Page 1 of 1
Cool Packaging
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:29 pm
by Tony Montana
In this digital age its easy to forget just how cool CD/vinyl/whatever packaging is.
From gatefold vinyl to sculpted CD cases. I love them all.
I remember when I ordered the Geogaddi book CD when it came out and it arrived with those postcards and stickers. How I loved it all. The feel of the book, the images. And the poster that came with Campfire. That was great.
And I especially like the smell of paper. You know that matt finish, tracing paper like smell.
Long live music packaging.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:12 pm
by YELLOW
te band im in right now is in the packaging phase as we finished recording last week and it is proving to be difficult on diy level
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:08 am
by Chime Traveler
Agreed! The whole look and feel of a CD or LP release from an artist/band/group is very much a hugh part of the whole experience of enjoying music! I'm well into my adulthood, (around the age of the Sandison brothers) and to this day, I still get extremely excited on different levels when a band that I appreciate is about to release a new CD/LP. I still look forward to buying new releases and having the experience of viewing the artwork & hearing the music in a completely fresh and new light. This will always be a very important aspect of collecting music to me. Boards Of Canada are to me the quintessential artists as they are bang-on, (or spot-on, depending where you're from) musically and visually as far as I'm concerned.
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:29 am
by Derail
I really love digipack cds for some reason. It's just something different that your typical old jewelcase. Milieu's Our Blue Rainbow packaging is really cool and origional.
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:40 am
by mechanismj
Who do you think the coolest packaging award should go to? I'm thinking either Tool's 10,000 Days or Beck's the Information.
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:54 am
by zander two
My most recent favorite: Freescha's 'What's Come Inside of You.' If you haven't seen it, let's just say the packaging fits the music.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:13 pm
by Beacon
Who do you think the coolest packaging award should go to? I'm thinking either Tool's 10,000 Days or Beck's the Information.
Oh man, I love the information, there are so many cool stickers, I have a bunch of them on my macbook.
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:54 pm
by Derail
The Campfire Headphase packaging is really beautiful, so that would get my nomination.
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:11 am
by A_Northern_Soul
I'd go for Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space" - packaged like a prescription pill:
Or the limited edition version - 12 CDs (one for each track) = 12 pills:
It was heartbreaking to pop that foil when I bought that album!
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:33 pm
by mechanismj
Indeed, A_Northern_Soul! I forgot about that one. It's definately the winner!
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:00 pm
by Infinite E
holy shit! yeah that's the coolest album packaging I've ever seen! Pretty bad that it's impossible to keep it pristine though...
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:11 am
by A_Northern_Soul
Infinite E wrote:holy shit! yeah that's the coolest album packaging I've ever seen! Pretty bad that it's impossible to keep it pristine though...
I know. The liner notes are written like a drug's leaflet as well.
Beautiful album too.
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:06 pm
by polar sky
there is nothing worse than a dvd that comes in a plain dvd case with no inner sleeve and a blank disc thats says side a full screen side b wide screen.
Boo.
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:09 pm
by YELLOW
yeah or for dvds polar, when it has special features but its like INTERACTIVE MENUS and im like sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:44 pm
by The Other
polar sky wrote:there is nothing worse than a dvd that comes in a plain dvd case with no inner sleeve and a blank disc thats says side a full screen side b wide screen.
Boo.
haha so true..
