Page 1 of 2

One Very Important Thought

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:20 pm
by wb
Hello folks. I don't know if anyone has brought this up before but the original "One Very Important Thought" on BOC Maxima appears to be from a 70's adult film called BRIEF AFFAIR, starring Annette Haven and Lisa DeLeeuw. The film closes with the this exact announcement, voiced by miss DeLeeuw over a black screen with white text. There's also an announcement at the beginning of the film and it goes like this:

"Hi.

My name is Lisa DeLeeuw. Many of you know me as the star of adult motion pictures, but today I would like to speak to you in another and even more important role. In just a few moments you will be viewing an adult motion picture. It is your constitutional right to do so, as it is our constitutional right to show it to you. These rights are guaranteed by the First Amendment to the Constitution! These rights are yours, and mine, and they are not subject to the whim of a local law enforcement officer or the prejudice of a citizens group that would set itself up as an authority as to what you should or should not see. Remember, no one is inflicting this motion picture on you and no one brought you in here under threat of violence. You have made a free choice as a consenting adult.

We urge you to help to preserve this right!

Thank you, and enjoy the show."


Of course, the melody has been added by BOC, but the original message does have some electronic drones on the background which I believe you can hear on the BOC track if you listen closely.

I have not yet viewed the entire film but it's possible that some of BOC's other "porn" samples might be from this film also!

BRIEF AFFAIR is available on all-region DVD

8)

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:29 pm
by niknak
I don't see a huge similarity between the two. Does the voice sound similar? My guess would be that BOC heard a similar announcement before or after a film (not necessarily porn!) and decided to recreate their own.

On a related note is it the same woman who does the counting on Aquarius?

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:41 pm
by wb
No, that quote I posted precedes the film but after the end credits there's another message which is identical to the "One Very Important Thought" on BOC MAXIMA. The voice sounds bit distorted (static and such, the mp3 is not too good quality either) on the BOC track but I assume it's a direct sample.

"Now that the show is over, and we have jointly exercised our constitutional rights, we would like to leave you with one very important thought: Some time in the future, you may have the opportunity to serve as a juror in a so-called obscenity case. It would be wise to remember that the same people who would stop you from viewing an adult film may be back next year to complain about a book, or even a TV programme. If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think. Defend your constitutionally-protected rights. No one else will do it for you. Thank you."

As we all know, the "One Very Important Thought" on MHTRTC is different from this one and the voice on that track refers to BOC music instead of adult films.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:47 pm
by niknak
In that case i'd be very interested to hear the original. I still think they probably recreated it because of the 'listening to boards of canada' section which as far as i can tell is the same voice and is seamless, but we would be able to tell from the original. Do you have it?

Not that i'm trying to find out the extent of you porn collection or anything, but how did you come across it? Feel free to ignore that question if you want!

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:02 pm
by wb
niknak wrote:Not that i'm trying to find out the extent of you porn collection or anything, but how did you come across it? Feel free to ignore that question if you want!


:lol:

I'm actually very fond of 70's adult cinema as well as cult/b-movies etc. Having purchased this dvd I checked the quality of the presentation since dvd-transfers of vintage smut usually look really poor. The opening message sounded strangely familiar so I instinctively moved to the end of the film and voila, there it was.

So I have it on dvd but unfortunately don't have the equipment to import a sound clip to my computer..

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:03 pm
by thedisavowed
WB is right. I don't watch porn so I don't know about the specific film but I do know that the BOC Maxima version confirms what WB is saying.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:32 pm
by niknak
thedisavowed wrote:WB is right. I don't watch porn so I don't know about the specific film but I do know that the BOC Maxima version confirms what WB is saying.


I don't understand. :? Are you saying it is a direct sample?
The version on my copy of maxima is identical to the MHTRTC one as far as i can tell. Are they different? And if it's a direct sample how did they do the "boards of canada" bit with the exact same voice? I'm confused...

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:42 pm
by chzi
niknak wrote:I don't understand. :? Are you saying it is a direct sample?
The version on my copy of maxima is identical to the MHTRTC one as far as i can tell. Are they different?


On the old, low quality, rip of Maxima it was "viewing an adult film". But on the better rip that occured not that long ago it's identical to the version on MHTRTC...

niknak wrote:And if it's a direct sample how did they do the "boards of canada" bit with the exact same voice? I'm confused...


A little mystery, yes. :D

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:43 pm
by niknak
Aaah. Thanks.
Great discovery wb!

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:56 pm
by nny
it doesnt sound like the exact same voice to me.
that would explain the "music from boards of canada" bit.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:46 pm
by steve-o
RODOX VIDEO anyone? I think BOC ARE fans of 70's porn. I know I sure am. Annette Haven RULED. They sure don't make porn like they used to. The version I have from BOC Maxima is definetly not the same as on MHTRTC.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:52 pm
by boardsofdublin
maybe they have a friend who sounds like that woman or they have a voice thing on a computer that you can input a sound and it will repeat words you put in in that voice.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:08 pm
by Goiter Sanchez
The voice counting in Aquarius and the voice in the MHTRTC version of 'One Very Important Thought' sound SO artifical, like a computer voice or something.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:47 pm
by boardsofdublin
Goiter Sanchez wrote:The voice counting in Aquarius and the voice in the MHTRTC version of 'One Very Important Thought' sound SO artifical, like a computer voice or something.

oh my god... maybe i am, right. :o

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:59 pm
by nny
Goiter Sanchez wrote:The voice counting in Aquarius and the voice in the MHTRTC version of 'One Very Important Thought' sound SO artifical, like a computer voice or something.


the voice in Aquarius is spoken by a computer but not the voice on One Very Important Thought because of the variation of tones during the speech.
although, the speech tones are very similar to the ones on the Maxima version of the track.

another example of computer synthesized voice is the track Xentrix by Hell Interface (BOC alias).

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:56 pm
by Guest
thedisavowed wrote:WB is right. I don't watch porn so I don't know about the specific film but I do know that the BOC Maxima version confirms what WB is saying.


You don't watch porn? But yr a pimp? :lol:

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:03 am
by Goiter Sanchez
You're the pimp king Daver! :wink:

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:46 am
by OwlStretchTime
steve-o wrote:RODOX VIDEO anyone? I think BOC ARE fans of 70's porn. I know I sure am. Annette Haven RULED. They sure don't make porn like they used to. The version I have from BOC Maxima is definetly not the same as on MHTRTC.


P.C. (Track 3 from A Few Old Tunes Side A) is a chopped and looped porn sample.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:32 am
by fauxteur
wb wrote:So I have it on dvd but unfortunately don't have the equipment to import a sound clip to my computer..


all you need is a dvd drive on your computer and the right audio program. i can help you if you need it. i'd like to hear this, it sounds interesting.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:32 am
by wb
btw, I mistakenly noted the film is from 70's when it was actually made in 1982. Sorry bout that! :)

Here it is in the IMDb: http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0123570/

and in the Internet Adult Film Database: http://www.iafd.com/title.asp?title=Bri ... &year=1982

i'll try to make a sound clip at my friends computer but this may take a while..