Page 3 of 4

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:59 pm
by DaveJ
Ok all sorted at long last! Cheers lads

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:08 am
by Blackjwell
Blackjwell wrote:I would be interested.


forgot to include: blackjwell@gmail.com

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 am
by TaoTapeTao
here is something sort of in progress i did with a rhythm stem someone posted.. can't remember who lol

http://soundcloud.com/maketapesounds/working-on-somethin

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:21 am
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:here is something sort of in progress i did with a rhythm stem someone posted.. can't remember who lol

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/It%27s%20Goin2.wav?w=24552c01


It's giving me a 403.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 am
by TaoTapeTao
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:here is something sort of in progress i did with a rhythm stem someone posted.. can't remember who lol

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/It%27s%20Goin2.wav?w=24552c01


It's giving me a 403.


heres a soundcloud link instead

http://soundcloud.com/maketapesounds/working-on-somethin

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:28 am
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:here is something sort of in progress i did with a rhythm stem someone posted.. can't remember who lol

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/It%27s%20Goin2.wav?w=24552c01


It's giving me a 403.


heres a soundcloud link instead

http://soundcloud.com/maketapesounds/working-on-somethin


Oh, hell yeah. I pulled that drum loop off this KPM music library. Nice job, man. Where are the synths from?

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:26 pm
by lostintegrity
Who deleted most of the files in the dropbox?

EDIT: Found out a user was deleting most of the stuff on the dropbox. I'm going to try and go back and restore what I can. For now invitations are closed.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm
by DaveJ
lostintegrity wrote:Who deleted most of the files in the dropbox?

EDIT: Found out a user was deleting most of the stuff on the dropbox. I'm going to try and go back and restore what I can. For now invitations are closed.


noticed that too, wonder why? i only got it sorted last night, and the few bits i put up where deleted already

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 pm
by TaoTapeTao
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:here is something sort of in progress i did with a rhythm stem someone posted.. can't remember who lol

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/It%27s%20Goin2.wav?w=24552c01


It's giving me a 403.


heres a soundcloud link instead

http://soundcloud.com/maketapesounds/working-on-somethin


Oh, hell yeah. I pulled that drum loop off this KPM music library. Nice job, man. Where are the synths from?


Thanks man. The synths are all sampled guitar notes or sampled tones that are processed in logic.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 pm
by TaoTapeTao
DaveJ wrote:
lostintegrity wrote:Who deleted most of the files in the dropbox?

EDIT: Found out a user was deleting most of the stuff on the dropbox. I'm going to try and go back and restore what I can. For now invitations are closed.


noticed that too, wonder why? i only got it sorted last night, and the few bits i put up where deleted already


Why would someone delete stuff? That's kinda lame.. unless it was me by accident because I was deleting a ton of my own dropbox stuff but I'm fairly sure I avoided touching that dropbox folder

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:44 pm
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:here is something sort of in progress i did with a rhythm stem someone posted.. can't remember who lol

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/It%27s%20Goin2.wav?w=24552c01


It's giving me a 403.


heres a soundcloud link instead

http://soundcloud.com/maketapesounds/working-on-somethin


Oh, hell yeah. I pulled that drum loop off this KPM music library. Nice job, man. Where are the synths from?


Thanks man. The synths are all sampled guitar notes or sampled tones that are processed in logic.


Oh wow. The synths had an interesting texture, so I was curious. How do you sample the guitar notes, exactly? Do you stretch them or what?

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:30 am
by TaoTapeTao
I was actually mistaken- the synth sounding notes are a doorball chime that's heavily processed. They were just sampled as is and heavily processed in logic with tape delay and distortion and some modulation.

The more boardsy sounding stuff is guitar tones and just sample tones put through a lot of tape delay/decay as well. The guitar is sampled as a swelled note- meaning I pluck a note and then swell the volume so it sounds more like a texture.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:03 am
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:I was actually mistaken- the synth sounding notes are a doorball chime that's heavily processed. They were just sampled as is and heavily processed in logic with tape delay and distortion and some modulation.

The more boardsy sounding stuff is guitar tones and just sample tones put through a lot of tape delay/decay as well. The guitar is sampled as a swelled note- meaning I pluck a note and then swell the volume so it sounds more like a texture.


You just gave me an idea. Hahah. I never thought about using a doorbell as a synth. By the way, you can do some cool stuff with the sound of an AC unit.

That's really creative though. I guess I've just gotten lazy because I've just been messing with a lot of synth presets lately. Hahah. I haven't felt like recording actual instruments lately.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm
by Blackjwell
TaoTapeTao wrote:I was actually mistaken- the synth sounding notes are a doorball chime that's heavily processed. They were just sampled as is and heavily processed in logic with tape delay and distortion and some modulation.

The more boardsy sounding stuff is guitar tones and just sample tones put through a lot of tape delay/decay as well. The guitar is sampled as a swelled note- meaning I pluck a note and then swell the volume so it sounds more like a texture.



I really like your track. Great vibe.

I, as well, like sampling sounds around my house and sampling and manipulating guitars. I am wondering if you would maybe like this: http://blackjwell.bandcamp.com/album/switchology

I am going to sift through the dropbox stuff and start a track later today.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:17 pm
by TaoTapeTao
Thank you sir. I still gotta work on it a bit though.

That's cool that you're into that too- I don't know what it is but there's something really comfortable and natural with just manipulating and recording with what's lying around the house or such.

I'm checking out you're bc and I'm really digging the first track. I'll give the whole thing a listen later on.

Also I will try to get some stems and loops up soon- I've been very distracted lately.

EDIT: I fucking love your song melowahed. The guitars are a really nice touch.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 am
by Blackjwell
TaoTapeTao wrote:Thank you sir. I still gotta work on it a bit though.

That's cool that you're into that too- I don't know what it is but there's something really comfortable and natural with just manipulating and recording with what's lying around the house or such.

I'm checking out you're bc and I'm really digging the first track. I'll give the whole thing a listen later on.

Also I will try to get some stems and loops up soon- I've been very distracted lately.

EDIT: I fucking love your song melowahed. The guitars are a really nice touch.


Thanks a lot. Basically, all those songs were constructed of sounds from my apartment at the time and manipulated guitars, plus drum samples. I remember that editing melowahed was a lengthy task because I had recorded a ridiculous amount of improvised guitar tracks. My girlfriend thought I was insane walking around the place with a mic - recording the kitchen cabinets... But they sounded great!

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:23 am
by bearhead
[/quote]My girlfriend thought I was insane walking around the place with a mic - recording the kitchen cabinets... But they sounded great![/quote]

This reminds me of a funny story, which happened a few days ago. I was walking around, waving my mic in the air with my tape recorder, getting some field recordings from outside, and I turn around, and my neighbors from across the street looked at me like I was a complete idiot.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:04 pm
by TaoTapeTao
Hahaha to blackjwell and bearhead's response- I get the same reaction from so many people. I carry a tape recorder around with me a lot and sometimes people are just really weirded out by it. Also my parents think I'm sorta crazy cuz they find me banging on pots and pans in the dining room (where I record). I'm sure they're used to it by now.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:53 am
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:Hahaha to blackjwell and bearhead's response- I get the same reaction from so many people. I carry a tape recorder around with me a lot and sometimes people are just really weirded out by it. Also my parents think I'm sorta crazy cuz they find me banging on pots and pans in the dining room (where I record). I'm sure they're used to it by now.


Now try taking those pots and pans outside on your front lawn...

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 am
by TaoTapeTao
Haha I'm not sure how people would react to that but I have set up my pedals and effects on my front yard and looped textures and feedback. When people walk by they seem to try their best to pretend they don't notice lol.