yeah i have the dvd for this and will admit it's better with the video. i suppose my biggest problem is reconciling it with the rest of the b.o.c. back catalog - everything else of theirs that i love is super complex and mysterious, whereas "dayvan" is all surface to me. it's closer to a moby aesthetic than i'm comfortable with, all those uplifting strings and chords and strumming guitars that sound straight out of an S.U.V. commercial. perhaps if it was the only thing i'd heard of b.o.c. i would be way more charitable.
yeah i have the dvd for this and will admit it's better with the video. i suppose my biggest problem is reconciling it with the rest of the b.o.c. back catalog - everything else of theirs that i love is super complex and mysterious, whereas "dayvan" is all surface to me. it's closer to a moby aesthetic than i'm comfortable with, all those uplifting strings and chords and strumming guitars that sound straight out of an S.U.V. commercial. perhaps if it was the only thing i'd heard of b.o.c. i would be way more charitable.
yeah i know what you mean. its quite mainstream sounding imo.
I can't stand gyroscope... it's too repetitive for me. It's one of the only songs on Geogaddi that I don't absolutely love. Though if it's playing off in the background I can enjoy it that way lol. And the whole recreating the song from a dream thing is pretty cool.
I'm not too big into a lot of their old tunes... some of it is okay.
I used to hate Dayvan Cowboy but now I can listen to it.
For some reason Constants are Changing bothers me lol.
I'd probably say Dayvan for the same reasons that Breadmaker has cited... I generally skip it, but it's more about the aesthetic and feel in relation to much of the other BOC output - 'odd one out' is closer to the label I'd give it, rather than 'worst song'.
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:As much as I might be flamed for this, I must admit that I find about 65% of MHTRTC skippable. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.
It depends. I have to be in the mood for it I guess- which when I am I love every second of it. But there are times when I put that album on and just end up skipping songs because they seem too repetitive and bland. I still love it though.
My problem with that song is that it makes me uncomfortable but the song was totally created for that reason so I can't say I dislike it. I kinda love it.
With BoC's music, I think you have to have an acquired taste for it. There's many things about their music that I very much enjoy. If the melody hasn't caught my attention, the textures in the song is what did.
Like in Gyroscope. It's not very melodically driven, but the textures of the percussion are so crisp and detailed, it kind of swims a little bit. I think when people listen to Boards of Canada, they should listen with a more creative ear. You know, look for things in their songs you wouldn't normally look for in other songs.
I remember when I first heard of Boards of Canada, I was very bored by their music. I thought their drum loops were boring, I thought the chords were too repetitive, and I thought the melodies were too plain. But now, it's so much different. I feel like their music really opened me up to finding new things in songs, and new things to like about music, in general.
Some of their songs may be very mundane and repetitive, but I think it's the creative atmosphere of those "boring" songs that really keep me interested.
It is completely natural to find things to hate about something you really love.
With me BoC is one of those bands that have such a specific sound I need to be in the mood for their music. When I am it's absolutely amazing but I can't pretend to love something and not find flaws in it.