Page 2 of 4
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:07 pm
by gfresh
A good sci-fi I really enjoyed was "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card.
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:28 am
by silo flame
'last exit to brooklyn' is a classic, and 'watership down' too
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:04 am
by wwbjd
silo flame wrote:'last exit to brooklyn' is a classic, and 'watership down' too
Those are movies, not books.
I kid.. I kid..
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:22 am
by thedisavowed
sinkfield wrote:so, know of any good books??
im currently reading the Phillip K. Dick reader...its not the best piece of literature but the stories are nice.
i recommend Sailing Alone Around the world if youre into nautical stories, or just looking for an interesting read
Hey man, I love Philip K Dick. No need to apologize. I don't know what's in your reader, but if you haven't read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" or "A Scanner Darkly" you need to get on it!
I'm currently reading "Valis". It seems all right so far. And I just finished Time Quake by Kurt Vonnegut. Not my favorite of his, but still good.
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:16 am
by vonarx
manifesto.
Manifesto is about: punks, delinquents, drug-culture, growing up, dreaming, jazz, insanity, not liking anything, graffiti, absurdity, delirium, hope, darkness, dropping out, farming, moving around, maladjustment, not fitting in, wanting to be good, being drunk, lost, sad, alone, cold, sick, strung-out, fed-up, misunderstood, disenfranchised, bored, alienated, scared, confused, dispossessed, hungry, tired, self-absorbed, disappointed, deranged, disgusted . . .
recommended to anyone who feels lost in this world.
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:20 am
by doubleEntendre
clockwork orange
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:27 am
by isawdrones
Barry Lopez - Arctic Dreams
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:43 am
by Flagship
a scanner darkly - philip k dick
kraken wakes - john wyndham
anything by neil stephenson or orson scott card
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:20 pm
by Cupz
"Fire and Hemlock" by Diana Wynne Jones. The best and cheapest book I ever bought
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm
by Cupz
"Automated Alice" by Jeff Noon. A sci-fi addaption to Lewis Carrol's famous story.
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 pm
by harpoon dodger
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson..and anything else by him. He's hilarious? Also, High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. On the Road by Kerouac, Heart of Darkness by Conrad and of course...1984.
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:58 pm
by Cupz
“I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive…”
Aawh, yes, Hunter S Thompson. I'm going to see if I can get some eBooks by him...
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:53 pm
by The Other
harpoon dodger wrote:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson..and anything else by him. He's hilarious? Also, High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. On the Road by Kerouac, Heart of Darkness by Conrad and of course...1984.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Great Book
On the Road
Another Amazing book...two of my favorites.
1984 awlays a classic...good taste indeed
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:53 am
by Joebot Kill
gfresh wrote:A good sci-fi I really enjoyed was "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card.
Speaker for the Dead (the sequel) was also AWESOME. realllly good. some people dont like the other two (Xenocide, and Children of the Mind) but i couldnt put them down!
Oh, also, Stranger in a Strange land by Robert Heinlien. And Dune (duh)
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:59 am
by vonarx
harpoon dodger wrote:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson..and anything else by him.
currently reading the rum diary. i really like it so far.
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:34 pm
by Oliver
Books that I've read recently that I've enjoyed include Maus by Art Spiegelman (a graphic novel) and Night by Elie Wiesel. Both of which are accounts of the Holocaust in some form or another.
** Privacy deletion - Hexagon Sun ** Ferguson's War of the World also seems quite interesting.
In terms of novels, 1984 and A Clockwork Orange are both enjoyable, as others have mentioned.
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:20 am
by harpoon dodger
Did anyone mention The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I'm reading it currently (on the fourth book), I love it

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:47 am
by gfresh
Joebot Kill wrote:gfresh wrote:A good sci-fi I really enjoyed was "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card.
Speaker for the Dead (the sequel) was also AWESOME. realllly good. some people dont like the other two (Xenocide, and Children of the Mind) but i couldnt put them down!
Oh, also, Stranger in a Strange land by Robert Heinlien. And Dune (duh)
"Speaker for the Dead" was fantastic as well as the others.
I think I've read most of the books in the 'Ender' and 'Shadow' series... I just got "Shadow of the Giant" (2005), but for some reason haven't gotten into it as much as the others.
There was an interesting collection of 3 "novellas" by Card that came out in 2003 called "First Meetings" that were prequels and spin-offs of the Ender series that were a fun read, but not really deep.
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:17 am
by IanRedpoint
Just started reading 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. Astonishing. Must be the bleakest book I've ever read. There's literally no colour in the desolate dying post-apocalyptic world. I feel like a ghost as I'm reading it.
I'm also dipping into a two volume collection of J.G. Ballard short stories. He's England's greatest living writer in my opinion. Such a fertile imagination and blessed with the sharpest eye and turn of phrase. Makes everything else I read seem a bit flabby.
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:11 pm
by computerliebe
harpoon dodger wrote:Did anyone mention The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I'm reading it currently (on the fourth book), I love it

i actually loved first three books, the rest is kinda boring a bit.
to recommend:
Jonathan Carrol: The Wooden Sea
Chuck Palahniuk: Surviver
very easy to read, new sci-fi (the first one, well the second...it's Palahniuk), interesting, i don't want to describe them, you can find info on net i suppose :]
when i was younger, in high school and before, used to read Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, and Herbert's Dune (whole that package

) a lot.
now, cause i am very often too tired of exams and work, i stick with Terry Pratchett who gives me best laugh.