Christ. "Distance Lends Enchantment to the View"

Moderator: Aesthetics

User avatar
Snufkin
Sherbet Head
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:55 pm

Post by Snufkin »

I've *ahem* never actually checked out any Christ. before... but simply based on this thread I just ordered the vinyl (also saw a review on some webby the other day, was only 3 star but boc-ness got me intruiged: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/article/3515 ... rnor-vinge )

-Snuf
User avatar
88marquis
Sherbet Head
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:51 pm

Post by 88marquis »

Yeah vernor vinge is absolutaly amazing, in fact the entire Blue Shift Emissions album is fantastic. To me its not BoCish at all, he's developed something personal and meaningful on his own. Boards of Canada evokes something incredible no doubt, but Chris brings something completely different into view and is just as inspiring to me.
User avatar
mechanismj
Nova Scotia Robot
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by mechanismj »

Not diggin' the newer stuff. Pylonesque and Metamorphic... are really the only ones I listen to. Vernor Vinge sometimes, too.
User avatar
Retrodreaming
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Norfolk

Post by Retrodreaming »

mechanismj wrote:Not diggin' the newer stuff. Pylonesque and Metamorphic... are really the only ones I listen to. Vernor Vinge sometimes, too.
Hmmmm have to agree with you on that,it's no Pylonesque or Metamorphic,but maybe it will grow on me like blue shift...............
<center>de ['] ja [,] vu
nʌ ['] ɐɾ [,] ǝp
Image
User avatar
Skytree
Sherbet Head
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Skytree »

Finally received this in the mail the other day. Only had the opportunity to listen to it once through, so I'll reserve judgement until later. I can say that I was a bit disappointed by the quality of the LP sleeves, though. Seems to be made of some very thin, low-grade cardboard...I hopelessly creased one of the corners just getting it out of the shrink wrap. Benbecula was having financial troubles though, so it's understandable. The prints and blood-red vinyl more than compensate.

Anyway, more later!
boardsofdublin
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by boardsofdublin »

OMG i got this during the week and cant stop listnein!!!
Love where he's going with this album, not to raise issues but it does have a boc feel to it big time.
Sounds very Twoism indeed!
But really love 'Animus' loads!
Really better than "Metamorphic Reproduction Miracle", just cant get into that album at all.
Image
Image
tiges
Posts Quantity
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Post by tiges »

On first listen sounds good, hopefully will grow on me as much as Blue Shift Emissions which I just love. There is a Christ session from the Vic Galloway show available online here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/vicgalloway/index.shtml

Three tracks from new album plus Ganky and interview with Chris and Dave.
User avatar
Snufkin
Sherbet Head
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:55 pm

Post by Snufkin »

Just arrived, three tracks in and i'm annoyed at myself for not having checked this out sooner... v.nice :)

-Snuf
User avatar
Skytree
Sherbet Head
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Skytree »

Definitely loving this so far. Very streamlined and simplified. Overall the album strikes me as very straight-forward and honest...kind of a counter-point to a lot of the electronic music out there at the moment. He's obviously been listening to a lot of stuff outside the usual genre. I hear a bit of Stevie Wonder influence in "Toynbee", actually (and throughout the rest of the album in spots).

The mastering on the CD also has a much different curve from the LP, but that's to be expected. Both versions sound great, though I don't recommend listening to an mp3 rip of the LP in your car stereo... (:

The only tune that I didn't enjoy right away was "Adam's Bridge"...just doesn't seem to add much to the album, but hopefully it'll grow on me.
moukoko2008
Friendly Stranger
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 11:33 am

Post by moukoko2008 »

Ha - Skytree, good spot on Stevie Wonder.

He bloody loves Stevie Wonder.
User avatar
Skytree
Sherbet Head
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Skytree »

(:
User avatar
lyst
Eagle Minded
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:53 pm

Post by lyst »

I'm not going to lie, i'm really loving this release.

It took about 3 weeks and careful listening for it to actually sink in.


My favorite cut is "Odyssey 31"
User avatar
88marquis
Sherbet Head
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:51 pm

Post by 88marquis »

You guys are making me jealous here!

I still have more waiting to do. :)
User avatar
88marquis
Sherbet Head
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:51 pm

Post by 88marquis »

Yeah. This is amazing. I love what he's doing with that groovy bass especially - very uplifting album I must say. I can't really tell for sure but some tracks I can hear a bass guitar, does Chris play bass by chance? I remember learning some Stevie Wonder riffs when I was starting out on bass.

The voice thats right in the beginning of Dymaxian and at the end of Guides Tones is completely eerie - I love it though. Guides Tones and Alexandria Genesis go hand in hand it feels, does anyone know what these tracks might represent? I think I might have an idea somewhat.. Excellent album, can't wait to get this in my car too!
User avatar
Distant Nebulus
Sherbet Head
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:32 pm
Location: MN

Re: Christ. "Distance Lends Enchantment to the View"

Post by Distant Nebulus »

Harbin Ice is by far my favorite track on this album. Over the years I've come to notice that it has a similar drum composition to Finity by BoC. It also has a similar build to a melodic ending to Happy Cycling.
Post a reply