Page 1 of 1
A Metal Thread
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:03 pm
by thedisavowed
I know nothing about metal. But I was watching Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny last night and it has me curious.
Any fans here? Any recommendations?
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:05 pm
by Vordhosbn
TOOL. No actually Tool is hardly metal. I hate heavy metal anyways. But tool rules. Their early albums are really really hard.
As for the kind of metal in Tenacious D, (great movie) I dunno...
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:16 pm
by silo flame
what kind of metal you looking for? if you want true metal (not death metal, grind, etc) check out iron maiden, helloween, manowar, testament, overkill....i used to be really into metal, will always appreciate it.
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:34 pm
by thedisavowed
silo flame wrote:what kind of metal you looking for? if you want true metal (not death metal, grind, etc) check out iron maiden, helloween, manowar, testament, overkill....i used to be really into metal, will always appreciate it.
Give me some albums you recommend. I'm totally ignorant about this stuff.
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:12 pm
by Infinite E
silo flame wrote: true metal (not death metal, grind, etc)
Metal subgenres crack me up. That guy played his guitar slightly slower and grunted a bit more! OMG new genre!
I can't get into the 'extreme' metal what the kids listen to nowadays, I have tried... however I do love a bit of sabbath, also the slow funky stuff like Kyuss
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:21 pm
by wwbjd
Black Sabbath - "We Sold Our Souls For Rock N' Roll"
Check out the tracks "Black Sabbath" & "War Pigs". The above is a compilation album I believe.
Or, check out the albums, "Black Sabbath" and "Master of Reality".
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:29 pm
by jonnyjj74
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Declared by many magazines as being the the best metal album of the decade...I don't disagree at all. It is a great intro into real metal, the way that Aphex Twin is a good intro into IDM.
If you like that style I can give you a dozen more great bands with varying styles to choose from.
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 pm
by kyriakos
i like Sunn O)))
dooooooom droonnne metal mmmm
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:33 pm
by jonnyjj74
silo flame wrote:what kind of metal you looking for? if you want true metal (not death metal, grind, etc) check out iron maiden, helloween, manowar, testament, overkill....i used to be really into metal, will always appreciate it.
All those bands are really cheesy.

Manowar album covers crack me up

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:41 pm
by Frank
Meshuggah is a great band, if you'd like some "non-average" metal.
Oh and Tool, although that is a subgenre on itsellf, is great as well.
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:29 pm
by Guido
I love metal! Check
my last.fm for what I listen.
I can also absolutely recommend Meshuggah. They're my favourite metal band. They might be "difficult" for a first time listener though.
And how anti-BoC it may be, owning people in the mosh pit is one of the best feelings there is

.
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:51 am
by esselfortium
I don't listen to a lot of metal bands, but In Flames and Opeth are pretty awesome.
I'd recommend the albums Colony, Whoracle, and The Jester Race from In Flames.
From Opeth, well..to be honest, I mostly just listen to Damnation, which is an unbelievably good album, but it's not metal at all. It kicks 73 different types of ass though

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:53 am
by Chime Traveler
Heavy metal includes a great big world of music, but in my opinion these are all worth checking out
for starters:
Solid Classics:
Black Sabbath – Volume 4
Iron Maiden – Number Of The Beast
Metallica – Master Of Puppets
Megadeth – So Far, So Good, So What
Slayer – Reign In Blood
Debatable Classics:
Testament – The New Order
Sepultura – Beneath The Remains
Sepultura - Roots
Kreator - Extreme Aggression
Vio-lence – Eternal Nightmare
Forbidden – Forbidden Evil
Machine Head – Burn My Eyes
Kyuss – Blues For the Red Sun
To get a really good introduction and education on the history and many branches of heavy metal, check out the DVD documentary: “METAL: A Headbanger’s Journey”. It’s fantastic. Check out
http://www.metalhistory.com/ There’s a section on the website itself that details the metal masterpieces from different eras of the genre, (under the Metal 101 link)…
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:40 am
by zander two
I was just about to mention 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.' Highly recommended, very intellectual for a rockumentary.

It really does a good job of explaining how metal is about more than just the music.
As for the genre itself, I've always been a borderline metal freak. But inevitably I'd run out of anger/energy and have to chill out, so now I use metal for medicinal purposes mainly.
Some personal favorites:
Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power/Far Beyond Driven
Kyuss: Welcome to Sky Valley
Sunn O))): Black One
Sunn O))) & Boris: Altar
Down: Nola
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:49 am
by nlogax
jesu