Page 1 of 1

Anyone tried a MIDI guitar?

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:44 pm
by saturdayindex
Stumbled on this today. Anybody tried it? I think it could be a lot of fun..

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/11/jams ... -the-ipad/

8)

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:47 pm
by vballs
I have not but damn they look like fun, I want one.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:10 pm
by powershoes
i haven't tried a midi guitar, but this guy has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RgvkuDDaE

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:01 pm
by Treefingers
I'd quite like to be able to run one through the Ableton Simpler, that'd be cool.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:13 pm
by saturdayindex
powershoes wrote:i haven't tried a midi guitar, but this guy has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RgvkuDDaE


That looks pretty interesting as well (though it looks as though it replaces the strings with a load of buttons, which I don't know if I could have the patience for).

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:20 am
by OzModule
I've seen those before but I didn't know they were considered to be a 'midi guitar'.
I've always associated midi guitars with something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oggIhHi2E

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:59 pm
by Beacon
Here's a cheap ($99) guitar to MIDI converter I've been using: http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

It's monophonic but works pretty well for the price.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:52 pm
by Cupz
Here's a thought. Wouldn't it be possible to turn your standard electric guitar into a midi guitar through software? It would just register what note you where playing and it reads it as midi input? Chords would be a bitch, but doable as well I think (harmony ranges?). I'm not convinced I want to spend money on equipment that would solve a problem software could as well (in theory at least). Untill then, I'll keep using this:
Image

and jam it like this:

Image