A Metal Thread

Moderator: Aesthetics

Post a reply
User avatar
thedisavowed
Happy Cycler
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

A Metal Thread

Post by thedisavowed »

I know nothing about metal. But I was watching Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny last night and it has me curious.

Any fans here? Any recommendations?
User avatar
Vordhosbn
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:10 am
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Contact:

Post by Vordhosbn »

TOOL. No actually Tool is hardly metal. I hate heavy metal anyways. But tool rules. Their early albums are really really hard.

As for the kind of metal in Tenacious D, (great movie) I dunno...
Black then White are all I see in my infancy...Red and Yellow then came to me, reachin' out to me, lets me see...
User avatar
silo flame
Eagle Minded
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:32 pm

Post by silo flame »

what kind of metal you looking for? if you want true metal (not death metal, grind, etc) check out iron maiden, helloween, manowar, testament, overkill....i used to be really into metal, will always appreciate it.
User avatar
thedisavowed
Happy Cycler
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by thedisavowed »

silo flame wrote:what kind of metal you looking for? if you want true metal (not death metal, grind, etc) check out iron maiden, helloween, manowar, testament, overkill....i used to be really into metal, will always appreciate it.


Give me some albums you recommend. I'm totally ignorant about this stuff.
User avatar
Infinite E
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:02 pm
Contact:

Post by Infinite E »

silo flame wrote: true metal (not death metal, grind, etc)


Metal subgenres crack me up. That guy played his guitar slightly slower and grunted a bit more! OMG new genre!

I can't get into the 'extreme' metal what the kids listen to nowadays, I have tried... however I do love a bit of sabbath, also the slow funky stuff like Kyuss
"Now son, don't worry, those were just lies Daddy told to get prescription drugs"
User avatar
wwbjd
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1617
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 9:01 pm
Contact:

Post by wwbjd »

Black Sabbath - "We Sold Our Souls For Rock N' Roll"

Check out the tracks "Black Sabbath" & "War Pigs". The above is a compilation album I believe.

Or, check out the albums, "Black Sabbath" and "Master of Reality".
User avatar
jonnyjj74
Sherbet Head
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Post by jonnyjj74 »

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Declared by many magazines as being the the best metal album of the decade...I don't disagree at all. It is a great intro into real metal, the way that Aphex Twin is a good intro into IDM.
If you like that style I can give you a dozen more great bands with varying styles to choose from.
User avatar
kyriakos
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Canada

Post by kyriakos »

i like Sunn O)))
dooooooom droonnne metal mmmm
User avatar
jonnyjj74
Sherbet Head
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Post by jonnyjj74 »

silo flame wrote:what kind of metal you looking for? if you want true metal (not death metal, grind, etc) check out iron maiden, helloween, manowar, testament, overkill....i used to be really into metal, will always appreciate it.

All those bands are really cheesy. :) Manowar album covers crack me up Image
Frank
Sherbet Head
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by Frank »

Meshuggah is a great band, if you'd like some "non-average" metal.
Oh and Tool, although that is a subgenre on itsellf, is great as well.
User avatar
Guido
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:45 am

Post by Guido »

I love metal! Check my last.fm for what I listen.

I can also absolutely recommend Meshuggah. They're my favourite metal band. They might be "difficult" for a first time listener though.

And how anti-BoC it may be, owning people in the mosh pit is one of the best feelings there is :P.
User avatar
esselfortium
Eagle Minded
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Post by esselfortium »

I don't listen to a lot of metal bands, but In Flames and Opeth are pretty awesome.

I'd recommend the albums Colony, Whoracle, and The Jester Race from In Flames.

From Opeth, well..to be honest, I mostly just listen to Damnation, which is an unbelievably good album, but it's not metal at all. It kicks 73 different types of ass though :P
User avatar
Chime Traveler
Friendly Stranger
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:26 am
Location: Born In Canada

Post by Chime Traveler »

Heavy metal includes a great big world of music, but in my opinion these are all worth checking out for starters:

Solid Classics:
Black Sabbath – Volume 4
Iron Maiden – Number Of The Beast
Metallica – Master Of Puppets
Megadeth – So Far, So Good, So What
Slayer – Reign In Blood

Debatable Classics:
Testament – The New Order
Sepultura – Beneath The Remains
Sepultura - Roots
Kreator - Extreme Aggression
Vio-lence – Eternal Nightmare
Forbidden – Forbidden Evil
Machine Head – Burn My Eyes
Kyuss – Blues For the Red Sun

To get a really good introduction and education on the history and many branches of heavy metal, check out the DVD documentary: “METAL: A Headbanger’s Journey”. It’s fantastic. Check out http://www.metalhistory.com/ There’s a section on the website itself that details the metal masterpieces from different eras of the genre, (under the Metal 101 link)…
User avatar
zander two
Sherbet Head
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:42 am

Post by zander two »

I was just about to mention 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.' Highly recommended, very intellectual for a rockumentary. :P It really does a good job of explaining how metal is about more than just the music.

As for the genre itself, I've always been a borderline metal freak. But inevitably I'd run out of anger/energy and have to chill out, so now I use metal for medicinal purposes mainly.

Some personal favorites:

Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power/Far Beyond Driven
Kyuss: Welcome to Sky Valley
Sunn O))): Black One :twisted:
Sunn O))) & Boris: Altar
Down: Nola
User avatar
nlogax
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:26 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by nlogax »

jesu
Image
Post a reply