Page 1 of 1

How to tell if something is fake or not.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:56 am
by six-five-two
After the fake new box set thing and leaked Closes Vol. 1 fake thing, I think we should stop making 7-13 pages of stuff, it is obviously fake.

How to tell if something is fake or not:

-No pictures/proof
-New member (20 and under posts or so)
-Too good to be true (old stuff released/going on a tour)
-Posts some stupid poetry like Family_Photo_Album
-Acts "mysterious" by only posting pictures and not replying to anyones comments

Examples of Fakes:

*This fake example is non-fictional
if you're on the warp mailing list, you will find this in your inbox very soon, along with a nice picture. remember, you read it here first...

Boards of Canada - Alpha Taxonomy (WARP169CD)

Release date: December 4, 2006

Warp Records are delighted to announce the highly-anticipated Boards of Canada box set Alpha Taxonomy, a collection of previously unreleased songs and rarities, commonly circulated online as the 'Old Tunes'. Unwillingly leaked to the web years ago, Mike and Marcus have finally given into the incredible demand for the tracks. They've remastered and re-recorded a colossal 87 tracks, spanning four compact discs, as well as overseeing a gorgeous accompanying 32-page booklet. The lovely resulting package goes well beyond the high expectations the duo's fans have come to hold. Alpha Taxonomy will be available for pre-order from Warpmart in the coming weeks.

Boards of Canada will be performing live at a handful of shows in early 2007.


Okay, so first of all the user information:
Username: maersk
Posts: 4
So right now, you could already tell that it is a bit fishy... 20 and under post count.


Now for the name: Alpha Texonomy
It does not seem like a name Boards of Canada would choose.

Stuff it contains:
Old Tunes
This seems way too good to be true.

In one of the 13 or so pages, he also posts a picture of some gathering/someone playing live.
So this means he is also a "mysterious" asshole.

So this concludes that it is most likely fake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example of a non-fake

*Fictional

Hey, my friend works at warp and says Boards of Canada are releasing a new album. Warp should send out a letter about it in a few weeks or so. Here is a picture: [picture here]


Username: Aesthetics
Posts: 1028

Okay, first of all it is by an admin (Aesthetics) with 1028 posts. He showed a picture of the cover and the name sounds right. In a few weeks people start to get emails from warp about the release. This is true.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think we should have learned by now that somethings are way to good to be true.

Here is all the big fake events that I remember:
-Family_Photo_Album
-BoC Set
-Closes Vol. 1
-etc... cant think of any more stuff at the moment.

If someone recieves an email from warp about "Alpha Taxonomy" then this is all proven wrong and maersk is right.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:07 am
by ryetronics
I'll add to that...

The Red Moon fiasco

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:10 am
by mechanismj
What the hell is this family photo album thing I keep hearing about?

Also, what was the final result of the red moon thing? I figured it was just something that nobody ever cracked and nobody ever saw. I mean, I know that some twoism folk ended up in Scotland and had a good time, but I hear there was some hoax involved in the event as well. What is all this shiznit?!

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:31 am
by six-five-two
Red Moon Event = nothing happened..
Family_Photo_Album = some guy that was kinda "mysterious" on the WATMM board.. He was posting some poems and stuff about red moon, most people thought he was BoC or something like that. He later admitted that it was all a hoax

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:32 am
by ryetronics
mechanismj wrote:What the hell is this family photo album thing I keep hearing about?

Also, what was the final result of the red moon thing? I figured it was just something that nobody ever cracked and nobody ever saw. I mean, I know that some twoism folk ended up in Scotland and had a good time, but I hear there was some hoax involved in the event as well. What is all this shiznit?!


Some attention-starved pranksters made up stories of finding the event, hanging out with the BoC guys, finding tapes in a burned out bonfire on a beach. Basically loads of bullshit. I don't remember who they were, but none of there stories were ever corroborated.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:34 am
by mechanismj
Oh ok. Yeah, I saw a couple of those poems. Wasn't there also some guy who claimed he saw a smouldering bonfire that had been lit the night before on a beach and he found a tape laying there?

I figured maybe something happened but NONE of us ever found out where it was or WHAT it was. Oh well. If nothing happened, that would mean BOC played a prank on us right?

Whoops. Look I posted to late. Hehe.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:45 am
by isawdrones
i cant believe so many people pussyfoot around on these forums! its really getting to my head.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:25 am
by Moebius
Here (from the wiki) is a general overview of all the events in the whole Red Moon incident (which includes Family Photo Album).

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:47 am
by ExitEuXa
isawdrones wrote:i cant believe so many people pussyfoot around on these forums! its really getting to my head.

Well you're here doing the same. :P

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:03 pm
by Family_Photo_Album
I heard somebody call my name.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:18 pm
by 1969
^oh my god.

I wouldnt be suprised.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:27 pm
by The Other
1969 wrote:^oh my god.

I wouldnt be suprised.


oh shit!!!!!! :shock:

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:14 pm
by Cupz
whoonooo!! Where are these watmm`ers coming from :roll: :lol: (Just kiddin peeps)

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:48 pm
by fumi
Cupz wrote:whoonooo!! Where are these watmm`ers coming from :roll: :lol: (Just kiddin peeps)


It's the curse of the Boxset...it's got everyone worked up/annoyed.

Good forum btw.

:wink:

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:09 pm
by six-five-two
Updated.