Thievery Corporation
Moderator: Aesthetics
Thievery Corporation
Just wanted to share my love of this band. I only discovered them within the last year or so and I can't believe I've just never come across them before, they are truely wonderful. 'Sweet Tides' is just the most beautiful song in the world as far as I'm concerned.
Anyone else as obsessed with them as I am?
Anyone else as obsessed with them as I am?
- saturdayindex
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1681
- Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:40 pm
- Location: Thailand, Japan, US, Netherlands, Australia
- pointlessdude
- Eagle Minded
- Posts: 282
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:55 pm
- Location: Madrid
- Totopatter
- Eagle Minded
- Posts: 300
- Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:51 pm
- Aesthetics
- Site Admin
- Posts: 5449
- Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:59 am
- Location: Lowlands
- Contact:
Like many artists I got introdiced to Thievery Corporation via the MTV Chillout zone. Back in 1997 I bought Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi when I got stuck on the trainstation Utrecht Centraal on the way back from holiday. I only knew the track 38:45 but was surprized how the album sounded. I still see the trainride in front of me when I hear certain songs.
A lot which they produced after it didn't had the atmosphere I hoped for. Only a few songs on The Mirror Conspiracy have this vibe. A few favs for those who want to discover TC:
Sounds from the Thievery Hi-fi: The Oscillator / Incident at Gate 7 / Universal Highness
The Mirror Conspiracy: Le Monde / Lebanese Blond / Shadows of Ourselves / Tomorrow
A lot which they produced after it didn't had the atmosphere I hoped for. Only a few songs on The Mirror Conspiracy have this vibe. A few favs for those who want to discover TC:
Sounds from the Thievery Hi-fi: The Oscillator / Incident at Gate 7 / Universal Highness
The Mirror Conspiracy: Le Monde / Lebanese Blond / Shadows of Ourselves / Tomorrow
Life is a Frequency
kyriakos wrote:The Mirror Conspiracy is one of my fav albums ever.
Just a perfect chillout/lounge album.
The Richest Man In Babylon and The Cosmic Game are also solid albums.
Not too keen on their recent stuff though.
Have you listened to Culture of Fear? Just been released I think, what I've heard so far has ben largely wonderful.
I really loved them when I first discovered them but their output didn't stay what I had hoped it would be and so I stopped paying attention around 2004. But I really credit them with changing my ear. Because of them and a few others (Fila Brazilia, Baby Fox, Buscemi) I began to like more jazz and bossanova.
If you like TC you might want to check out some of the others I mentioned as they are rather in the same vein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwA6fws ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-tg3LlF ... 6&index=20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJp7bW3O8Lc
All of it is just very sexy.
If you like TC you might want to check out some of the others I mentioned as they are rather in the same vein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwA6fws ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-tg3LlF ... 6&index=20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJp7bW3O8Lc
All of it is just very sexy.
dp wrote:I liked The Richest Man In Babylon for about two weeks. That was 4 or 5 years ago. I burned out on it pretty fast. I never listen to them anymore. I did get a co-worker friend of mine who is a big "jam band" guy into them though. He's seen them live a few times and really likes them.
Thievery Corporation live is a guarantee for a good gig.
Respect to the man in the ice cream van
