How to tell if something is fake or not.

Moderators: Aesthetics, Drones, Hexagon Sun

Post a reply
six-five-two
Sherbet Head
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

How to tell if something is fake or not.

Post by six-five-two »

After the fake new box set thing and leaked Closes Vol. 1 fake thing, I think we should stop making 7-13 pages of stuff, it is obviously fake.

How to tell if something is fake or not:

-No pictures/proof
-New member (20 and under posts or so)
-Too good to be true (old stuff released/going on a tour)
-Posts some stupid poetry like Family_Photo_Album
-Acts "mysterious" by only posting pictures and not replying to anyones comments

Examples of Fakes:

*This fake example is non-fictional
if you're on the warp mailing list, you will find this in your inbox very soon, along with a nice picture. remember, you read it here first...

Boards of Canada - Alpha Taxonomy (WARP169CD)

Release date: December 4, 2006

Warp Records are delighted to announce the highly-anticipated Boards of Canada box set Alpha Taxonomy, a collection of previously unreleased songs and rarities, commonly circulated online as the 'Old Tunes'. Unwillingly leaked to the web years ago, Mike and Marcus have finally given into the incredible demand for the tracks. They've remastered and re-recorded a colossal 87 tracks, spanning four compact discs, as well as overseeing a gorgeous accompanying 32-page booklet. The lovely resulting package goes well beyond the high expectations the duo's fans have come to hold. Alpha Taxonomy will be available for pre-order from Warpmart in the coming weeks.

Boards of Canada will be performing live at a handful of shows in early 2007.


Okay, so first of all the user information:
Username: maersk
Posts: 4
So right now, you could already tell that it is a bit fishy... 20 and under post count.


Now for the name: Alpha Texonomy
It does not seem like a name Boards of Canada would choose.

Stuff it contains:
Old Tunes
This seems way too good to be true.

In one of the 13 or so pages, he also posts a picture of some gathering/someone playing live.
So this means he is also a "mysterious" asshole.

So this concludes that it is most likely fake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example of a non-fake

*Fictional

Hey, my friend works at warp and says Boards of Canada are releasing a new album. Warp should send out a letter about it in a few weeks or so. Here is a picture: [picture here]


Username: Aesthetics
Posts: 1028

Okay, first of all it is by an admin (Aesthetics) with 1028 posts. He showed a picture of the cover and the name sounds right. In a few weeks people start to get emails from warp about the release. This is true.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think we should have learned by now that somethings are way to good to be true.

Here is all the big fake events that I remember:
-Family_Photo_Album
-BoC Set
-Closes Vol. 1
-etc... cant think of any more stuff at the moment.

If someone recieves an email from warp about "Alpha Taxonomy" then this is all proven wrong and maersk is right.
Last edited by six-five-two on Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hello.
User avatar
ryetronics
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: Texas

Post by ryetronics »

I'll add to that...

The Red Moon fiasco
User avatar
mechanismj
Nova Scotia Robot
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by mechanismj »

What the hell is this family photo album thing I keep hearing about?

Also, what was the final result of the red moon thing? I figured it was just something that nobody ever cracked and nobody ever saw. I mean, I know that some twoism folk ended up in Scotland and had a good time, but I hear there was some hoax involved in the event as well. What is all this shiznit?!
six-five-two
Sherbet Head
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by six-five-two »

Red Moon Event = nothing happened..
Family_Photo_Album = some guy that was kinda "mysterious" on the WATMM board.. He was posting some poems and stuff about red moon, most people thought he was BoC or something like that. He later admitted that it was all a hoax
hello.
User avatar
ryetronics
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: Texas

Post by ryetronics »

mechanismj wrote:What the hell is this family photo album thing I keep hearing about?

Also, what was the final result of the red moon thing? I figured it was just something that nobody ever cracked and nobody ever saw. I mean, I know that some twoism folk ended up in Scotland and had a good time, but I hear there was some hoax involved in the event as well. What is all this shiznit?!


Some attention-starved pranksters made up stories of finding the event, hanging out with the BoC guys, finding tapes in a burned out bonfire on a beach. Basically loads of bullshit. I don't remember who they were, but none of there stories were ever corroborated.
User avatar
mechanismj
Nova Scotia Robot
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by mechanismj »

Oh ok. Yeah, I saw a couple of those poems. Wasn't there also some guy who claimed he saw a smouldering bonfire that had been lit the night before on a beach and he found a tape laying there?

I figured maybe something happened but NONE of us ever found out where it was or WHAT it was. Oh well. If nothing happened, that would mean BOC played a prank on us right?

Whoops. Look I posted to late. Hehe.
User avatar
isawdrones
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:53 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Post by isawdrones »

i cant believe so many people pussyfoot around on these forums! its really getting to my head.
Moebius
Sherbet Head
Posts: 871
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by Moebius »

Here (from the wiki) is a general overview of all the events in the whole Red Moon incident (which includes Family Photo Album).
User avatar
ExitEuXa
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 2242
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by ExitEuXa »

isawdrones wrote:i cant believe so many people pussyfoot around on these forums! its really getting to my head.

Well you're here doing the same. :P
Family_Photo_Album
Friendly Stranger
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:33 am
Location: Scotland

Post by Family_Photo_Album »

I heard somebody call my name.
User avatar
1969
Posts Quantity
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:25 pm

Post by 1969 »

^oh my god.

I wouldnt be suprised.
User avatar
The Other
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Things Betwixt

Post by The Other »

1969 wrote:^oh my god.

I wouldnt be suprised.


oh shit!!!!!! :shock:
User avatar
Cupz
High Scorer
Posts: 10670
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Post by Cupz »

whoonooo!! Where are these watmm`ers coming from :roll: :lol: (Just kiddin peeps)
Throw away your smartphone.
fumi
New Seed
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:54 pm

Post by fumi »

Cupz wrote:whoonooo!! Where are these watmm`ers coming from :roll: :lol: (Just kiddin peeps)


It's the curse of the Boxset...it's got everyone worked up/annoyed.

Good forum btw.

:wink:
six-five-two
Sherbet Head
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by six-five-two »

Updated.
hello.
Post a reply