drillkicker wrote:This is kind of unrelated, but why do such a large portion of Boards of Canada fans like Radiohead so much ? It doesn't make much sense for there to be a correlation considering that they're completely unrelated. The MBV crossover makes sense since BoC has been influenced by that band, but this is just kind of odd.
It's shared interest, that's all.
Years back, when I was way into Daft Punk, most everyone also had an affinity for Gorillaz. Unrelated. I'm still passively part of the NIN fanbase, where by the same logic w/ BoC and MBV, Bowie would be the most shared taste.
He is a big one, but at the same time there's overlap with the Tool fanbase, the BoC fanbase (hell, the OPN fanbase at current), the MBV fanbase and the Radiohead fanbase to those who aren't contrarian hipsters. Again, completely unrelated. Tool and BoC do have serious parallels as rough rock/electronic mirrors of each other in both ideology and behaviour (like Ian, I'd argue this applies to some degree with Radiohead and BoC as well), but that's not why I've seen avatars and signatures bearing their imagery/lyrics on this board along with that of MBV, or Radiohead, at least ten other popular names.
Point is, it's got less to do with acknowledged influence and more to do with word of mouth and each link on everyone's long chain of appreciated artists that shared at least a couple traits with an otherwise different type of music. I was obsessed with BMSR many, many moons ago and a recommendation from another fan is what had me discover BoC seriously. I've no doubt the type of Radiohead fans that consider stuff like Everything In Its Right Place great who express that opinion will continue to be told "check out Boards of Canada."
There's also the fact that Radiohead is one of the most popular and acclaimed rock bands of all time. I think you're partially answering your own question when you answered it re: Bowie. As for WATMM, many are just bitter, stuck in the same place I once was looking at Kid A as "baby's first IDM" instead of the record it truly is.
IanRedpoint wrote:I can't imagine only listening to electronic artists or only guitar bands.
Yet again, Redpoint gets it.