My Second Song

Moderator: Aesthetics

Post a reply
User avatar
Tarsier
Posts Quantity
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:40 am

My Second Song

Post by Tarsier »

http://media.putfile.com/Tea-for-the-Forest-Dwellers

here's my second try at making music, when you listen to it, imagine a trail in a dark forest with a group of people carrying candles and trays with tea cups and tea pots on them, and boxes of tea bags, and everything tea-like.. on their way to give offerings to appease the forest creatures ^.^

also! with my first song i used a lot of pre made drum loops and stuff, but with this one it was all by hand, so i did everything myself

hope you like it, tell me what you think ^.^
Image
User avatar
hills west
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1006
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:14 pm

Post by hills west »

dont play off your music as a joke..there is a quality to your melodies...you have good ideas...organize your beats more and this will be something special for you...i mean it
User avatar
Cupz
High Scorer
Posts: 10670
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Post by Cupz »

There is nothing wrong with a little tong-in-cheek humeur, but I didn`t really enjoy the song...
Throw away your smartphone.
User avatar
Tarsier
Posts Quantity
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:40 am

Post by Tarsier »

:(
Image
User avatar
nlogax
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:26 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by nlogax »

that main bongo thing is clashing against the melody i think, and lose the cymbal imo; otherwise, you're already better than me :lol:

little dittie that i did tonite:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/nlogax-red- ... g-mp3.html :oops:
User avatar
Tarsier
Posts Quantity
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:40 am

Post by Tarsier »

Image
User avatar
Tarsier
Posts Quantity
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:40 am

Post by Tarsier »

nobody cares!!!>.<
Image
User avatar
mechanismj
Nova Scotia Robot
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by mechanismj »

What software are you guys using to make your tunes?
User avatar
The Other
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Things Betwixt

Post by The Other »

mechanismj wrote:What software are you guys using to make your tunes?


i dont really use software...only to get a final mix...other then that..its not really part of my process of making tunes...however if i play out live i will take the recorded parts and sequence them in live
User avatar
Tarsier
Posts Quantity
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:40 am

Post by Tarsier »

garage band.

i am planning on getting reason 3.0 as soon as possible though.
Image
User avatar
Cupz
High Scorer
Posts: 10670
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Post by Cupz »

Tarsier wrote:garage band.

i am planning on getting reason 3.0 as soon as possible though.


If this is working for ya, why change? Just becouse the interface is "more profecional"? :lol: Its not about the tools...
Throw away your smartphone.
User avatar
nlogax
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:26 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by nlogax »

I use Buzz from www.buzzmachines.com; it's free and relatively easy to make interesting sounds from it.

I'm taking piano lessons and when I get better at it i'll mix it up with some hardware action.
User avatar
mechanismj
Nova Scotia Robot
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by mechanismj »

I've used a ton of stuff throughout the years. I started on trackers like Impulse Tracker while using Fast Tracker 2 to make samples with a really crummy microphone I used to have.

When I got XP I could no longer use Impulse Tracker because it requires DOS... so I had to switch. I started using Buzz, but it's insanely buggy and crashes all the time. Then, I started to use Renoise, but it just sounds far to cold and digital. Then, I settled on FL Studio 5. It sounds a bit warmer than a lot of other programs, and has good VST support. I use that in conjunction with Sound Forge 6 for sample editing/ making.

But that's true. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I say continue using Garage Band till you know it like the back of your hand.
User avatar
Tarsier
Posts Quantity
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:40 am

Post by Tarsier »

reason 3.0 is thousands and thousands and thousands of times better than garageband, it's better for the stuff i'm interested it. garageband is pretty much just a side tool for film makers (which i am, but i want to move on to bigger things) or highschool bands who want to record something and slap it all together.

reason is teh sexy.. so much you can do 8)
Image
User avatar
Cupz
High Scorer
Posts: 10670
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Post by Cupz »

Tarsier wrote:reason 3.0 is thousands and thousands and thousands of times better than garageband, it's better for the stuff i'm interested it. garageband is pretty much just a side tool for film makers (which i am, but i want to move on to bigger things) or highschool bands who want to record something and slap it all together.

reason is teh sexy.. so much you can do 8)


hmmm...well, do what you must, but I can create beautifull tracks using Sound-Club (a midi-editor from 1990)so its reaaaaly not about the tools, but about the feel for music and creativity you have.

Can you show us some of your films? :lol:

ps. I added you as friend (Im the paracat guy)
Throw away your smartphone.
pippin
Friendly Stranger
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:54 pm

Post by pippin »

I like the story, and I like the music Tarsier. The bongo etc does seem to clash though.
Keep writing stories
User avatar
steve-o
Sherbet Head
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:23 pm
Location: on the farm
Contact:

Post by steve-o »

Cupz wrote:
Tarsier wrote:reason 3.0 is thousands and thousands and thousands of times better than garageband, it's better for the stuff i'm interested it. garageband is pretty much just a side tool for film makers (which i am, but i want to move on to bigger things) or highschool bands who want to record something and slap it all together.

reason is teh sexy.. so much you can do 8)


hmmm...well, do what you must, but I can create beautifull tracks using Sound-Club (a midi-editor from 1990)so its reaaaaly not about the tools, but about the feel for music and creativity you have.

Can you show us some of your films? :lol:

ps. I added you as friend (Im the paracat guy)


I used Garageband for alot of my early tunes with great results. I actually like pushing limitations of software instead of having them be limitless. However, I now use Live and Reason and sometimes I go back and listen to the tunes I did on Garageband and they have a quality that I don't get in the other two, not necessarily a production thing. Actually I can't put my finger on it. I also like using lots of crappy tape machines.
User avatar
Cupz
High Scorer
Posts: 10670
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Post by Cupz »

steve-o wrote: I actually like pushing limitations of software instead of having them be limitless.


Exacly!
Throw away your smartphone.
User avatar
mechanismj
Nova Scotia Robot
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by mechanismj »

steve-o wrote:
Cupz wrote:
Tarsier wrote:reason 3.0 is thousands and thousands and thousands of times better than garageband, it's better for the stuff i'm interested it. garageband is pretty much just a side tool for film makers (which i am, but i want to move on to bigger things) or highschool bands who want to record something and slap it all together.

reason is teh sexy.. so much you can do 8)


hmmm...well, do what you must, but I can create beautifull tracks using Sound-Club (a midi-editor from 1990)so its reaaaaly not about the tools, but about the feel for music and creativity you have.

Can you show us some of your films? :lol:

ps. I added you as friend (Im the paracat guy)


I used Garageband for alot of my early tunes with great results. I actually like pushing limitations of software instead of having them be limitless. However, I now use Live and Reason and sometimes I go back and listen to the tunes I did on Garageband and they have a quality that I don't get in the other two, not necessarily a production thing. Actually I can't put my finger on it. I also like using lots of crappy tape machines.


Actually, you make a good point about that. It's not as if I was a "slave" to the software or whatever, but my tracks did seem to take on different styles depending on what programs I used.

In Impulse Tracker, they seemed to have a gritty, almost industrial quality, in Buzz they were far more dancey, in Renoise, they became really clean and melodic, and FL Studio seems to be a culmination of all of the other phases for me.
User avatar
ExitEuXa
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 2242
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by ExitEuXa »

Nice melodies, but i hate that bass drum in it. :wink:
Post a reply