Page 1 of 1

Tip for 2008 - Jack Marchment - "Corydon and Manjrekar&

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:45 am
by moukoko2008
Out on Benbecula Records (home of Christ.) on 19 May. First track Sebastien nearly blew my head off. It is a LONG TIME since I've been this engaged by a straight-up electronica record.

Fourtet, BOC, Synthetised library music, Dubstep, elements of italo-disco - All somewhere in the mixer.

Thoroughly recommended.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:16 pm
by Aesthetics
Thanks for the heads-up moukoko2008.

I hope you realize this gets across as spam?

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:09 pm
by moukoko2008
oh - i don't really know what that means...

my boc creds should be beyond doubt given that i'm an avid christ. and benbecula records fan. In any case, I have tended to lurk rather than speak (with particular geeky interest around the red moon code debacle!).

Seriously, this guy is worth a buy. The first record he did was a trifle self-indulgent (read: SAWII homage), but this one is more like Chris Clark in touch with his feminine side. He does share Clark's penchant for fairly agricultural master-limiting though.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:26 pm
by Mexicola
When I saw "Posts:1" I thought this was spam too at first, but the tracks on his MySpace site are actually very good. Michaelmas and Recording9 were especially nice. Thanks for the info moukoko2008 :D

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:49 am
by moukoko2008
Yes, the stuff on the myspace is nice - but check out 'sebastien' on the Benbecula site.
Has an element of The Tuss about it in terms of cheekiness etc., but with a certain warmth and softness about it too.

I've pre-ordered mine!

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:18 am
by moukoko2008
(excuse the horrible self-congratulation here...but..)

PopMatters review:

"On his more downtempo numbers, unknowing listeners may be fooled into thinking it’s a lost disk of early Boards of Canada rarities. Throw “Beatrice” or “Dolce Stil Novo” on a mixtape next to anything from Music Has a Right to Children and see for yourself"....

BRILLIANT!

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:46 pm
by BrandNewRetro
I like the sound of the Sebastien track, I completely agree with The Tuss comparisons which is never a bad thing, will look at getting the album!