Where to start with Ae

Moderator: Aesthetics

User avatar
machinea
Sherbet Head
Posts: 666
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 am
Location: Northern California

Post by machinea »

YELLOW wrote:Chronologically.


totally.
User avatar
Lens Larque
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1177
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:26 am

Post by Lens Larque »

throw some live sets in there too. 2005 Glasgow is very clean, and Toronto 2008 berserk.

2010-03-28 live at Kino Siska, Ljubljana, Slovenia has a wild sea mammal rave nearer end, and an old skool lesson at the start.

Some of those live sets, or most of them, shame the albums.
User avatar
YELLOW
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:03 am
Location: Maine

Post by YELLOW »

The soundboards from 1993 Birmingham and 1996 Flex Vienna are worth checking out too
User avatar
Lens Larque
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1177
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:26 am

Post by Lens Larque »

YELLOW wrote:The soundboards from 1993 Birmingham and 1996 Flex Vienna are worth checking out too


Those are great!
User avatar
saturdayindex
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: Thailand, Japan, US, Netherlands, Australia

Post by saturdayindex »

turquoise70 wrote:
saturdayindex wrote:I'd suggest Tri Repetae. It's generally considered their most successful and approachable album, and is my personal favorite.

And make sure you get Tri Repetae++, it includes a second disc, which as Patryk Ludamage was saying includes both EP's Anvil Vapre and Garbage.


Yeah, I agree. I was introduced to Ae via Tri Repetae++ and although it was pretty weird hearing their older stuff and their newer stuff when my first impression of them was at that mid-point, that was a good place for me to start.


I really try to love their new stuff but it just doesn't do it for me as Tri Repetae did. I find it difficult to appreciate all the high, tinkly, sound-like-they-were-composed-with-a-midi-algorithm-generator bell sounds which are so prevalent throughout their latest couple of albums.

Fredd-E wrote:
Cupz wrote:http://www.mixcloud.com/VLR/is-it-washable-autechre-mixup/

also, listen to this mix.
I second this recommendation.

It's by far the most epic mix to have anyone listen for a proper introduction to the wonderful world of Autechre.

Mad props to DJ VLR for his unmatched skills. 34 tracks in 34 minutes. Seamless.


This is fan-****ing-tastic. What a well-produced mix.
User avatar
YELLOW
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:03 am
Location: Maine

Post by YELLOW »

I've grown to really love Autechre in the last few years, I think their entire body of work is unmatched, not just in what people call "IDM" but in the whole music field. They have 10 amazing full lengths and about 15 equally great EPs that have showed a general flow from early electro listening music, to glitch, chaos, and now they've been moving towards ambience. They consistently tour and DJ. Have hundreds of remixes and a ton of unreleased/compilation tracks out there. They have a massive amount of live material available on the web. They have some of the best looking album artwork. And they've recorded a handful of records under Gescom...

It's quite unreal. My utmost respect to them
User avatar
Fredd-E
Drone Operator
Posts: 4663
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:39 am
Contact:

Post by Fredd-E »

YELLOW wrote:It's quite unreal. My utmost respect to them
I feel exactly the same.

And then to think of the fact I hated AE several years ago, but still I kept the downloads, just in case. And then all of a sudden their music just clicked (acquired taste, anyone?) I instantly recovered the downloaded albums from before and started listening them. Not long after I started buying all their albums. And now they are my number 1 most listened artist on Last.FM. Yes, they even topped Boards of Canada. Nuff said! :)
User avatar
Seeya_Later
Sherbet Head
Posts: 830
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:01 am

Post by Seeya_Later »

I remember I bought Amber first and thought "This is extremely boring". Then I got EP7 and I was like "This is more like it!". Then I got the Gantz Graf single and I was like "YES!". Then I got Quaristice and I was in heaven.
overflow
User avatar
noby
Sherbet Head
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Post by noby »

Fredd-E wrote:And then to think of the fact I hated AE several years ago, but still I kept the downloads, just in case. And then all of a sudden their music just clicked (acquired taste, anyone?) I instantly recovered the downloaded albums from before and started listening them. Not long after I started buying all their albums. And now they are my number 1 most listened artist on Last.FM. Yes, they even topped Boards of Canada. Nuff said! :)

I had the same exact thing happen to me too.
User avatar
YELLOW
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:03 am
Location: Maine

Post by YELLOW »

I could pretty much say the same too. I bought Quaristice when it came out and thought I wasted $13, then I discovered Incunabula and went chronologically through their discog and really discovered what they were all about and how that progress led to their newer sounds. Absolutely love these Rochdale lads
Vexille
Sherbet Head
Posts: 820
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: lol'merica

Post by Vexille »

Chiastic Slide, seriously. Then LP5, the album that solidifies their commitment to madness.



Incubala is rather unremarkable, they hadn't quite defined their sound by then. Though you can hear the roots of it taking place. It sounds very "lets do what everybody else is doing right now".

Amber is probably going to be the BoC nerds favorite. I think it's got some good concepts but they were executed kinda in a boring way. The Garbage EP is a better take on that time period.

Tri Repetae is ace but the tracks are still relatively tame. It sounds like they want to unravel and break into chaotic pieces, but they never do.



Another thing about Autechre. Do not overlook EPs.
User avatar
turquoise70
Happy Cycler
Posts: 4901
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 am
Location: the system
Contact:

Post by turquoise70 »

saturdayindex wrote:
turquoise70 wrote:
saturdayindex wrote:I'd suggest Tri Repetae. It's generally considered their most successful and approachable album, and is my personal favorite.

And make sure you get Tri Repetae++, it includes a second disc, which as Patryk Ludamage was saying includes both EP's Anvil Vapre and Garbage.


Yeah, I agree. I was introduced to Ae via Tri Repetae++ and although it was pretty weird hearing their older stuff and their newer stuff when my first impression of them was at that mid-point, that was a good place for me to start.


I really try to love their new stuff but it just doesn't do it for me as Tri Repetae did. I find it difficult to appreciate all the high, tinkly, sound-like-they-were-composed-with-a-midi-algorithm-generator bell sounds which are so prevalent throughout their latest couple of albums.


I have to agree. I've listened to a lot of the newer stuff and I'm not really into any of it. I'm kinda the same way with Brian Eno and his Generative Music stuff.
"grand mistress of the grace note freedledeedee melodies" - Cupz, 2026
User avatar
The Friendly Stranger
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Post by The Friendly Stranger »

Vexille wrote:Another thing about Autechre. Do not overlook EPs.


VERY good point. The EP boxset released earlier this year would actually be an excellent place to start if you're not bothered about album artwork. Shows the progression of their sound very well. There's some real gems on the EPs - GarbageMx, Second Bad Vibel, Drane, Laughing Quarter and I suppose I should say Gantz Graf even though I hate it (it breaks my head). As a newbie I would say it's a must-buy.
User avatar
Seeya_Later
Sherbet Head
Posts: 830
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:01 am

Post by Seeya_Later »

The Friendly Stranger wrote:I suppose I should say Gantz Graf even though I hate it (it breaks my head)


My dad bought me a copy because he knew I liked Autechre. I think he listened to it before it he gave it to me, basically he didn't have much to say about it.

It is perhaps Autechre's most inaccessible track to date.
overflow
User avatar
Negamuse
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:45 am

Post by Negamuse »

Seeya_Later wrote:
The Friendly Stranger wrote:I suppose I should say Gantz Graf even though I hate it (it breaks my head)


My dad bought me a copy because he knew I liked Autechre. I think he listened to it before it he gave it to me, basically he didn't have much to say about it.

It is perhaps Autechre's most inaccessible track to date.


It makes a lot more sense with the video. When it came out I thought that was the video acting as an accessible gimmick for it, but over time I've come to think of the video as a kind of a map or a key, to show the sense in it.
User avatar
YELLOW
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:03 am
Location: Maine

Post by YELLOW »

User avatar
The Friendly Stranger
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Post by The Friendly Stranger »

MrMessiah wrote:
Seeya_Later wrote:
The Friendly Stranger wrote:I suppose I should say Gantz Graf even though I hate it (it breaks my head)


My dad bought me a copy because he knew I liked Autechre. I think he listened to it before it he gave it to me, basically he didn't have much to say about it.

It is perhaps Autechre's most inaccessible track to date.


It makes a lot more sense with the video. When it came out I thought that was the video acting as an accessible gimmick for it, but over time I've come to think of the video as a kind of a map or a key, to show the sense in it.


Definitely. For me, the video justifies the track!
User avatar
Seeya_Later
Sherbet Head
Posts: 830
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:01 am

Post by Seeya_Later »

Well, I enjoyed Gantz Graf. I saw the video first, and I actually thought there was no actual release of the track. I thought it was just a video.
overflow
User avatar
Dissolved
Posts Quantity
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Post by Dissolved »

With AE, after spending some time with Oversteps, I've recently been coming back to Draft 7.30, Chiastic Slide, Envane, Cichlisuite and LP5, just remarkable releases.
Post a reply