Your taste and relatives.
Moderator: Aesthetics
Your taste and relatives.
Do you think your taste in music runs in the family.
I do know my grandpa was this excentric artist, I think I got that "eerie unsettling tape" from him.If thats so...I think it runs a bit in the family.
Do you have someone (s) like this?
I do know my grandpa was this excentric artist, I think I got that "eerie unsettling tape" from him.If thats so...I think it runs a bit in the family.
Do you have someone (s) like this?
Throw away your smartphone.
Re: Your taste and relatives.
Cupz wrote:Do you think your taste in music runs in the family.
I do know my grandpa was this excentric artist, I think I got that "eerie unsettling tape" from him.If thats so...I think it runs a bit in the family.
Do you have someone (s) like this?
What's the "eerie unsettling tape"?
As for my family. Hell no. My dad once completely flipped out when I brought home "Fook" by Pigface. He said something along the lines of, "I don't want you supporting this shit." And that was just from looking at the cover. I thought his head was going to pop off right in front of me.
My older brother is the closest. I remember while he was in college he was really into experimenting with and finding new artists. I'd sneak into his room while he was away and listen to his latest purchases.
Re: Your taste and relatives.
wwbjd wrote:Cupz wrote:..."eerie unsettling tape"
What's the "eerie unsettling tape"?
Well...a while ago I made this thread about a tape I found somewhere in a cupboard.It was really...warpy.
Amon Tobin feat. Jarre (It wasn`t that...but its the best way to describe.
I`m still going to transfer it...just need to get the equip...
Throw away your smartphone.
- IanRedpoint
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1414
- Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:34 pm
- Location: London, England
My folks (both now in their sixties) played me both Kraftwerk and Tangerine Deam when I was small. I was always turned on by strange sounds that I couldn't trace. It seemed so much more interesting than regular orchestral instruments or guitars. They also bought me a drumkit for my birthday one year.
I owe them a lot.
I owe them a lot.
My father listens to Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand. My mother, brother, and older sister listens to Country music. I think I have properly trained my little sister though. She listens to some nice lesser known music, Smashing Pumpkins (im a huge fan) and lots of David Bowie, which I don't think is to bad for a 17 yr old girl.
jonnyjj74 wrote:My father listens to Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand. My mother, brother, and older sister listens to Country music. I think I have properly trained my little sister though. She listens to some nice lesser known music, Smashing Pumpkins (im a huge fan) and lots of David Bowie, which I don't think is to bad for a 17 yr old girl.
I feel ya...I got my sister addicted to Air and Blockhead
Throw away your smartphone.
My father was a session musician and a member of the Musician's Guild in NYC as a young man. He was still playing when I was young, but stopped all together when I was like 10. He and I both started playing (again) when I was like 14. However our musical tastes were so different that we really didn't connect. He would tell me that the hardcore and punk I was listening to was garbage and perhaps (musically) he was right. It wasn't until my interests in music (through mostly my own experiences) changed that we were able to play together. I would play drums for him on his stuff and he would play bass or guitars on my stuff. Unfortunately he passed away before we really got to play alot. I think his influence is just in the love of playing music not necessarily style. I think my mother had a more profound although more subtle affect. I spent most days at home with mom before going to school (like most of us) and she listened to music all day. Mostly folk and rock, Carol King, Melony, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac and The Rolling Stones. Of course it was all vinyl too, so just warm acoustic sounds mostly. That's definetly still with me to this day.
I don't know from who i got my obsession in all kinds of music styles. Not from my family that's for sure! Ever since i was a child i was always listen to the radio at home, i felt enchanted by all those sounds. In the early '70s a close friend let me listen to 'Bryter Later'[1970] from Nick Drake. I found it very overwhelming, and it's the first record i bought ever! In the village where i lived at that time we had a small recordshop, the owner was a young female and she sold music i never heard on the radio at that time, like Can, The Velvet Underground, Brian Eno, lot's of obscure '60s bands, even jazz from the '50s. Since my 12th birtday i saved all my pocket money to by records, my dad didn't liked what i was listening to but i'm glad he never stopped me from doing my own thing. In 1980 i heard of a new local radiostation who played lot's of music i never heard on any other stations, they played all kinds of styles and i got hooked even more. After my tour of duty in 1984, i joined that radio, [Radio Centraal 106.7FM] even after 30 years i'm still listening, purchasing music. I wouldn't have it any other way. 
- thedisavowed
- Happy Cycler
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:35 pm
- Location: Texas
- Contact:
IanRedpoint wrote:My folks (both now in their sixties) played me both Kraftwerk and Tangerine Deam when I was small. I was always turned on by strange sounds that I couldn't trace. It seemed so much more interesting than regular orchestral instruments or guitars. They also bought me a drumkit for my birthday one year.
I owe them a lot.
They sound like cool parents (musically). My dad introduced me to Tangerine Dream too, albeit indirectly.
My dad was a concert piano major for sometime (before he switched to buisness) and so I have quite a lot of experience with classical artists and with people like Keith Jarrett.
My dad was also really impressed by synthesizers during the 80's and 90's, which manifested itself mostly in New Age music, which I don't really listen to now, but that I think paved the way for my acceptance of acts like Aphex and Boards.
My dad has never gotten into Boards of Canada, but he likes Aphex, especially songs like "4" and "On" and "Beetles" because he says he's never heard anything like them before.
Edit: And he really seemed to enjoy Drukqs too, which kind of surprised me b/c that record at the time had kind of an 'appreciation curve' for me for the first few weeks.
- The Telepathic Kid
- Happy Cycler
- Posts: 3051
- Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:26 pm
- Location: Australia
- Contact:
thedisavowed wrote:Edit: And he really seemed to enjoy Drukqs too, which kind of surprised me b/c that record at the time had kind of an 'appreciation curve' for me for the first few weeks.
Throw away your smartphone.
- thedisavowed
- Happy Cycler
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:35 pm
- Location: Texas
- Contact:
- Noraa Selim
- Friendly Stranger
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
- Location: Seattle, Washington USA
- Contact:
My mom was a huge Mannheim Steamroller fan when I was growing up, so when I hit the ground running as a teen I had pretty bizzare tastes in music. She was all into funky 70 bass guitar records, some reggae... That was a huge inspiration. My dad likes country and could never tolorate my moms albums for too long heh heh.
Growing up I took the newage route. From Steve Roach and Kevin Breheny, I branched into Ambient Dub/house from the Orb... which lead to fsol, aphex (which I actually rarely listen to nowadays) and now BOC.
Growing up I took the newage route. From Steve Roach and Kevin Breheny, I branched into Ambient Dub/house from the Orb... which lead to fsol, aphex (which I actually rarely listen to nowadays) and now BOC.
IanRedpoint wrote:My folks (both now in their sixties) played me both Kraftwerk and Tangerine Deam when I was small. I was always turned on by strange sounds that I couldn't trace. It seemed so much more interesting than regular orchestral instruments or guitars. They also bought me a drumkit for my birthday one year.
I owe them a lot.
hehe we were seperated at birth maybe or grew up in parallel universes, snap, ditto etc etc, but add a bit of Jarre and Oldfield into the equation. And got a four track with the drum kit
- Goiter Sanchez
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1522
- Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:39 am
- Location: San Francisco, California
- Contact:
Cupz wrote:thedisavowed wrote:Edit: And he really seemed to enjoy Drukqs too, which kind of surprised me b/c that record at the time had kind of an 'appreciation curve' for me for the first few weeks.
'appreciation curve'??? Drukqs is amazing...the first time I heard it was like...whoa
It took me over a year to even <i>like</i> Druqks, let alone appreciate it.