Trying to get a decent rip from Dave's tapes is still something I occasionally revisit on a rainy weekend. I managed to splice the one that split and get a rip without extreme pitch flutter and with the pitch and speed synced using mhtrtc tracks. But the fidelity was very bad, and I'm using a de magnetised and clean tascam 4 track deck, so not a heap of shit. So I reckon it's just that the cheaper tapes they were copied on to haven't really coped with years in the cupboard.
At this point probably the sensible thing for me to do is post it back to Dave and leave those where they are!
btw, fwiw, I reckon the boc maxima rip, even compared to the "flac" that goes around and the remasters, despite its imperfections, is the best one going.
I appreciate your effort in trying to get us a rip of this mythical tape. Reckon you could still rip it despite the crappy fidelity? some of us like screwed up tape. it's like fine whine
Just saw the rareboc site is down now. Not sure if anyone has uploaded the full DAVE rips since but here are the mp3 copies from the previously mentioned Magic Window Discord server. https://archive.org/details/maxima-a-do ... eased-soon
Flory wrote:Just saw the rareboc site is down now. Not sure if anyone has uploaded the full DAVE rips since but here are the mp3 copies from the previously mentioned Magic Window Discord server. https://archive.org/details/maxima-a-do ... eased-soon
rareboc is up for me at least, maybe you're using the old URL (.ax.lt)? new URL has been https://www.rareboc.org/ since around 2023
if it was a temporary outage, nevermind, but good idea regardless to archive those