The End?

Moderators: Aesthetics, Drones, Hexagon Sun

is this the end of boards of canada?

no
88
81%
yes
21
19%
 
Total votes: 109

User avatar
rainier
Sherbet Head
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Post by rainier »

I'm sure they'll still make music, I just don't know if we'll get to hear any of it. I hope so obviously. I'm sure they have so much stuff we haven't heard just because it wouldn't fit cohesively on an album, or maybe wouldn't fit into what people expect them to sound like. I hope we get to hear some of that stuff eventually.
User avatar
The Other
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Things Betwixt

Post by The Other »

I say no. They will end with 6 full length releases. :twisted:
User avatar
In_The_Annexe
Eagle Minded
Posts: 382
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Canada

Post by In_The_Annexe »

I honestly think within the realms of possibility that BoC might release a follow up EP after Tomorrows Harvest. This is soley what I think so in such, is pure speculation like everyone else here, either then that I don't see them releasing another LP, if they do maybe after awhile... These two aren't necessarily the most media influenced and do things their own way.
you don't care to hear until you listen
User avatar
RSwessem
Boqurant
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by RSwessem »

Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.
User avatar
MindElevation
Sherbet Head
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: UK

Post by MindElevation »

RSwessem wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.


That would be cool indeed, however I feel Mike and Marcus have something special engrained in them from childhood which could not be replicated, even by their own kids.
User avatar
Betterthanyourkids
Eagle Minded
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 pm
Location: MPLS
Contact:

Post by Betterthanyourkids »

Yeah, they actually do have kids, I think Mike had one when they were creating Geogaddi (so like 2000/2001 ish?). I don't thunk the "legacy" of BoC can really/ should be continued, because it's the Sandison bros. thing,something that in my mind shouldn't be replicated, because it kind of takes away from how special their music really is.
User avatar
chorus
Posts Quantity
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: Norway

Post by chorus »

Betterthanyourkids wrote:Yeah, they actually do have kids, I think Mike had one when they were creating Geogaddi (so like 2000/2001 ish?). I don't thunk the "legacy" of BoC can really/ should be continued, because it's the Sandison bros. thing,something that in my mind shouldn't be replicated, because it kind of takes away from how special their music really is.


BOC teens

Image
User avatar
apriorion
Posts Quantity
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 pm

Post by apriorion »

Why on Earth would this even occur to anyone as a question, let alone something to raise at this moment? They just announced an eagerly anticipated album, and they even released a new press photo: they're clearly not throwing in the towel. I can understand if someone posted this about a month ago, but now? That's highly inappropriate. Let's look forward to their tunes and avoid speculating about their demise; what do you say?

I, for one, am looking forward to anything they produce, and I hope they never "retire". Long live BOC.
User avatar
Headphase
Eagle Minded
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Post by Headphase »

Considering how long it has been since the last album, I definitely think there will be a few EPS, if not at least one more full length album
User avatar
justin
Posts Quantity
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: The southern western great white north
Contact:

Post by justin »

All Good things as they say ...

If this was in fact the last album I would very much respect them for their contribution to electronic music and music production in general . I'm a firm believer that you should quit while on top . If they think they have reached their creative peak and that they have travled to the end of the proverbial Trans Canada Highway then i'm at peace with that .

They are the Beatles or Pink Floyd of the genre . I hope that they have an opportunity to totally recess back into private life again one day .Enjoying the days with their children , family and friends as their music continues to inspire a sense of nostalgia and wonder to new generations .
A B R A C A D A B R A
.A B R A C A D A B R
..A B R A C A D A B
...A B R A C A D A
....A B R A C A D
.....A B R A C A
......A B R A C
.......A B R A
........A B R
.........A B
..........A
Yellow Records
Sherbet Head
Posts: 682
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Syracuse, New York

Post by Yellow Records »

MindElevation wrote:
RSwessem wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.


That would be cool indeed, however I feel Mike and Marcus have something special engrained in them from childhood which could not be replicated, even by their own kids.


VERY valid point, indeed.
ImageImage
User avatar
b0qurant
Eagle Minded
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Post by b0qurant »

Yellow Records wrote:
MindElevation wrote:
RSwessem wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.


That would be cool indeed, however I feel Mike and Marcus have something special engrained in them from childhood which could not be replicated, even by their own kids.


VERY valid point, indeed.


With all due respect, I think it would be mega-cheesy and weird if their kids just continued Boards of Canada. I really hope that any music branded "Boards of Canada" is only Mike & Marcus until the end.

Also, people say that the BOCset was "promised." Does anyone have proof that we know this is coming? I believe you guys, but I would just like to see some confirmation if possible
User avatar
Vostok
Eagle Minded
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 am
Location: denver CO

Post by Vostok »

b0qurant wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:
MindElevation wrote:
RSwessem wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:If I were Boards of Canada, I would make music till the day I die.

And adopt an apprentice to learn my skills and methods to pass them onto further generations. please be me.


On a related note, do Michael and/or Marcus have any children? I vaguely remember reading about that. Anyway, if they do, it would be cool if their kids would succeed their fathers and continue the legacy that is Boards of Canada.


That would be cool indeed, however I feel Mike and Marcus have something special engrained in them from childhood which could not be replicated, even by their own kids.


VERY valid point, indeed.


With all due respect, I think it would be mega-cheesy and weird if their kids just continued Boards of Canada. I really hope that any music branded "Boards of Canada" is only Mike & Marcus until the end.

Also, people say that the BOCset was "promised." Does anyone have proof that we know this is coming? I believe you guys, but I would just like to see some confirmation if possible


"MDG: "At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.""
User avatar
harpoon dodger
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 2342
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:20 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by harpoon dodger »

No, that would be lame.
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.
User avatar
egbdf
Eagle Minded
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 am

Post by egbdf »

For all we know they've been releasing non-BoC-like music under some pseudonym and will continue to do so.

I can't see them stopping making music, but I can see them running out of new ideas as Boards of Canada.

But if they wanted to release something that sounds hardly like BoC, they would probably do it secretly under a pseudonym because they wouldn't want people listening to it with the bias that they are Mike and Marcus.

Seems like they may have said they'd like to do this in an interview.
User avatar
depechedaz
Boqurant
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:12 pm
Location: kent uk

Post by depechedaz »

Surely this all depends on the record contract with Warp?? We don't no how many albums they signed for and over how long, so it may or may not be the end!
User avatar
MindElevation
Sherbet Head
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: UK

Post by MindElevation »

Judging from that MDG quote, this album couldn't be further from being the end
User avatar
nickb523
Posts Quantity
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:59 am
Location: Scotland

Post by nickb523 »

I dont think it'll be "the end" as such.... i do however wonder excatly what it is they are about to deliver and how the public will react to it - Gut instinct shouts that this release is going to divide the fanbase good and proper.
User avatar
egbdf
Eagle Minded
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 am

Post by egbdf »

MindElevation wrote:Judging from that MDG quote, this album couldn't be further from being the end


What MDG quote?
User avatar
MindElevation
Sherbet Head
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: UK

Post by MindElevation »

egbdf wrote:
MindElevation wrote:Judging from that MDG quote, this album couldn't be further from being the end


What MDG quote?


It's an old quote, but I'm sure it's still relevant

MDG: "At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.""
Post a reply