Psychedelic Hip Hop
Moderator: Aesthetics
-
SonicDimension
- Posts Quantity
- Posts: 215
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:11 pm
Psychedelic Hip Hop
Boards of Canada turned me on to some really great music from the Anticon label such as cLOUDDEAD, Why?, Odd Nosdam, Jel, etc. I am looking for more music like this-- hip hop with lots of weird psychedelic elements. It can have vocals or be instrumental. Any suggestions?
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
I guess some obvious ones would be j-dilla, madlib, death grips, mf doom, flying lotus. I'm not sure how "psychedelic" those are though. I remember someone posting a hiphop mixtape here with beats sampling 60's psychedelic music, but lost it. I'd love to hear that again.
Throw away your smartphone.
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Check out In the Key of Dee . It's a mash-up album, but fucking great one. J Dilla and Pet Sounds..
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5phTlN-jyIA[/media]
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5phTlN-jyIA[/media]
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…
Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
aesop rock's "none shall pass" always sounded pretty psychedelic to me. that may have been influenced by seeing black moth super rainbow open for him on that tour, though.
-
Fireal420
- Sherbet Head
- Posts: 701
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:42 am
- Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
the album 3030 by deltron is def a progressive thinking hip hop album.
- cubistking1906
- Eagle Minded
- Posts: 367
- Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 pm
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Digable Planets is the first that comes to mind when I think psychedelic rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3698kK8wGc
A Tribe Called Quest also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxN4nKk2cfk
+1 for Deltron 3030.
And this del related one, Souls of Mischief - 93 Till Infinity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwfYCFYZws
thank you fujee for that dilla/beach boys, it definitely made my week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3698kK8wGc
A Tribe Called Quest also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxN4nKk2cfk
+1 for Deltron 3030.
And this del related one, Souls of Mischief - 93 Till Infinity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwfYCFYZws
thank you fujee for that dilla/beach boys, it definitely made my week.
- The Telepathic Kid
- Happy Cycler
- Posts: 3051
- Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:26 pm
- Location: Australia
- Contact:
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DK8TkP0DzM[/media]
Edan - Beauty and the Beat, kind of a forgotten record. Short but packs a huge punch, with big beats, goofy rhymes and a heavy dose of 60'a psychedelia.
Edan - Beauty and the Beat, kind of a forgotten record. Short but packs a huge punch, with big beats, goofy rhymes and a heavy dose of 60'a psychedelia.
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition, which just released, is a fairly psychedelic album.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocity_ ... ion_(album)
The Flatbush Zombies use some psychedelic flairs in their music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbush_Zombies
w/r/t trip hop/instrumental, you may like TRS-80; their album Shake Hands With Danger is pretty decent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shake_Hands_with_Danger
Of course, if you haven't heard DJ Shadow, specifically Endtroducing....., get on that ASAP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endtroducing.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocity_ ... ion_(album)
The Flatbush Zombies use some psychedelic flairs in their music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbush_Zombies
w/r/t trip hop/instrumental, you may like TRS-80; their album Shake Hands With Danger is pretty decent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shake_Hands_with_Danger
Of course, if you haven't heard DJ Shadow, specifically Endtroducing....., get on that ASAP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endtroducing.....
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Pretty much every single thing on this Youtube channel is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpt81P ... BC66OD4W3w
Some of the videos are NSFW.
this song is one of my favourites from that channel:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4InKfjLLViQ[/media]
Some of the videos are NSFW.
this song is one of my favourites from that channel:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4InKfjLLViQ[/media]
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
And another: [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpooYFOZeoA[/media]
The videos are pretty amazing, too.
mono/chrome is in there with some incredible visuals to go with his awesome tunes.
The videos are pretty amazing, too.
mono/chrome is in there with some incredible visuals to go with his awesome tunes.
-
SonicDimension
- Posts Quantity
- Posts: 215
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:11 pm
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Thanks for the recommendations. That peel YouTube channel is pretty wild.
- mono/chrome
- Friendly Stranger
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 pm
- Location: Countryside/City
- Contact:
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
I saw this thread and it immediately caught my eye as psychedelic hip hop is my forte. All of the artists previously mentioned are excellent. And I thought I would add by mentioning a classic album that is always slept on. A gem and a first of it's kind. The quintessential psychedelic hip hop album....
"My Field Trip to Planet 9" by Justin Warfield
It came out in 1993, and was produced by Prince Paul (who also produced De La Soul and many other hip hop artists and albums with psychedelic flair). This album is such a fun, groovy, old school, psychedelic masterpiece and was intentionally designed as such by the artist and the producer. From the early 90's era in which it was produced, to the carefully selected 60's samples, to the rapping; in which Justin recounts all elements of psychedelic culture and thoroughly mentions all of the people who contributed to it throughout his rhymes. It's psychedelic from head to toe.
Prince Paul discovered Justin Warfield and got together with him only to produce this one sick album. After this album, Justin went on to experiment with an alternative rock project titled "The Justin Warfield Supernaut" which in my opinion, sounded campy and didn't translate well, ultimately ending with a tanked album. After this, he seemingly disappeared all together until finally turning up years later in 2004, where he reinvented himself in the alternative outfit She Wants Revenge. This band was kind of cool and went on to have a few hits before fizzling out. She Wants Revenge is 'stylistically' completely different from Justin's earlier hip hop album and had you not read the credits, you would never even know it was him that led both projects. Once again he has disappeared. It seems that he's a very creative dude and is always trying new things. None of which stick too long.... And none of which I personally like, except his very first endeavor with Prince Paul where he helped coin psychedelic hip hop. I think all the stars were in line for that project. It was the early 90's, he was a pretty knowledgeable tripped-out 19 year old, and somehow he hooked up with Prince fucking Paul whom, might I add, was in his prime at the time.
Anyway, I am totally being a fan boy on this album because I think it's super underrated and I have always wanted to share it with the right people. It went fairly under the radar when it originally came out with minor acclaim and only a few videos. But those of us who found it at the time, adored it and still do. Maybe you will too.
Here is the album on youtube:
(I would advise listening in headphones from beginning to end. Like an acid trip.
I don't know if the entire album playlist will play in this embed. You may have to go to youtube to find it. But it's worth it.
[media]https://youtu.be/JOirdD1RuoA?list=PL8WD11RaZsDzL7FzD4VrTJH1pIAzlnFa0[/media]
Oh and on the note of Psychedelic Hip Hop... Indifferent Spaces gets pretty trippy.... that's sorta my thing.
Particularly ISX: https://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com/album/isx
"My Field Trip to Planet 9" by Justin Warfield
It came out in 1993, and was produced by Prince Paul (who also produced De La Soul and many other hip hop artists and albums with psychedelic flair). This album is such a fun, groovy, old school, psychedelic masterpiece and was intentionally designed as such by the artist and the producer. From the early 90's era in which it was produced, to the carefully selected 60's samples, to the rapping; in which Justin recounts all elements of psychedelic culture and thoroughly mentions all of the people who contributed to it throughout his rhymes. It's psychedelic from head to toe.
Prince Paul discovered Justin Warfield and got together with him only to produce this one sick album. After this album, Justin went on to experiment with an alternative rock project titled "The Justin Warfield Supernaut" which in my opinion, sounded campy and didn't translate well, ultimately ending with a tanked album. After this, he seemingly disappeared all together until finally turning up years later in 2004, where he reinvented himself in the alternative outfit She Wants Revenge. This band was kind of cool and went on to have a few hits before fizzling out. She Wants Revenge is 'stylistically' completely different from Justin's earlier hip hop album and had you not read the credits, you would never even know it was him that led both projects. Once again he has disappeared. It seems that he's a very creative dude and is always trying new things. None of which stick too long.... And none of which I personally like, except his very first endeavor with Prince Paul where he helped coin psychedelic hip hop. I think all the stars were in line for that project. It was the early 90's, he was a pretty knowledgeable tripped-out 19 year old, and somehow he hooked up with Prince fucking Paul whom, might I add, was in his prime at the time.
Anyway, I am totally being a fan boy on this album because I think it's super underrated and I have always wanted to share it with the right people. It went fairly under the radar when it originally came out with minor acclaim and only a few videos. But those of us who found it at the time, adored it and still do. Maybe you will too.
Here is the album on youtube:
(I would advise listening in headphones from beginning to end. Like an acid trip.
I don't know if the entire album playlist will play in this embed. You may have to go to youtube to find it. But it's worth it.
[media]https://youtu.be/JOirdD1RuoA?list=PL8WD11RaZsDzL7FzD4VrTJH1pIAzlnFa0[/media]
Oh and on the note of Psychedelic Hip Hop... Indifferent Spaces gets pretty trippy.... that's sorta my thing.
Particularly ISX: https://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com/album/isx
-
Fireal420
- Sherbet Head
- Posts: 701
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:42 am
- Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
^^^ dude i am digging this. good looking out.
EDIT*
wow, i thought this guy had a familiar voice, one of my favorite kruder & dorfmeister tracks is a remix using Justin Warfield's vocals. i've always loved this rap but never knew who it was.
below is the track i am referring to. check out kruder & dorfmeister if you guys want those oldschool 90's beats without vocals.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6RhNQY7DM[/media]
EDIT*
wow, i thought this guy had a familiar voice, one of my favorite kruder & dorfmeister tracks is a remix using Justin Warfield's vocals. i've always loved this rap but never knew who it was.
below is the track i am referring to. check out kruder & dorfmeister if you guys want those oldschool 90's beats without vocals.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6RhNQY7DM[/media]
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
I think this is pretty trippy. Its old though, and has Del.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEQApNmw0ag[/media]
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEQApNmw0ag[/media]
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
In addition to what has been mentioned, be sure to check out Kool Keith and his many pseudonyms, especially Dr. Octagon. Also, the British rapper The Streets has some pretty psychedelic songs such as this:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSe95yskUoI[/media]
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSe95yskUoI[/media]
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Deleted
Last edited by Elexen on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Elexen wrote:Another gem I would like to mention....
"Mentla Floss for the Globe" by Urban Dance Squad
This band and album was and still is very transcendent, and is once of the very first, if not thee first of it's kind. Now it all seems passé, but at the time, it was a brand new experimental concept; A live band with a rapper and a DJ. And in my opinion, they did it the right way and way better than anything that came out after them. Urban Dance Squad's music was psychedelic and melodic and the Dj made it even more psychedelic. They used elements of many genres in many tempos. As opposed to the other bands with DJ's that later became popular like 311 who took it in a more conventional direction and then the entire rap/rock genre that later evolved which was easily boxed up and marketed. I could rummage through all that and find a few good things.... BUT THIS BAND AND ALBUM... They were the first and they did it right. A real psychedelic band with a rapper, some singing, and a live DJ mixing in samples and scratches. A perfect blend of organic music and hip hop.
Very experimental at the time. UDS formed in 1986 and came out of nowhere (Netherlands) with a song called "Deeper Shade of Soul" in '89, which became there only big hit. Their 2nd album, "Life 'n Perspectives of a Genuine Crossover" was really cool as well, but didn't catch on. By that time, 311 came out and snatched up their audience. I remember when I first heard 311 on the radio, I actually thought it was new UDS stuff. Anyway, after their 2nd album and tour, their DJ, DJDNA left the band. They went on without him, not replacing him, going so far as to put out their 3rd album with no samples and scratches. Totally eclipsing the element. It wasn't the same. A couple more albums came out and I believe they added the DJ element back in, but I haven't heard any of this material yet, as I just found out it even existed a couple of minutes ago. Lol...
So, it's not totally hip hop... but it's defiantly what happens when you take a psychedelic band and add hip hop. So I figured you might have fun taking this journey. Also, I had to give props to the band that never gets credit for what they created. There were other bands that were toying with these ideas back then, but not until Urban Dance Squad and "Mental Floss for the Globe" was it crystalized so well. Give it a shot, every song has it's own vibe, so if you don't dig one, you might dig another.
Full album:
[media]https://youtu.be/GB9iTQB9RRw[/media]
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Elexen wrote:came out of nowhere (Netherlands)
bweeeeeh
Sweet tunes though!
Throw away your smartphone.
Re: Psychedelic Hip Hop
Cupz wrote:Elexen wrote:came out of nowhere (Netherlands)
bweeeeeh
Sweet tunes though!
LOL, I knew you would catch that!