Radiobuzz wrote:Well, for me it doesn't have a specific meaning but it's more of a word that conjures up ideas about man and his relation with nature and god. Even though nature is somehow a recurring thing in BoC's music, I think on Geogaddi is one of the central focus, theme-wise (dawn choruses, math, etc) and texture-wise (the sound not only sounds old, it has the sound of technology being destroyed by nature).
Rodheh wrote:Well, yeah. I mean, most people's opinion on it hover around the cycle of life to death, spirituality, energy, psychedelic usage, history and I've even seen time travel, as far-fetched as it seems. However, I'd yet to hear this sort of analysis of it.
the word geogaddi means nothing to me, other than the name of this collection of boards of canada tracks. if I had to put a meaning to it, I would say it's the sound of childhood wonder, fear, discovery and paranoia during this period of time in history. themes of math, nature, and religion are so frequent, it just kind of feels unknown as to how they are are related. the album is presented almost as a psychedlic trip, with a beginning track titled 'ready let's go.' I'm sure you can figure out what I mean by that. it is an amazing record, the first boards album I ever heard.
I personally think "the earth to run wild twice over" is an interpretation that warrants more attention.
As if there are these very modern ambient and IDMish song structures with this overgrowth of fuzz and organic instrumentation, and stuff like "In the Annexe", "Corsair" and "Energy Warning" being sort of cautionary things about human nature, human habit and I guess mainly human evil?
Any way you spin it, it's a dense, beautifully confusing album.
I notice a new thing in the mix everytime I listen to it.
maybe its because of the way i say it. GEO - GOD - E
but ive always interpreted it to mean the universal views towards god.
the world has varying opinions on what god may or may not be. and i feel as though BOC's music has always had an underlying tone that pushes you to think for yourself and follow your own belief system.
An album with outstanding moments which stirs something in me I can't quite put my finger on. Yet, it's a difficult listen at the best of times and has tracks I really wish were missing from it.
The album itself I see as a response to paranoia and panic causing us to rely to government or religion for solace. Titles like "Beware the Friendly Stranger" seem to me to be a reflection of our irrational fear of the potential of danger in someone we don't know while "Over the Horizon Radar", the moment the album begins to come down, is a term for a technology used in the Cold War as a means of detecting missiles early. Geogaddi's theme is especially relevant for being released a year after 9/11 which sent the Western world into a frenzy.
Fireal420 wrote:do the letters in geogaddi unscramble into another word? im not very good with scrambling words that big or i would try it myself, lol.