Page 1 of 2

So-bad-its-good cinema

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:55 pm
by Cupz
Hello,

Me and willie really really like movies that are really really bad.
Movies like
-The Room (classic)
-Really bad disney spinoffs like Ratatoing or most of the "golden films".
-Failed high budget movies like League of extraordinary
-Movies with Stephen Seagal or other clunky un-agile action stars

What is your perfect bad-movie-marathon like?

Re: So-bad-its-good cinema

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:24 pm
by Scyye
Cupz wrote:The Room

:!:

Re: So-bad-its-good cinema

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 pm
by Betterthanyourkids
Cupz wrote:

-The Room (classic)



YES THE ROOM

Also
Black Dynamite
Sharktopus
Birdemic
Birdemic 2!

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:49 pm
by Betterthanyourkids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5dJDgZ644

It's good in a bad sort of way

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:29 pm
by rainier
The Room is the creme de la creme of so bad it's good movies, but for many years Troll 2 was in my top spot. Highly reccommended. Oh and don't go searching for Troll 1, it doesn't exist.

ETA I can't believe I forgot Showgirls, which I know every line of.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 pm
by Mexicola
Escape to Victory but you probably have to be British to 'get' it's genius.

Re: So-bad-its-good cinema

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 pm
by Scyye
Betterthanyourkids wrote:Black Dynamite
Sharktopus

I wouldn't even put Black Dynamite under the "really really bad" category, but yeah, great movie!
And yes to Sharktopus. Also, Sharknado.

I should probably throw in Fatal Deviation as well:
http://youtu.be/IPne3Wh0lqk

Re: So-bad-its-good cinema

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:48 am
by IanRedpoint
Scyye wrote:
Betterthanyourkids wrote:Black Dynamite
Sharktopus

I wouldn't even put Black Dynamite under the "really really bad" category, but yeah, great movie!
And yes to Sharktopus. Also, Sharknado.

On that theme I still have a soft spot for Megashark vs Giant Octopus. Largely for this moving scene.

Re: So-bad-its-good cinema

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:34 pm
by Scyye
IanRedpoint wrote:
Scyye wrote:
Betterthanyourkids wrote:Black Dynamite
Sharktopus

I wouldn't even put Black Dynamite under the "really really bad" category, but yeah, great movie!
And yes to Sharktopus. Also, Sharknado.

On that theme I still have a soft spot for Megashark vs Giant Octopus. Largely for this moving scene.

That was truly brilliant :lol:
The way he turned his head towards the camera scared me a lot more than the actual shark.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:48 pm
by portiss
Megashark vs crocosausrus
Megashark vs giant octopus
Sharknado

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:02 pm
by rainier
It's almost unwatchable without the mst3k commentary, but I feel like Manos: the Hands of Fate belongs on this list. I guess a lot of those movies do, but Manos is a standout.

I actually dated a guy who looked like Torgo for awhile.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:13 pm
by WeHadNormality
The Howling 7 & Repo Jake (OMG! Dan Haggerty's tiny feet!).
Oh my f**k they are terrible, terrible films. I've watched them both tons of times.
The Room is also f**ked. Tommy Wiseau scares me.

Crispin Glover's What Is It? is absolutely bonkers too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcce6ddUr5s

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:00 pm
by Cupz
WeHadNormality wrote:The Howling 7 & Repo Jake (OMG! Dan Haggerty's tiny feet!).
Oh my f**k they are terrible, terrible films. Watched the both tons of times.
The Room is also f**ked. Tommy Wiseau scares me.

Crispin Glover's What Is It is absolutely bonkers too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcce6ddUr5s


Wha, Repo jack looks really relaxing!

Also, that Crispon Glover guy looks like a total bad-ass. I only remember seeing him in back to the future and Where the heart is (wonderful little film), but his It? trilogy sounds like next level shit.


Cool movies in this thread, though I know allot of them. Twoism might like this trailer for 2016 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C5_VbK6VCo , though I can't find a subtitled version of the movie anywhere. Other Ghana films are also really amazing. It was posted in the skype group.

Re: So-bad-its-good cinema

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:34 pm
by pianoforte
IanRedpoint wrote:Megashark vs Giant Octopus. Largely for this moving scene.


:shock:

Can't say I've ever heard of this film, but I'm going to have to watch it now.

Also, while we're on the subject of "vs. movies", I have a ragged old english-dubbed VHS of Godzilla vs. Megalon. It's a truly awful film, but I'm watched it so. many. times. just because of it's sheer awfulocity. I highly recommend it!

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:23 pm
by WeHadNormality
Cupz wrote:
WeHadNormality wrote:The Howling 7 & Repo Jake (OMG! Dan Haggerty's tiny feet!).
Oh my f**k they are terrible, terrible films. Watched the both tons of times.
The Room is also f**ked. Tommy Wiseau scares me.

Crispin Glover's What Is It is absolutely bonkers too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcce6ddUr5s


Wha, Repo jack looks really relaxing!

Also, that Crispon Glover guy looks like a total bad-ass. I only remember seeing him in back to the future and Where the heart is (wonderful little film), but his It? trilogy sounds like next level shit.


Ha, Repo Jake is unintentionally hilarious. Look out for the scene when he's eating his tea in front of the TV (that's all that happens). It cracks me up every time, I don't know why. It also has a really terrible soundtrack.

The Crispin Glover stuff is amazing, but really difficult to watch so, good luck with that. He uses loads of actors with Down's syndrome (not in an exploitative way) in his films which is cool, but adds to the overall surealness. Where the heart Is is ace.
He's a really interesting character, after doing Back To Future he became more of an outsider artist doing cut up public domain books (see Rat Catching) and pre-dated what the alt-lit scene are doing by about 20 years. He's done the commentary on some Werner Herzog DVD's such as Fata Morgana too.
He's also recorded a few albums. This is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6b_lSQst0 :D

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:25 am
by The Telepathic Kid
well with Black Dynamite it actually brings up a point.

are these films actually bad? Or did we as film watchers find something in them which we enjoy to watch. Is it our version of a crash on a motorcar race? It's just beautiful destruction happening before our eyes.

I don't necessarily think these films are bad, it's just that we see them in a different context to what's intended on screen. They're funny, they're silly, they're enjoyable. A lot of the films posted are meant to be dramas or horrors and on those levels, they don't work. But we can extract joy and excitement through a different way as we look at them through a different lens.

Black Dynamite is in that vein in that it's taking off the old 70's blaxploitation films, but it's got a knowing eye and makes knowing, observational mistakes without losing focus of the film at hand.
It's one of those rare pastiches which also works as an homage.

So to this I ask you, are these actually bad? or are we just looking at them in a different way than the film makers intended.

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:08 am
by WeHadNormality
^ I agree with your point about Black Dynamite. I wouldn't include it in my list as it was intended to be a bad/poorly made film. It is great though, and the Adrian Younge soundtrack is brilliant.

The Howling 7 on the other hand has got to be the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. A werewolf film where the only few seconds of werewolf in it are actually a couple of clips/flashbacks from one of the previous Howling films.

Also surprised no one has mentioned Plan 9 From Outer Space or any other Ed Wood films.

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm
by Amo Bishop Roden

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:19 pm
by 2020k
Image

Horrid, but I bought it makes me laugh.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 am
by BairdDeanna
"Ice Cream Man". Pure gold!