Page 1 of 4
Thoughts on iamamiwhoami [interesting find]
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:59 pm
by Jonny_P
For those who don't know, this is the channel:
http://www.youtube.com/iamamiwhoami
So a while ago some weird, strange and beautiful music videos started popping up on youtube. Some think Bjork, Aphex Twin, or Nine Inch Nails are behind this [I personally think it's a whole new thing]. The music is really breathtaking and the creepy yet wonderful visuals [that scream Chris Cunningham] in the music videos put Lady Gaga to shame [lol]. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?
My personal favorites include:
b
n
t
23.5.12.3.15.13.5-8.15.13.5.3383
Prelude 699130082.451322-5.4.21.3.1.20.9.15.14.1.12
Here's one of their vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rpD_eclfTY
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 am
by Pantheon
strange stuff.
'y' is realy good, nice synth work.
I think this is someone totally new though.
[edit]something about the lead female is really irritating me :S[/edit]
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 am
by Jonny_P
Some people have gone far enough to claim Christina Agulara [however it's spelt] is behind it XD
I believe it's the female and the young male that's behind it; they had a concert at some point online which showed the two throughout.
Here's part one of the concert someone uploaded online; it mainly kicks in at part 2 though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLQ3XMd2_10
Taken from description:
"Chapter 1 features the song 'u1'. At 12am on the 16/11/2010 the mesmerising enigma iamamiwhoami published a video on the website:
http://www.towhomitmayconcern.cc/
It was up for approximately 3 hours before disappearing; this is the live show that was published. Long cuts and stunning visuals which connect previous visual hints alongside fantastic reinterpretations of the songs already posted makes this a very interesting and incredible piece of artwork.
This is dedicated to all iamamiwhoami fans that missed the spectacle."
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:10 am
by Elephant Face
I followed this from the start, yet sadly missed the broadcast of the "concert".
The singer is Jonna Lee, and the producer is unknown still. Amazing pieces, especially the first videos, the preludes.
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:40 am
by dp
some of the videos remind me a lot of The Knife/Fever Ray.
I heard some people say it was/is the chick from Evanescence, but I believe it's a whole new thing. pretty cool nevertheless.
EDIT: who is Jonna Lee?
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:04 am
by Elephant Face
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 am
by dp
Elephant Face wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jonna+Lee
wow. aren't you helpful? sorry mate, I was away from the computer and didn't have time to Google it.
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:34 am
by 747Music
This stuff is actually good. Very odd, but in a good way.
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46 pm
by Elephant Face
dp wrote:Elephant Face wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jonna+Lee
wow. aren't you helpful? sorry mate, I was away from the computer and didn't have time to Google it.
I love doing that. Not being a dick, promise. I just couldn't help it.
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:44 pm
by Seeya_Later
I've followed this band since the beginning, but I didn't really love them until O. O and N are my favorites musically, but I love them all visually. This might be one of my favorite music groups. But I wonder if they're done now, forever.
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 pm
by 747Music
This stuff is really great. I can't stop listening to it. "t" is brilliant.
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 pm
by Magic Brenda
I was following it from the start when everyone thought it was either Christina Aguilera or Goldfrapp, or Lykke Li, one regular even postulated it could be BoC and she wouldn't hear of it when I tried to tell her it wouldn't be them in a million years, but she suggested pretty much anyone who'd walked past a synth in the past 10 years at one point or another.
. I have to say I did think it was Goldfrapp for a while till snippets of that god awful album were put out. If anybody wants the concert footage I've got in HD, the live version of "O" was fucking epic.
On the one hand I'm inclined to say it's done with, if "doing it without the music industry" was the point, I thin they/ she made it very well. On the other hand, seeing as they won a Swedish Grammy, it wouldn't surprise me if they're in talks to sign a deal cos it's obv been picked up at a high level, but then that would kinda defeat the object of the exercise... I think.
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm
by Basepair
not for me i'm afraid- don't care who it is.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:22 pm
by 2020k
The concert can be found on torrent websites and if you can't find it there, shoot me a PM and we'll work something out. It's VERY good.
I followed this since the beginning in hopes that it was Christina Aguilera throwing a huge monkey wrench into the pop scene, but it turned out to be something greater and more thrilling. Based on the couple of songs and videos they've released so far, they've inspired me FAR MORE than a lot of veteran musicians have.
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:24 pm
by bleak.
promising...its how pop music should be sounding in this day in age (in my mind).
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:32 pm
by Seeya_Later
I actually hated the project when I thought it was Christina Agulera. When I discovered it wasn't I fell head over heels for it.
I just can't get enough of these videos. I had hoped they'd be less cryptic after the concert but nope. They don't even have an official website!
It's impossible to find out any more info about them except wild speculation from fans. How's that for business strategy?
And the concert was top notch. I think that the version of O from the concert was the best thing about the concert.
For those who haven't seen it, it's basically a concert with ONE audience memeber. It takes place in the woods, and it's not on a stage. It's like they planned this long walk through the woods with performances at each point. Costumes, ligthing, they've decorated trees etc. Eventually ending with them putting the ONE audience member in a coffin and ultimately incinerating him. The concert ends as the sun rises. It should set a standard for concert films but it probably won't because not a whole lot of people saw it. Either way, it definitely inspired me.
My question is: Who's footing the bill for this project? It's certainly not an amateur job.
I can't wait to see more.
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:18 pm
by 2020k
They do too have an official website!
www.towhomitmayconcern.cc

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:18 pm
by Seeya_Later
Oh, I thought they took it down!
Hah. They might as well have.
Music70's got a black square.
iamamiwhoami has a black everything.
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:24 am
by bleak.
oh. well that was easier than anticipated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamamiwhoami
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:09 am
by Seeya_Later
What was? Finding that page?