Page 3 of 5

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 am
by pianoforte
bearhead wrote:Oh my god...

Track 6 is gorgeous.

if these were the rejects and b-sides... holy shit.

i just had a 'duster were brilliant' moment. again.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:30 am
by bearhead
pianoforte wrote:
bearhead wrote:Oh my god...

Track 6 is gorgeous.

if these were the rejects and b-sides... holy shit.

i just had a 'duster were brilliant' moment. again.


I have that moment every time I listen to any Duster record.

Speaking of which, I would really like to have Stratosphere on vinyl.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 am
by pianoforte
Incidentally, I received the DVDs of "How To Sleep On Floors And Rock Basements From San Jose To Chicago" and the Calm performance today. :)

I'm encountering some strange issues when trying to rip the Floors DVD to my hard drive, but I will continue trying. At worst, I will have it ripped and uploaded by the weekend.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:01 am
by TaoTapeTao
I had never checked these guys out till now and just downloaded their bonus/b-side stuff. I'm really enjoying it so I'll check out more of their shit.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:37 pm
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:I had never checked these guys out till now and just downloaded their bonus/b-side stuff. I'm really enjoying it so I'll check out more of their shit.


Oh man, I think you'll really like Duster. Give Stratosphere a good listen.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:39 am
by pianoforte
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:I had never checked these guys out till now and just downloaded their bonus/b-side stuff. I'm really enjoying it so I'll check out more of their shit.


Oh man, I think you'll really like Duster. Give Stratosphere a good listen.


Yes, Stratosphere is a good starting-place; that being said, it's hard to recommend a specific starting-place for a new Duster listener, because so much of their material is fucking brilliant.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:48 am
by bearhead
pianoforte wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:I had never checked these guys out till now and just downloaded their bonus/b-side stuff. I'm really enjoying it so I'll check out more of their shit.


Oh man, I think you'll really like Duster. Give Stratosphere a good listen.


Yes, Stratosphere is a good starting-place; that being said, it's hard to recommend a specific starting-place for a new Duster listener, because so much of their material is fucking brilliant.


Don't let "Fuzz and Timbre" be the first song you hear.

That song is fucking boring.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 am
by TaoTapeTao
stratosphere is really fucking good.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 pm
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:stratosphere is really fucking good.


I second this.

Favorite tracks?

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm
by TaoTapeTao
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:stratosphere is really fucking good.


I second this.

Favorite tracks?


I'll have to give it a couple listens to be able to pick it apart but there wasn't a single second of that cd I didn't enjoy.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 am
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:stratosphere is really fucking good.


I second this.

Favorite tracks?


I'll have to give it a couple listens to be able to pick it apart but there wasn't a single second of that cd I didn't enjoy.


Well, after you finish your Duster adventure, you should give Helvetia a listen. It's Jason Albertini's (late Duster drummer) band with one or two other guys from Duster.

I'd start with Headless Machine of the Heart.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:41 am
by pianoforte
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:stratosphere is really fucking good.


I second this.

Favorite tracks?


I'll have to give it a couple listens to be able to pick it apart but there wasn't a single second of that cd I didn't enjoy.


Yay! Now we can be the three-person Duster Fan Club! :D

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:26 am
by TaoTapeTao
pianoforte wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:stratosphere is really fucking good.


I second this.

Favorite tracks?


I'll have to give it a couple listens to be able to pick it apart but there wasn't a single second of that cd I didn't enjoy.


Yay! Now we can be the three-person Duster Fan Club! :D


lol sounds good. I didn't realize they were involved with the whole shoegaze thang. I quite like it.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:24 am
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:
pianoforte wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:stratosphere is really fucking good.


I second this.

Favorite tracks?


I'll have to give it a couple listens to be able to pick it apart but there wasn't a single second of that cd I didn't enjoy.


Yay! Now we can be the three-person Duster Fan Club! :D


lol sounds good. I didn't realize they were involved with the whole shoegaze thang. I quite like it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlV3tCoK94

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 am
by pianoforte
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:
pianoforte wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:stratosphere is really fucking good.


I second this.

Favorite tracks?


I'll have to give it a couple listens to be able to pick it apart but there wasn't a single second of that cd I didn't enjoy.


Yay! Now we can be the three-person Duster Fan Club! :D


lol sounds good. I didn't realize they were involved with the whole shoegaze thang. I quite like it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlV3tCoK94


Hm, that Helvetia track is actually OK - almost math-rock-esque in some ways. I haven't really enjoyed any of the material that I have heard from them previously, but "Old New Bicycle" was good.

Also, I've noticed that you linked it using https. Good! I approve! :)

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:41 pm
by bearhead
Helvetia is a lot more "rocky" than Duster. I guess that's just one of the barriers you have to get across to enjoy their music. They've got a lot of good stuff, though. Have you heard the Camp Century Sessions?

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:32 pm
by pianoforte
bearhead wrote:Have you heard the Camp Century Sessions?


I haven't. Are they any good?

With regards to the DVDs: I have not yet managed to successfully rip them. I will keep trying, but it may take me a while because they were poorly burned and are throwing up errors when being ripped.

Secondarily, I am in touch with the person who made the compilation. They have some copies of it left, but seem more interested in transferring it to a digital form so that it can go up on YouTube than actually shipping a copy to me (shipping can be a hassle, I know!). That being said, I will politely mention YouTube's compression and the possibility that I can pay for a copy; perhaps that will help advance my case :)

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 am
by TaoTapeTao
I'm torn between getting Stratosphere or Contemporary Movement on CD... I need help :?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 am
by bearhead
TaoTapeTao wrote:I'm torn between getting Stratosphere or Contemporary Movement on CD... I need help :?


They're both great albums, really. Stratosphere has more of my favorite songs on there. Contemporary Movement only have about 3-4 songs that I really enjoy.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:47 am
by pianoforte
bearhead wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:I'm torn between getting Stratosphere or Contemporary Movement on CD... I need help :?


They're both great albums, really. Stratosphere has more of my favorite songs on there. Contemporary Movement only have about 3-4 songs that I really enjoy.


I would suggest simply purchasing both on Amazon. One can get excellent/cheap prices when purchasing used, especially with relatively obscure material like this.

On another note: I am in touch with the person who made the How To Sleep On Floors compilation; I might be able to snag myself an original VHS copy if I'm lucky. If I can, somehow, I will convert it to a digital format and upload the file here... that would be better than ripping my current 320x240 poorly-burned DVD.