Page 1 of 1
My New Project: Wood Sprite Sakuya
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:44 pm
by BrandNewRetro
So I've been working on some new music under the alias Wood Sprite Sakuya. I've finished just the one track so far (although I would like to do more work on it) but I thought I'd share it, as I've no idea what to think of it. Far from my previous styles, I guess this sound is a small nod to the likes of Nosaj Thing, Harmonic 313 etc. with the sidechained melodies...a little more ambient though I'd say. Haven't uploaded anything to MySpace for ages, shocked at how poorly it still compresses stuff, but anyway, here it is:
http://www.myspace.com/woodspritesakuya
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:51 pm
by Noumenon
I like it
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:47 pm
by BrandNewRetro
Noumenon wrote:I like it
Thanks! Currently got some vocals on the go for this, along with some other tweakage.
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:11 am
by jonnyjj74
I liked it more before the beat kicked in. It's not that it's any fault of your own, I just generally don't prefer this kind of pumping side-chain compression onto an entire track. I find it to be distracting.
Other than that, i dig it.
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:46 am
by Emmer
I really like the first ambient part of it but the claps, snares, hats sound a bit too wet to me.
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 am
by BrandNewRetro
Thanks for the tips guys, sounding better with less side-chaining and a change of percussion instruments, and a few other tweaks here and there. Should have a new version finished soon.
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:22 am
by tontonz
Sounding good dude! Keep it up.
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 am
by thepenguin114
The ambience in the beginning was awesome. Really nice soundscape. The subtle kicks coming in was nice, too. I think it would sound better with less sidechaining, and a lower volume on the claps. The 8bit-sounding synth that warbled in occasionally was cool.
Looking forward to hearing more from you. This is pretty cool.
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:37 am
by Guido
I like it! Sounds like a great soundtrack to explore forests in south america with google earth or something. The drum track could be improved, the sidechaining and the out-of-the-box-sounding samples are a bit abrasive or something. In my own ("melodic ambient") music I often keep the percussion to a minimum because it often directly affects the lush-factor of the soundscape in a negative way, if you know what I mean. Some subtle crafting on the percussion in your track could work perfectly though.