saurus wrote:polar sky wrote:saurus wrote:I don't know much about the world ending but I sure reckon a BOC album about the Apocalypse would be a most depressing listen!
Why? It might be really beautiful.
Well there'd be different angles I imagine, like intensity to signify panic and fear and sad songs to signify melancholia
It's just when BOC to melancholy, they do it very very effectively (Tears From The Compound Eye)
I like this idea of different angles, as I think there could be a lot more to an album based on so-called 'nuclear/new clear' influences (Big disclaimer here. As it has already been pointed out, second-guessing BoC is like playing the National Lottery. It's testament to the strength of their music that so few words from the artists themselves, and sporadic releases, can produce the conjecture found in this thread and across the forum. What follows is complete conjecture)
Ok, being born in the early 70s, and for one reason or another, BoC have always reminded me of my days growing up. When I first heard MHTRTC, I posted on the old Mo'Wax forum that the album reminded me of the old Open University ident tune that used to appear late at night here in the UK on the BBC. When someone pointed out the National Film Boards of Canada connection to me, I was taken aback by this link to nostalgia, and how their music seemed to tap into it. You can find this ident on YouTube, and maybe you can see why.
A massive influence on my life during the 70s and 80s though was the the Cold War, and this had a big cultural impact on the UK. There was a series of government information films produced called 'Protect and Survive' (also on YouTube), made to accompany a booklet which the government would distribute in times of impending war, and these broadcasts were well-known for their eerie calm/futility (I'm sure a forum member here used to have an avatar based on one of the episodes - can't remember who). At the end of each mini-episode there was an ident tune, in itself harmless enough, but which really seemed to drive home the fear there was in the early 80s of conflict. My point is that BoC remind me of these public information films & the ident tune, and I'd love to hear their musical take on the that whole era. It wouldn't necessarily have to be an album about apocalypse, after all the 80s saw an end to the standard nuclear face-off which was a huge relief, but BoC do seem to tap into the sense of fear quite well.
Rant over. Pure conjecture. I'd be first in the queue for this album though
Cheers!