Page 1 of 1
sesame street vignette music
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm
by rainier
Machinea and I were talking about our love of the old sesame street vignette songs, I thought I'd start a thread. Please add more, I'm sure there's some I've forgotten, but here are some of my favorites:
Pinball number count
Philip Glass circle geometry
capital I and lowercase n
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:29 pm
by rainier
Oh, and not a vignette, but if you've never seen Stevie Wonder's sesame street performance you're totally missing out.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE&feature=fvwrel
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 am
by LuminalStasis
Love the visuals in that Philip Glass one.
The Ladybugs' Picnic pops into my head a lot, it's just too damn catchy.
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:01 pm
by machinea
Wow thanks for starting this thread. I actually took a sample and made a little vignette out of mad painter #8 about two years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-ODZ3ING0
http://instrumentsofflight.bandcamp.com ... ic-painter
I've been wanting Children's Television Workshop to release the first 5 years of sesame street (not just sliced and diced chop stuff) but the way the TV shows were seen back then. Funny enough they now come with a disclaimer saying these shows aren't appropriate for children any longer.
And yeah Capital I got me immediately as a kid. Years later in college I'd come home late morning and catch sesame street sometimes and still really enjoyed the show and one day I caught Capital I. I was so happy. It was great when segments started to get uploaded onto youtube. actually though much of what I liked was the music that was added to stuff they filmed outside the studio. Not the animation numbers but just out at the park or how to make crayons etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_MEFVx5jM
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:17 pm
by machinea
Oh here is a cool one: Making landscapes with land and water. So much good sample material in here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e98_5NpJ-0c
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:59 pm
by A_Northern_Soul
That Stevie Wonder clip is brilliant...
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:50 am
by machinea
I processed two of the sesame street tracks that I thought were kind of fun basically I slowed them down a bit which unfortunately sounds like ass in ableton it would be much better if I chopped the sample and then loaded it into my Akai s1100 and then slowed the sample down.
https://soundcloud.com/roughhewn/bald-eagle-ss-sample
https://soundcloud.com/roughhewn/were-five-ss-sample
They both have some great moments though.
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:50 am
by rainier
machinea wrote:I've been wanting Children's Television Workshop to release the first 5 years of sesame street (not just sliced and diced chop stuff) but the way the TV shows were seen back then.
Yes I'd really like this too. I always think about what an amazing job it must have been to work there in those early years. And I pity the child who didn't grow up with things like the crayon factory.
My ex girlfriend used to have a collection of the old score productions price is right music, which also has some great stuff. I'd like a similar collection of the children's television workshop stuff and maybe just a nice archive of a lot of the incidental television music of that era. It's sad to think of so much of that music getting lost to time.
Oh and I absolutely love what you did with mad painter. I'm checking out more of your stuff stat!
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:17 pm
by machinea
rainier wrote:My ex girlfriend used to have a collection of the old score productions price is right music, which also has some great stuff. I'd like a similar collection of the children's television workshop stuff and maybe just a nice archive of a lot of the incidental television music of that era. It's sad to think of so much of that music getting lost to time.
I'm going to have to look into that. I love stuff like this.. it would be nice to have an ex into any thing I was into musically actually.. alas that was only my first high school gf who shared any of the same musical notions that I had.
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:38 pm
by rainier
Yeah this particular girlfriend had amazing musical interests, it was cool that it wasn't just liking the same bands and stuff, but also we had the same interest in television music and field recording stuff. We had a lot of fun collecting samples.
We had a pretty nice collection of old nature documentaries from the 70s on vhs, so much incredible music. I don't have a tv/vcr now but I might start collecting those again because I've noticed thrift stores aren't selling many vhs tapes anymore, so I want to get them before they're completely obsolete.
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:56 pm
by WeHadNormality
Does anyone remember the one with the animated blue and white hexagon floor tile patterns? It's by a respected animator but his name escapes me and I can find it on youtube. It's definitely on youtube (goddamn why didn't I favorite it!) somewhere cause I watched it recently after reading an article about him on some arts blog. Akkch it's doing my head in!
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:00 pm
by WeHadNormality
Duh! Found it. Al Jarnow was the animator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jWsfVFhgnw
Ace
EDIT: Just realised this thread is about the music not the visuals. Sorry. A bit of big band jazz ain't that bad though 
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:27 pm
by var (x)
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:33 pm
by WeHadNormality