How have we managed to go from chordplayer77 to this?

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 1:48 pm
by luminousdusk
It's good, But as usual uploader acts oblivious to its legendary status. No photos, Yet.

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 1:48 pm
by Orbited insanitarium
Pops and crackle wise, it's a bit too clean for 1994 no? It sounds like the composer has made the tunes, dialled down the volume and treble a little, added the hiss and added the crackles. The mechanics of this being a rip of a real vinyl record, are slim.

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 1:58 pm
by mGardener
Also, since the pre-Twoism albums were released in 100 tapes per album, and for other releases they were made in lower quantities, so the real Hooper bay might be unofficially released in cassette instead of a mint vinyl (if the copies were even taken care of)

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 2:07 pm
by niski
mGardener wrote:
zeoevil wrote:Is this a new one or has anybody heard this before? On mobile so I cant find the embed stuff right now.
https://youtu.be/nDKY2n1kwYE?feature=shared


$1 Hooper Bay hoax vs $1000000 Hooper Bay hoax

Sorry but the Biznasty & Niski hoax seems far more believable than this, because it ACTUALLY sounds like a darker AFOT, this, in comparison sounds like if you tried to make a BoC album in a day.

Everything except Circle and Point Hope sound like generic “BoC like” songs.

How have we managed to go from chordplayer77 to this?


eh i actually like the music on this one, way more believable than chordplayer77 to me lol
but indeed the suspicious part is 2 things:
- 50hz hum with no harmonics (that does not really happen, usually the strongest harmonics occur at 100hz and 150hz and not 50hz)
- pops & crackles remind me more of a skipping CD than a vinyl record

stuff that's done well is for example "noatak" on this sounds like an earlier rendition of atp07 which is a very boc-accurate approach to this (compare tunes on r35tt, there's a lot of recurring drum patterns or certain synths in their later releases from it)

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 2:34 pm
by luminousdusk
One thing that stands out to me is the difference between this "Noatak" and ATP07, Which I don't think is Noatak but anyway, In this version it is very minimal, Distinct lack of any bass drums. Then in ATP07 they're like, Why don't we just put this devastating bass drum over it and turn it from a minimal piece into an absolute banger?

Taken from the Hardware Addicts interview from 1997:

What do you think is the most common mistake of live acts?

MS: Often something completely different is played than is known from the records. I was always very disappointed when a band played something different at the live gig.

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 4:26 pm
by mGardener
niski wrote:
mGardener wrote:
zeoevil wrote:Is this a new one or has anybody heard this before? On mobile so I cant find the embed stuff right now.
https://youtu.be/nDKY2n1kwYE?feature=shared


$1 Hooper Bay hoax vs $1000000 Hooper Bay hoax

Sorry but the Biznasty & Niski hoax seems far more believable than this, because it ACTUALLY sounds like a darker AFOT, this, in comparison sounds like if you tried to make a BoC album in a day.

Everything except Circle and Point Hope sound like generic “BoC like” songs.

How have we managed to go from chordplayer77 to this?


eh i actually like the music on this one, way more believable than chordplayer77 to me lol
but indeed the suspicious part is 2 things:
- 50hz hum with no harmonics (that does not really happen, usually the strongest harmonics occur at 100hz and 150hz and not 50hz)
- pops & crackles remind me more of a skipping CD than a vinyl record

stuff that's done well is for example "noatak" on this sounds like an earlier rendition of atp07 which is a very boc-accurate approach to this (compare tunes on r35tt, there's a lot of recurring drum patterns or certain synths in their later releases from it)


I personally think that the drums don’t sound anything like a BoC record from that era, look at AFOT with spectrum, forest moon, the way you show, etc. OTV2 with mukinabaht, staircase whip, etc. Or half of R35TT. Hell, even 1969.

The only song that I could see believing is point hope, because the melodies and the drums match up with the old tunes/r35tt sound, down to the reused filtered forest moon drums. Similar to Oirectine’s heavily edited June 9th and 5.9.78 beat.

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 4:38 pm
by luminousdusk
Point hope was the point I lost all hope

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 4:39 pm
by mGardener
luminousdusk wrote:Point hope was the point I lost all hope


Circle left me in circles

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 4:58 pm
by Orbited insanitarium
mGardener wrote:
luminousdusk wrote:Point hope was the point I lost all hope


Circle left me in circles


Geiser made me say why???-ser

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 5:01 pm
by playbyletters
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Pops and crackle wise, it's a bit too clean for 1994 no? It sounds like the composer has made the tunes, dialled down the volume and treble a little, added the hiss and added the crackles. The mechanics of this being a rip of a real vinyl record, are slim.


That vinyl crackle is absolutely not real. It's just computer generated noise made to resemble tape hiss with some artificially added pops on top. Sounds like someone playing pops on a MIDI keyboard, evenly spacing them out. Or using that Vinyl Distortion plugin that comes with Ableton.

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 6:51 pm
by northernlite
also...

Hooper Bay is the name of Boards of Canada's fifth known release. Hooper Bay introduced the use of children's voices (see Jockey Slut interview), a technique which would remain a staple of the band's style through the release of Geogaddi.

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Hooper_Bay

i didn't hear any of that, unless i missed it...?

EDIT: aaaand its gone, good thing i grabbed a copy first :)

Re: Hooper Bay

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 9:15 pm
by luminousdusk
Counterfeit, Upload, Delete, Repeat

Such a bizarre phenomenon