Page 3 of 4

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:15 pm
by Flagship
does anyone here ever read a book while listening to music?

and if they do have you ever listened to one cd over and over while reading a long novel?

have you listened to that music back afterwards?

I've done it a couple of times, and even books I read years and years ago with music, when I listen to the music it brings back the atmosphere of the book and images in my mind, really cool

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:22 pm
by Polygon
Black Coffee Blues by Henry Rollins, dark and moody diary entries from his past tours.

The Castle by Franz Kafka.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:14 pm
by Cupz
Flagship wrote:does anyone here ever read a book while listening to music?

and if they do have you ever listened to one cd over and over while reading a long novel?

have you listened to that music back afterwards?

I've done it a couple of times, and even books I read years and years ago with music, when I listen to the music it brings back the atmosphere of the book and images in my mind, really cool


Totally.
I also have that when playing an epic video-game.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:19 pm
by CoBoC
Polygon wrote:Black Coffee Blues by Henry Rollins, dark and moody diary entries from his past tours.

The Castle by Franz Kafka.


Kafka is awesome.
Also Jack L. Chalker's "Well World" series

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:56 am
by Polygon
CoBoC wrote:
Polygon wrote:Black Coffee Blues by Henry Rollins, dark and moody diary entries from his past tours.

The Castle by Franz Kafka.


Kafka is awesome.
Also Jack L. Chalker's "Well World" series


I've been looking for Chalkers 'Four Lords of the Diamond' series for so long, but had no luck with libraries or shops, and bad luck with losing out on ebay :(

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:57 pm
by hills west
currently: two fat ladies full throttle
last: how to practice the way to a meaningful life, dalai lama

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:25 pm
by silo flame
"Who cares if the Dalai Lama is a self-indulgent bore who lived in a 1,000-room palace while his subjects starved? He said, “Love is nice” and “Being mean is bad” so I’m getting a tattoo."

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:26 pm
by silo flame
also, read "the story of B" by daniel quinn and anything by the marquis de sade!

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:53 pm
by qabbalique
cosmic trigger -- robert anton wilson
quantum psychology -- robert anton wilson
everybody's favorite guerrilla ontologist.

the function of the orgasm -- wilhem reich
the american government burned his books and research, and that's reason enough for anybody right? details how fascism, religious dogma, and neuroses all stem from sexual dysfunctions. society and culture really are to blame! experience the mysteries of the orgone. trivia: william s burrough's built an orgone accumulator in almost every city he lived. he claimed they worked, and helped him maintain a normal libido considering his heroine habits kind of "fucked" him. is it time for our william tell routine?

the center of the cyclone -- john c. lilly.
read how one of america's top researchers invents the sensory deprivation tank, takes lsd and ketamine in the tank, and what happens to perception when it has no stimuli to guide it.

watchmen -- alan moore.

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:09 pm
by Cupz
qabbalique wrote:read how one of america's top researchers invents the sensory deprivation tank, takes lsd and ketamine in the tank, and what happens to perception when it has no stimuli to guide it.


I GOTTA read that one :wink:

I think he goes insane in the end :lol:

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 pm
by mechanismj
qabbalique wrote:
the center of the cyclone -- john c. lilly.
read how one of america's top researchers invents the sensory deprivation tank, takes lsd and ketamine in the tank, and what happens to perception when it has no stimuli to guide it.


Aha! So that's who the movie Altered States was based on! I did not know that.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:10 pm
by qabbalique
that was a very very loose interpretation of what john c. lilly was doing. he was doing research work with dolphins for years, and eventually became concerned with consciousness expansion. i think he still actually promotes the use of ketamine as "the" consciousness expanding drug of choice. it's pretty interesting that timothy leary also determined that ketamine was the specific drug that opened people up to the highest state of consciousness, the "non-local quantum circuit."

some of the best trips i've ever had have been on k listening to boards of canada or ennio morricone.

i really liked "altered states," but after reading "the center of the cyclone" it definitely wasn't what i was expecting.

for more information on that stuff --
meta-programming in the human bio-computer -- john c. lilly.
magick: in theory and practice -- aleister crowley.
the book of lies: the disinformation guide to magick and the occult -- various.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:09 am
by thedisavowed
Books I read this year:

Timequake - Kurt Vonnegut
Fates Worse Than Death - Kurt Vonnegut
33 1/3: Loveless
33 1/3: Endtroducing...
33 1/3: Trout Mask Replica
Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk - Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain
Psychotic Reactions and Carburettor Dung - Lester Bangs
The Man Called Intrepid - William Stevenson
A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Black Water Lightship - Colm Toibin
The Awakening - Kate Chopin

And I'm sure there's more... but this is my year-end list for now.

I'd say Psychotic Reactions and Please Kill Me were definitely favorites. (although the latter was so nihilistic it made Fight Club seem like Sunday school). Psychotic Reactions was just awesome, even if you don't care for the records reviewed. If any of you love Almost Famous as much as I do, then you'll like it- Philip Seymour Hoffman plays Lester Bangs in that movie.

As far as the 33 1/3's go, I'd say the book on Endtroducing was the best, inasmuch as it was pretty much one long interview with Josh Davis (and really presented a very vivid picture of his life and career at the time that record was produced.

The Loveless one had a lot of good info- but..... it was a little fanboyish at times and, unfortunately, even though Kevin Shields consented to being interviewed- he really offered very little concrete info. That record is still just as mysterious after reading that book- but maybe that's a good thing.

So.. anyways.. how was your year in books? Favorites? Books to stay away from? Fill me in.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:12 am
by thedisavowed
IanRedpoint wrote:Just started reading 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. Astonishing. Must be the bleakest book I've ever read. There's literally no colour in the desolate dying post-apocalyptic world. I feel like a ghost as I'm reading it.


I just read an article on Cormac McCarthy in Rolling Stone, and I'm really interested in reading his stuff. I picked up a copy of "No Country for Old Men" last week- I loved the movie to death. I'm hoping it will be a good intro.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:13 am
by 747Music
wwbjd wrote:Woohoo!

Cheers to a productive time :)

Read "Old Man and the Sea" when I was out in Colorado. One of those trips where you get to your destination, look around what books are available at the house you're staying at, see something you've always meant to read, pick it up and plow through it.

Oh, it was depressing. Hooray!


Earnest Hemingway is my 8th uncle.

YOU MUST READ: Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series. The first book in the series is Wizards First Rule. Even if you're not into fantasy settings, read it anyways. The author is an absolute genius!

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:14 am
by Sputnik
jonnyjj74 wrote:Haruki Murakami: Wind Up Bird Chronicles

He is my favorite author, and this is probably his most imaginative and cherished book. He is quite popular is Japan, but he is starting to make a name for himself over here too.


This. Dance, Dance, Dance and A Wild Sheep Chase are very good too!

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:14 am
by IanRedpoint
thedisavowed wrote:I just read an article on Cormac McCarthy in Rolling Stone, and I'm really interested in reading his stuff. I picked up a copy of "No Country for Old Men" last week- I loved the movie to death. I'm hoping it will be a good intro.

The movie's not out here for a couple of weeks yet. Really excited about it though. The book of "No Country For Old Men" is fantastic. Read it about a month ago.

Anyone else on here signed up to http://www.librarything.com/ ? Just joined it as I really need a way to catalogue all the books I've got here. The search and comparison stuff is great.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:01 am
by Mexicola
Got Shantaram for Christmas. It's a true story about Gregory Roberts - for a while Australias most wanted man - and his time in exile/hiding India and Afghanistan. It' an incredible story or a man who - apart from breaking out of jail and successfully making his way out of Australia - established up a free clinic in Bombay, worked for the Bombay mafia, ran guns in Afghanistan..... seriously, it reads kind of like a modern day Papillon, full all heart, soul and rip-roaring tales. Fantastic stuff.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:35 pm
by boardsofdublin
Funnist things i have read in years!!!! Ross O'Corroll-Kelly http://amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?ur ... y=14&Go=Go
Might have to know southside dublin culture a little bit but i swear.... :lol:

http://www.rossocarrollkelly.ie/default.aspx

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:11 pm
by turquoise70
My favorite books are 2001: A Space Odyssey and the other 3 in that series by Arthur C. Clarke.

I just finished Eat The Rich by P.J. O'Rourke and I loved it as well.

I guess I recommend those, then.