Page 3 of 7
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:54 am
by Tarsier
i love this thread, this is what i'm all about. well, my town doesn't have much for adventures but there is one forest trail i go down a few times a week which is a really great place.
when i graduate i'm planning on taking a year off to just go camping in really nice places like these and just journeying around with my camera making vids of our adventures, that's what life is all about imo ^_^
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:07 am
by Vordhosbn
Ahhhhh Its Tarsier! I didn't know you were on this board! Well yer cool enuff.
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:48 am
by Mexicola
Nice photos Riley. That one of you hanging off the bridge is really cool.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:43 pm
by Echo the Sun
Vordhosbn wrote:Echo the Sun wrote:Vordhosbn wrote:Those are really awesome shots!
Going off Turquoise70, I like a mixture of fields and forest. Especially when in places like Upstate New York there are allot of abandoned farms, (example being my great-grandmother's) and its a magical thing to be wandering around in dense forest and suddenly stumble upon an old field with a rusty car half-buried in the earth, and ancient medicine bottles lyin' around.
sounds a lot like where i live
I miss the East Coast....Alaska is cool and all, but so far its a bit too epic for me.
i've always wanted to see alaska.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:08 am
by Mexicola
OK, maybe this is me getting nostalgic for the treasure hunts my Mum used to send us on as kids, but this just sounds sooooooo cool. Anyone checked
this out yet? Just got back from my appointment with my chiropractor (bad back - long story) and he mentioned geocaching to me.
Basically it involves using GPS, maps, plus following clues posted on the internet, sometimes cryptic, sometimes not - to find caches or microcaches (little boxes with little fun prizes/goodies inside them). These are hidden - literally - all over the World (I bet there are at least 10 within about a mile of wherever you live, and yes I'm including you Vordhosbn too - I notice Fairbanks is well stocked..) and are usually hidden under rocks, etc. At first I though it sounded pretty lame, but check it out - it's actually really really cool.
Some of these guys take it really seriously, making the caches really difficult to reach. He told me about some where you have to go to various different points first - all hidden in forests, caves, etc to find hidden clues and then you get a final triangulation point / grid reference for the actual cache, which in turn will usually be hidden really well. One guy apparently sawed a dead tree truck in half, hid the cache inside, fitted hinges to the log and then stood the log in a forest on precisely the grid reference given, so you had NO chance of finding it unless you moved the exact log he had hidden it in. This sounds so much fun!!
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:44 am
by bleak.
i’m currently living in Swansea studying photography. these concrete buildings are gradually having a negative effect on pretty much every aspect of my life.
i’m so miserable, alone…i’m having continuous unpleasant headaches. i just long to step out my door and feel the freedom of the countryside…i feel so misplaced...
blah blah blah

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:42 pm
by Mexicola
So kind of on topic - I went rock climbing for the first time last night. Wow, it's amazing fun! I can't hold a pen today mind, but I'm totally hooked I reckon. Anyone else into this madness?
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:50 pm
by A_Northern_Soul
Mexicola wrote:So kind of on topic - I went rock climbing for the first time last night. Wow, it's amazing fun! I can't hold a pen today mind, but I'm totally hooked I reckon. Anyone else into this madness?
I want to have a go. I did a little bit years ago, which was fun. There's a couple of indoor climing walls near me, including a huge one built in an old quarry. Think I might have to have a go soon.
Just bought some lovely new walking boots, so dying to get into the mountains again...
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:41 pm
by turquoise70
Rock climbing is fun, I have climbed a few indoor walls and did a little bit of light rock climbing on that camping trip i took last October. But unfortunately I seem to be developing a stronger and stronger fear of heights for some reason, and it gets harder to get myself to go up beyond 10 feet anymore.
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:42 pm
by Mexicola
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:33 am
by zeitgeist
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:48 pm
by Mexicola
Paid a fleeting visit to Yosemite back in 2001. Sadly I only saw the touristy parts - those shots you have there look incredible. So jealous....
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:29 pm
by A_Northern_Soul
Yosemite looks amazing. I've got so much work on at the moment it's unreal, but I can't wait to get finished - I NEED to be outside now...
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
by Skytree
Camping in remote areas always does it for me, especially with the right company and a good fire.
Generally, my favorite spots are anywhere where two biomes or two types of topography meet...IE, seashores, riverbanks, overlooks, treelines on mountains, etc. The contrast always highlights the differing elements in ways that we may otherwise take for granted.
My recent favorite was hiking to the highest point in Minnesota with my gal. We even found the USGS plaque marking the exact spot...very cool to think of surveyors in that same spot 150 years before us.
Otherwise, something as simple as walking along the same path every day throughout several seasons can be the most accurate way of taking in nature. You get to watch the subtleties unfold, and appreciate the huge variance in quality of light, weather, biological activity...beautiful.
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:53 am
by Skytree
P.S. Great photos Zeitgeist....would love to have my honeymoon in Yosemite.
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:40 am
by Vordhosbn
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:35 am
by zeitgeist
great shots vordhosbn! i have a trip to climb Denali in the works for 2011 that i'm very excited for. it's crazy how much logistical work gets involved when climbing there. i haven't been to alaska since i was a kid--my parents were travel agents and took my brother and i on one of those touristy cruises, but i was very young. looking forward to going back! (i can see what you mean about it often being 'too epic'

)
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:16 am
by Vordhosbn
yup, this is a beautiful place, I really like the winter right now in Fairbanks...everything, every little detail is iced...
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:50 pm
by Mexicola
Vordhosbn wrote:
I want to live there!
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:28 pm
by turquoise70
very very beautiful zeitgeist and vordhosbn! haunting pretty pics!