Page 2 of 3

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:13 am
by oyster
Ornette coleman
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Frank Zappa
Don Cherry
Sun Ra
Charles Mingus
Sam Rivers

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:42 am
by jonnyjj74
I listen to quite a bit of jazz music. "Bitches Brew" is one of my favorite cds of all time. I also listen to a lot of John Coltrane...he is out of this world. Art Tatum, Charlie Parker, Chick Corea, Thelonius Monk are some ace players.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:00 am
by thedisavowed
oyster wrote:Ornette coleman
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Frank Zappa
Don Cherry
Sun Ra
Charles Mingus
Sam Rivers



Ok yeah but be specific- albums?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:01 am
by thedisavowed
jonnyjj74 wrote:I listen to quite a bit of jazz music. "Bitches Brew" is one of my favorite cds of all time. I also listen to a lot of John Coltrane...he is out of this world. Art Tatum, Charlie Parker, Chick Corea, Thelonius Monk are some ace players.


Again, specific albums from those other artists?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:13 am
by isawdrones
Ive always wanted to meet a really eccentric jazz aficionado guy who could recommend me some, this thread helps.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:14 am
by jonnyjj74
thedisavowed wrote:Again, specific albums from those other artists?


John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
Art Tatum - The Best of Art Tatum (this is the only one I have, sorry)
Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:54 am
by oyster
thedisavowed wrote:

Ok yeah but be specific- albums?


Ah...

Well for SURE mang you need to get

Waka Jawaka- Frank Zappa

Giant Steps- John Coltrane

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:29 am
by Romeda
Ahh.. Giant Steps is amazing. I've also been listening to a lot of Mahavishnu Orchestra. They've got some melodic math-jazz type stuff. It's pretty cool.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:04 pm
by Mexicola
Miles Davis
Charlie Parker
Charles Mingus

S'all I need on a Sunday morning.
Nice.

:D

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:46 pm
by volante
I'm not into Jazz, but I don't mind listening to it. It's nice to hear in bookstores. I feel like I have too much music to listen to already.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:33 am
by mc10101
Bumping this ancient thread because last year I discovered the Esbjorn Svennsson Trio (or E.S.T as they are known). After their first handful of albums of fairly 'trad' jazz thru the 90s, they started to get really interesting in 2002 with the "Strange Place For Snow" album - clearly bringing in more rock/ambient/classical/progressive influences. The next five albums (up until Svennsson's death in 2008) see them delve deeper and deeper into this sound, and further and further away from traditional jazz, whilst keeping their exceptional musicianship to the fore.
Many great Youtube clips. Here's them performing two tracks from "Seven Days Of Falling" - one of my fave albums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KXq6RJ0PA

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:45 pm
by futureling
One on my mind this morning -

Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:22 pm
by Betterthanyourkids
Oh yeah, jazz is great, even got into a jazz band on the trombone recently too!

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:13 pm
by jcnporter
From 'In a Silent Way' by Miles Davis - I think this is just incredible -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6wjMWRaII

This is a great cover of a classic, featuring the greatest drummer, ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcEKAWZ1Nbk

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:20 pm
by jcnporter
I think this lot are quite good as well -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqr1W-4-Wo

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:30 am
by machinea
I love the old standard jazz singers billie, Ella especially, cole porter, and I find it really soothing to listen to in the morning hours. I like that it rounds my ear out differently especially after working on electronic music. It balances me nicely.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 pm
by mc10101
Oh, and if you like melancholy, Nordic jazz where the space between the notes is as important as the notes themselves, check out The Tord Gustavsen Quartet. Their album "The Well" (2012) just blew me away - piano, bass, sax, and drums beautifully recorded, playing melodies so exquisite, and with hardly any 'noodling' at all - every note worth its weight.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_5DMPwMzGg
Image

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:30 pm
by FernieCanto
I have a certain fetish for experimental and avant-garde jazz, and there are some names off the top of my head that interest me: Ascension, by Coltrane; Out to Lunch!, by Eric Dolphy; Free Jazz, by Ornette Coleman; and Exit!, by the Fire! Orchestra, which is jaw-dropping.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:46 pm
by GH
I have enormous respect for jazz musicians, and for the whole sentiment of jazz in general.

To be honest however, jazz music just doesn't finger pluck my double bass, so to speak.


*runs away*

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:04 pm
by Torn n Frayed