The brothers favorite films, where to find them?
Moderators: Aesthetics, Drones, Hexagon Sun
thedisavowed wrote:jonnyjj74 wrote:Archrival wrote:its not Woody Allens Alice its Svankmejers..
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/
Looks interesting.
Ok, so this is a weird film. I was thrown off by the Woody Allen bit. If you want to watch this movie, I STRONGLY urge you to find the original Czech edition. The dubbings in English are so very, very bad- and distracting, imo.
However, if you love stop-motion, it's a fascinating movie.
The version I saw had the dub on one side and the sub on the other. I dislilke the dualdisc format though because one side always gets scratched.
edit: maybe I dreamed this. Oh well.
- InsomniacDMG
- Friendly Stranger
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:31 am
5. Alice (edit: not Woody Allen's version, instead it's this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/)
Alice is an interesting move but I think that Jan Svankmajer has more interesting films, anyone whose a fan of very surreal and at times disturbing (though not necesarily the most exciting) stop-motion films will love him. I'd recommend watching any film by him, and if his work interest you I have to suggest the Brothers Quay. They clearly took inspiration from him but I always found their work more interesting. His Name is Alive made a music video with them to their track Can't Go Wrong Without You; One of my favorite music videos ever. Very unsettling atmosphere and the song is amazing.
If the FBI's motivating factor for busting down the Koresh compound was child abuse, how come we never see Bradley tanks smashing into Catholic churches? -Bill Hicks-
InsomniacDMG wrote:5. Alice (edit: not Woody Allen's version, instead it's this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/)
Alice is an interesting move but I think that Jan Svankmajer has more interesting films, anyone whose a fan of very surreal and at times disturbing (though not necesarily the most exciting) stop-motion films will love him. I'd recommend watching any film by him, and if his work interest you I have to suggest the Brothers Quay. They clearly took inspiration from him but I always found their work more interesting. His Name is Alive made a music video with them to their track Can't Go Wrong Without You; One of my favorite music videos ever. Very unsettling atmosphere and the song is amazing.
Speaking of freaky stop-motion...
There was a video-clip on mtv some time ago (at least 5 years),about a guy in a forest and finds golden shoes...changes into a tree...something like that...
does anyone know who I'm talking about? I always liked that video, just don't know what its called.
Throw away your smartphone.
- InsomniacDMG
- Friendly Stranger
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:31 am
Speaking of freaky stop-motion...
There was a video-clip on mtv some time ago (at least 5 years),about a guy in a forest and finds golden shoes...changes into a tree...something like that...
does anyone know who I'm talking about? I always liked that video, just don't know what its called.
I don't recall the video you speak of but I remember that 5-8 years ago or so MTV used to have lots of really surreal deranged little stop-motion animations play between shows. I wish I could watch them again.
If the FBI's motivating factor for busting down the Koresh compound was child abuse, how come we never see Bradley tanks smashing into Catholic churches? -Bill Hicks-
Cupz wrote:InsomniacDMG wrote:5. Alice (edit: not Woody Allen's version, instead it's this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/)
Alice is an interesting move but I think that Jan Svankmajer has more interesting films, anyone whose a fan of very surreal and at times disturbing (though not necesarily the most exciting) stop-motion films will love him. I'd recommend watching any film by him, and if his work interest you I have to suggest the Brothers Quay. They clearly took inspiration from him but I always found their work more interesting. His Name is Alive made a music video with them to their track Can't Go Wrong Without You; One of my favorite music videos ever. Very unsettling atmosphere and the song is amazing.
Speaking of freaky stop-motion...
There was a video-clip on mtv some time ago (at least 5 years),about a guy in a forest and finds golden shoes...changes into a tree...something like that...
does anyone know who I'm talking about? I always liked that video, just don't know what its called.
Sounds exactly like the Radiohead video for "There There"??? Thom Yorke wanders through Judder-man-esque animated forest, finds golden shoes, puts em on, gets chased by crows, turns into a tree. Job done....
Bumping this old thread just so I remember some of the films I haven't seen on this list, and make sure I watch them.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…
Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
jonnyjj74 wrote:Opothecary wrote:For those looking for Zabriskie Point on DVD, this might be of interest:
http://www.dvdigitall.com/dvd/w9656
It's a Region 0 PAL DVD. I don't know how the print is, and being that it's region 0 DVD that means it SHOULD work on American (NTSC) televisions, but someone else might know more. I've also seen rips of this posted on Bittorrent tracker sites in the past.
From what I hear WinDVD has an option to play PAL dvds on the PC if your television doesn't work.
I'm not sure about other systems, but when running under Debian 6.0.5, VLC Media Player ignores (should ignore - I haven't tried it yet) all region coding.
This is a very interesting thread with some very good recommendations. Jan Švankmajer is a genius!
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
Cupz wrote:Speaking of freaky stop-motion...
There was a video-clip on mtv some time ago (at least 5 years),about a guy in a forest and finds golden shoes...changes into a tree...something like that...
does anyone know who I'm talking about? I always liked that video, just don't know what its called.
I know this is a very old thread and the question may no longer be relevant, but the video you are looking for is 'There, There' by Radiohead. A definite favourite of mine!
*EDIT* Oops! Mexicola had it answered for you a long time ago.
somebody wrote:Invention of Destruction
From a quick wikipedia search, and a trawl through youtube, I believe 'Invention Of Destruction' is the literal translation of the Czech title Vynález zkázy, which was released in the US as 'The Fabulous World Of Jules Verne':
Check out the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HRePnztweE
Fireal420 wrote:have any of you guys watched "season of the witch", i know they sampled that movie quite a few times, have any of you actually seen it?
yeah, i have. it's also known as 'jack's wife' and 'hungry wives.' it was en early romero flick and, apparently, his least favorite. the dream sequence at the beginning (where the sampled is lifted from) is interesting and sort of visually reflects the sound on geogaddi but i can't really say that anything else stood out for me. that's just my opinion.
i remember years ago i trawled the web looking for info on some ridiculously ambiguous titles they mentioned, like, 'the new numbers', 'dandelion seed' and 'diagram', but to no avail. oh well.
although it wasn't mentioned in the list, 'circle of the sun' was definitely an influence. it's free to watch on the NFB website. http://www.nfb.ca/playlists/pete-standi ... f-the-sun/
although it wasn't mentioned in the list, 'circle of the sun' was definitely an influence. it's free to watch on the NFB website. http://www.nfb.ca/playlists/pete-standi ... f-the-sun/
ross adey wrote:
[...] although it wasn't mentioned in the list, 'circle of the sun' was definitely an influence. it's free to watch on the NFB website. http://www.nfb.ca/playlists/pete-standi ... f-the-sun/
That whole trilogy gets a big +1 from me!
- Little Cloud
- Friendly Stranger
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 pm
I'm under the impression that the dandelion sample is from this; http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographics-Nasties-Leslie-Nielsen/dp/6304779712 But I haven't seen it so don't know for sure (does seem to be the only documentary about the sea that he did though). I think the dandelion seed movie is something else far more obscure.
