lurkingrecords wrote:If Sevenfortyseven was indeed their new sound, and they scrapped it, I'd be right upset! That song is ONE OF THE MOST INTENSE things I've ever heard! It's all speculation so it might not even be the case!
Agreed. I liked 747. It's more of a fuller sound and perhaps less personal than older tracks, but I think it's be an interesting area for BoC to head in. Someone here mentioned before that 747 sounded like a psychedlic band jamming. I know they've talked up this notion a bit in interviews of a psychedelic band sound from a parallell universe, achieved only through bizzare and labourios studio techniques. I personally feel that they'd benefit from working on an idea like this.
Although I think perhaps they fell flat with this with something like Davyan Cowboy. That was a real dissapointment for me. However they have hinted at it in other tracks which have been more successful. Something that did interested me was Squarepushers more recent interviews where he talked up the idea of a virtual band from space, using wizardry to achieve some sound that challenges notions of what a live band could sound like. This all sounded fantastic but unfortunatley those recent records of his dissapointed. Of course there is the risk that something like that could end up sounded like the most horrible prog or those Amorphous Androgynous records. Squarepushers is a vastly different sound alright, but that's an idea I'd love to see BoC explore as a shift in style.
Even though the early electronic BoC sound is the one I fell in love with and will always go back to most, I do feel like they've mastered this and really nobody can better it. These days there does appears to be a plethora of Biters who seem to want to employ the same ideas but in my opinion get it all wrong. Hipster blogs and folks at sites like pitchfork seem to talk up the whole degraded and washed out melodic synths and all this hauntology / chillwave / glo fi guff as if all this was new, but really is it any different from the ideas that BoC were exploring to greater effect back in the 90's? Anyway, BoC always existed outside scenes but It'd be great if they came back with some crazy new sound that blew all these cats out of the water.
I'd be perfectly happy if they brought out anything to be honest. Even if it did retread old ground. I wouldn't object to an electronic record, a shoegaze record, a space disco record. I can't quite picture a Dubstep record though..hehe. I think that as talented artists they could turn their hand to any style of music and the results would be great or if not at very least interesting.
Personally I think that if they would have scrapped a record, that this would not have anything to do with concerns about their fanbases acceptance of a new direction or of passing trends in music. I don't think BoC would let these things get in the way of the creative process. I do think as many have pointed out, that it is a case of meticulous perfectionism. Perhaps with the record that was reportedly nearing completion all that time ago, Warp did sit with the record for too long deliberating its marketability or release date (as they allegedly did with the Plaid record), BoC got bored with that sound, called halt on it and set to task with a brand new one. Perhaps all this talk of two records coming out is infact the long overdue, scrapped record which has been updated and tweaked slightly along with a more recent record to be released seperately? Perhaps one will be their trademark sound record keeping old fans happy and the other a complete departure..unrecognisable as BoC? Who knows? All speculation yep, but all exciting and hopefully soon.