Anyone tried a MIDI guitar?

Moderator: Aesthetics

Post a reply
User avatar
saturdayindex
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: Thailand, Japan, US, Netherlands, Australia

Anyone tried a MIDI guitar?

Post by saturdayindex »

Stumbled on this today. Anybody tried it? I think it could be a lot of fun..

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/11/jams ... -the-ipad/

8)
User avatar
vballs
Sherbet Head
Posts: 693
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Post by vballs »

I have not but damn they look like fun, I want one.
powershoes
Posts Quantity
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:48 am
Location: elephant island

Post by powershoes »

i haven't tried a midi guitar, but this guy has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RgvkuDDaE
User avatar
Treefingers
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: England

Post by Treefingers »

I'd quite like to be able to run one through the Ableton Simpler, that'd be cool.
User avatar
saturdayindex
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: Thailand, Japan, US, Netherlands, Australia

Post by saturdayindex »

powershoes wrote:i haven't tried a midi guitar, but this guy has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RgvkuDDaE


That looks pretty interesting as well (though it looks as though it replaces the strings with a load of buttons, which I don't know if I could have the patience for).
User avatar
OzModule
Boqurant
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:10 pm
Contact:

Post by OzModule »

I've seen those before but I didn't know they were considered to be a 'midi guitar'.
I've always associated midi guitars with something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oggIhHi2E
Beacon
Eagle Minded
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:57 pm
Contact:

Post by Beacon »

Here's a cheap ($99) guitar to MIDI converter I've been using: http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

It's monophonic but works pretty well for the price.
User avatar
Cupz
High Scorer
Posts: 10670
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Post by Cupz »

Here's a thought. Wouldn't it be possible to turn your standard electric guitar into a midi guitar through software? It would just register what note you where playing and it reads it as midi input? Chords would be a bitch, but doable as well I think (harmony ranges?). I'm not convinced I want to spend money on equipment that would solve a problem software could as well (in theory at least). Untill then, I'll keep using this:
Image

and jam it like this:

Image
Throw away your smartphone.
Post a reply