Page 1 of 1

Open the light

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:38 pm
by Ectonaut
While spending two weeks in Quebec, I have been told several times to 'open the light', which apparently is poorly translated french for 'turn on the light'. Probably nothing new but it was a slight revelation to me : ).

Re: Open the light

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:48 pm
by Wildfire
Ha, that's cool.

Re: Open the light

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:22 pm
by Omikron
I have heard 'open the light' and 'close the light' instead of on and off and it always puts the song in my mind.

Re: Open the light

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:57 am
by Oscillon
Open the light always meant open the third eye to me. The way the song circularly pans around your head when you listen to it on headphones lends more credence to that theory. It feels like the tune is dancing around your third eye almost like a tribal dance.

Re: Open the light

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 pm
by 747Music
My goodness, I've been to Quebec for a million beer runs, hockey games and to visit friends and I never heard anyone say that... I feel ridiculously left out.

Re: Open the light

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:35 pm
by Valotonin
Was literally just thinking about this today. It took a while for me to clock it but as my father is from Montreal he occasionally says 'Close the light/Open the light' but he was from a family with English as their first language so maybe the phrases of the French speaking community there rubbed off on him.

Re: Open the light

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:38 pm
by Valotonin
I think its use as a song title is to do with the fact that when a lot of people say 'open the light' to mean 'switch the lightbulb on' it can be literally interpreted as something pretty transcendent and surreal sounding.

Re: Open the light

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:51 am
by TheStatPow
In true french the right way of saying it is "Allume la lumiere" aka turn on the light, but french canadian is very broken french so we all say open the light, never actually realised it until today :mrgreen:

Re: Open the light

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:54 am
by TheStatPow
747Music wrote:My goodness, I've been to Quebec for a million beer runs, hockey games and to visit friends and I never heard anyone say that... I feel ridiculously left out.


Come by my place next time, I'll say it to you :lol:

Re: Open the light

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:01 pm
by 747Music
TheStatPow wrote:
747Music wrote:My goodness, I've been to Quebec for a million beer runs, hockey games and to visit friends and I never heard anyone say that... I feel ridiculously left out.


Come by my place next time, I'll say it to you :lol:


Haha! Deal.

Re: Open the light

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:05 am
by Nottoolate
Valotonin wrote:it can be literally interpreted as something pretty transcendent and surreal sounding

I agree, I feel like the same kind of literal interpretation is present in "Ready lets go". That lack of apostrophe opens up a whole new perspective.

Re: Open the light

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 am
by portiss
Open the light and accept the lord. Jesus will forgive us for our sins.