Page 1 of 3

BOC Maxima

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:02 pm
by zander two
I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a topic on this album, so I thought I would start one as yet another distraction for us impatient types. I only recently came across this album, and I think that it's a great listening experience. There are a number of good and rare tracks like "red moss," "rodox video" and especially "whitewater." Plus nearly all of the Hi Scores EP and a chunk of MHTRTC.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:58 pm
by ross adey
yeah whitewater is beautiful :D before the lyrics were transcribed on davidac's pages i thought where it says
"i feel very sad... i turn into the sad me" it said "try to understand... try to understand me" a tad strange, i know but if you listened to that part without ever seeing the actual lyrics, you could be easily mistaken.

aswell as whitewater, i think 'everything you do is a balloon' may be the bast track on the album. not only because of its celestial brilliance, but because of the simple story behind it!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:42 pm
by cmx
what's the simple story behind it?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:18 pm
by Goiter Sanchez
'Whitewater' is one of the best pieces BoC have ever produced!

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:29 pm
by Waz
It is a great album.

Nova Scotia Robots really appeals to me (most people seem to regard it as filler). I live on a busy port, and from my window I can see a yard where a shipping/international haulage company trade as "Nova Scotia" (probably based in the place). I've always found industry a little secret and ominous - like there's something going on behind closed doors that's very weird, almost ethereal. Somehow Nova Scotia Robots describes exactly what I dream goes on in the large warehouse in that yard.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:44 pm
by ross adey
cmx wrote:what's the simple story behind it?


:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Some titles are personal stories, such as 'Everything You Do is a Balloon', which was a realization made long ago in the forest". [EHX Interview]

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:10 pm
by cmx
ah yes that's what i read on fredd-e's website, thanks !

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:40 am
by fauxteur
did everyone get this one from slsk or what?

the track lengths don't match up exactly with the discog infor on fredd-e's site.

the first three tracks of all the results i get are:
1:08 instead of 1:37
4:25 instead of 4:39
0:41 instead of 0:33

close but not exact...

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:49 am
by Goiter Sanchez
For the first three tracks I get these times on my copies:

01 - Wildlife Analysis - 01:08
02 - Chinook - 04:58
03 - Rodox Video - 00:40

Also... I've asked this question a number of times, but no one has answered, so I'm assuming no one knows the answer; I've always wondered who leaked Boc Maxima and/or how was it leaked? Why was it leaked and none of the other old Music70 albums like Acid Memories and Hooper Bay?

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:55 am
by Lone
i always wonder who/why/how that album was leaked too, cant see us ever knowing to be honest! i also think whitewater is a true boc classic, i also love the little 'niagra' track with that really cheesy tv jingle type melody in the background, ive always wondered if thats a sample or did they create that synth melody themselves?

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:31 am
by radiateme
Lone wrote:i always wonder who/why/how that album was leaked too, cant see us ever knowing to be honest! i also think whitewater is a true boc classic, i also love the little 'niagra' track with that really cheesy tv jingle type melody in the background, ive always wondered if thats a sample or did they create that synth melody themselves?


i've always loved niagra so much <3. completely agree about the jingle in the backround... doooo.. doo do do do do do dooo dooo. :wink:

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:45 am
by Derail
I can't believe no one's mentioned "Skimming Stones" yet. It's probably my second favorite short track Boc has done, right after "Over The Horizon"...It's so hauntingly beautiful, Boc at their best! :D

Boc Maxima is a great album and the tracks are mixed nicely together, but 90% of the tracks are from other releases. I would've much rather seen another album leak with tracks that none of us have heard yet. I don't really listen to it all that much except for "Chinook", "Skimming Stones", and "Whitewater". I'm not complaining though. :P

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:53 pm
by hexagon son
red moss! probably my fave off of that album. red moss is a quite rare species of moss that is very old. can be found in some parts of the arctic in canada.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:03 pm
by hGc
Skimming Stones and M9 have something hypnotising, un-BOCish... and Whitewater is one of their most enjoyable tracks

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:57 pm
by deadfly
hexagon son wrote:red moss! probably my fave off of that album. red moss is a quite rare species of moss that is very old. can be found in some parts of the arctic in canada.


It's also a nature reserve near Edinburgh.

Oh, and it's one of my favourites as well.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:12 pm
by Frank
Sixtyniner is sooo great. Most of the songs on BOC Maxima are tho.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:35 pm
by fauxteur
ok, thanks Goiter

i'll just re-download the version that i found. when i first started to downloaded it a long time ago, i thought it was just another fake. i'm still not sure why the running times listed on the discog are different? oh well.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 pm
by A-Ball
I like the rodox video with the birds sounds in it better. (that's the one on a few old tunes i think)
And chinook has this nice older quality to it than the one on the aquarius ep

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:25 am
by AnalogFix
Will somebody please post Maxima (what they have). Im afraid Im missing a few songs (red moss, etc.) and, quite frankly, I feel left out.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:51 am
by DocteurOrlof
AnalogFix wrote:Will somebody please post Maxima (what they have).


What I have:
[01] 1) Wildlife analysis 2) Chinook 3)Rodox video = 8:23
[02] 4) Everything you do is a balloon = 5:26
[03] 5) BOC maxima 6) Roygbiv = 4:00
[04] 7) Nova scotia robots 8 ) June 9th 9) Niagara 10) Skimming stones = 9:38
[05] 11) Sixtyniner = 5:17
[06] 12) Red moss = 6:16
[07] 13) Concourse = 1:42
[08] 14) Carcan 15) Nlogax = 6:59
[09] 16) M9 = 3:43
[10] 17) Original nlogax 18 ) Turquoise hexagon sun = 6:22
[11] 19) Whitewater 20) One very important thought = 7:23