Page 1 of 1
Thievery Corporation
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 pm
by Will
Just wanted to share my love of this band. I only discovered them within the last year or so and I can't believe I've just never come across them before, they are truely wonderful. 'Sweet Tides' is just the most beautiful song in the world as far as I'm concerned.
Anyone else as obsessed with them as I am?
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:05 pm
by kyriakos
The Mirror Conspiracy is one of my fav albums ever.
Just a perfect chillout/lounge album.
The Richest Man In Babylon and The Cosmic Game are also solid albums.
Not too keen on their recent stuff though.
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:05 pm
by saturdayindex
I have Abductions and Reconstructions, and prefer that album to The Cosmic Game. Haven't heard their other stuff yet, but I like the general vibe that they produce. Good stuff for playing while driving.
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:30 pm
by pointlessdude
Just listened to Sweet Tides and holy shit.
I'm now downloading The Mirror Conspirancy, thanks for making me discover this band.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:02 pm
by Totopatter
great duo from Washington DC
i really like their older stuff, around 1999-2000 (?)
the chill dub reggae sound
not too much into the balkan, oriental sound that came out later
and some of the vocal track, meh.. :s
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:01 pm
by Aesthetics
Like many artists I got introdiced to Thievery Corporation via the MTV Chillout zone. Back in 1997 I bought Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi when I got stuck on the trainstation Utrecht Centraal on the way back from holiday. I only knew the track 38:45 but was surprized how the album sounded. I still see the trainride in front of me when I hear certain songs.
A lot which they produced after it didn't had the atmosphere I hoped for. Only a few songs on The Mirror Conspiracy have this vibe. A few favs for those who want to discover TC:
Sounds from the Thievery Hi-fi:
The Oscillator /
Incident at Gate 7 /
Universal Highness
The Mirror Conspiracy:
Le Monde /
Lebanese Blond /
Shadows of Ourselves /
Tomorrow
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:32 am
by Will
kyriakos wrote:The Mirror Conspiracy is one of my fav albums ever.
Just a perfect chillout/lounge album.
The Richest Man In Babylon and The Cosmic Game are also solid albums.
Not too keen on their recent stuff though.
Have you listened to Culture of Fear? Just been released I think, what I've heard so far has ben largely wonderful.
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:54 am
by Will
pointlessdude wrote:Just listened to Sweet Tides and holy shit.
I'm now downloading The Mirror Conspirancy, thanks for making me discover this band.

It's a true pleasure to have introduced you to that song, glad you love it so much.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:37 am
by machinea
I really loved them when I first discovered them but their output didn't stay what I had hoped it would be and so I stopped paying attention around 2004. But I really credit them with changing my ear. Because of them and a few others (Fila Brazilia, Baby Fox, Buscemi) I began to like more jazz and bossanova.
If you like TC you might want to check out some of the others I mentioned as they are rather in the same vein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwA6fws ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-tg3LlF ... 6&index=20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJp7bW3O8Lc
All of it is just very sexy.
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:34 am
by dp
I liked The Richest Man In Babylon for about two weeks. That was 4 or 5 years ago. I burned out on it pretty fast. I never listen to them anymore. I did get a co-worker friend of mine who is a big "jam band" guy into them though. He's seen them live a few times and really likes them.
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:15 am
by portiss
dp wrote:I liked The Richest Man In Babylon for about two weeks. That was 4 or 5 years ago. I burned out on it pretty fast. I never listen to them anymore. I did get a co-worker friend of mine who is a big "jam band" guy into them though. He's seen them live a few times and really likes them.
Thievery Corporation live is a guarantee for a good gig.