American Football
Moderator: Aesthetics
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
American Football
American Football were a truly great, somewhat math-y band from the late 1990s. Their songs were generally very subdued and featured poetic, emotive lyrics.
They only ever did two records, a self-titled full length and an EP which to the best of my knowledge is named "EP".
Give them a listen, if you're in the mood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0LJ0Dnl7A "Never Meant"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVDAXNO5frU "Letters And Packages"
They only ever did two records, a self-titled full length and an EP which to the best of my knowledge is named "EP".
Give them a listen, if you're in the mood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0LJ0Dnl7A "Never Meant"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVDAXNO5frU "Letters And Packages"
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
- turquoise70
- Happy Cycler
- Posts: 4901
- Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 am
- Location: the system
- Contact:
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
turquoise70 wrote:I do not have their EP, though. I would love to hear it sometime.
I'm digging up ancient history for a moment to point you in the general direction of this YouTube upload:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1ygJ5XKr0
Enjoy!
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
- OverTheHorizonRadar
- Eagle Minded
- Posts: 312
- Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 am
- Treefingers
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:43 pm
- Location: England
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
Here is an incredibly interesting Instagram photo/post/whatever from Polyvinyl Records, AF's label:
http://instagram.com/p/QqEKQLBtHk/
Holy. Fucking. SHIT! An AF boombox demo?
edit: punknews did a little blurb about this - http://www.punknews.org/article/49280/u ... gs-surface
http://instagram.com/p/QqEKQLBtHk/
Just got a package from Steve Holmes (American Football) w/ 7 old cassettes full of AF gems. Some songs are unreleased, some are boom box practices. Let the digitizing begin!
Holy. Fucking. SHIT! An AF boombox demo?
edit: punknews did a little blurb about this - http://www.punknews.org/article/49280/u ... gs-surface
Last edited by pianoforte on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
pianoforte wrote:Here is an incredibly interesting Instagram photo/post/whatever from Polyvinyl Records, AF's label:
http://instagram.com/p/QqEKQLBtHk/Just got a package from Steve Holmes (American Football) w/ 7 old cassettes full of AF gems. Some songs are unreleased, some are boom box practices. Let the digitizing begin!
Holy. Fucking. SHIT! An AF boombox demo?![]()
![]()
I have just emailed Polyvinyl Records to ask nicely for any further information about these tapes and whether or not they may see a release in future. I will keep this thread updated if/when I receive a reply.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
pianoforte wrote:pianoforte wrote:Here is an incredibly interesting Instagram photo/post/whatever from Polyvinyl Records, AF's label:
http://instagram.com/p/QqEKQLBtHk/Just got a package from Steve Holmes (American Football) w/ 7 old cassettes full of AF gems. Some songs are unreleased, some are boom box practices. Let the digitizing begin!
Holy. Fucking. SHIT! An AF boombox demo?![]()
![]()
I have just emailed Polyvinyl Records to ask nicely for any further information about these tapes and whether or not they may see a release in future. I will keep this thread updated if/when I receive a reply.
Well, I received a reply a few hours ago;
Thanks for your interest in the AF tapes. We're super excited too! We're actually in the process of getting them digitized right now. We're gonna take a listen at what's on there and then figure out what we're gonna do with them. We should have more info on it sometime next year.
Thanks!
Andy
I'll see what I can do to hold my excitement until next year. I am REALLY excited about this
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
- turquoise70
- Happy Cycler
- Posts: 4901
- Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 am
- Location: the system
- Contact:
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
turquoise70 wrote:WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
OH MY SWEET SALLY
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE IF THIS BECOMES A THING
i love american football too much to say, and this must be a thing I hear <3 <3 <3
agreed 100%
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
For those of you who are able to use BitTorrent, I have uploaded the DVD to ZOMB.
http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=44798
From the description:
You'll need an account with ZOMB in order to download the torrent. Please feel free to ask any questions which you may have; I will do my best to answer them.
http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=44798
From the description:
My heartfelt and eternal thanks to michaelish and j.scott at the Joanfrc forums.
American Football
Fireside Bowl, Chicago, IL (USA)
199x.xx.xx
1. The One With The Tambourine
2. Letters and Packages
3. Five Silent Miles
4. I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional
5. ??? (Unreleased)
Neither the video or audio is particularly great, but both are serviceable. I think we can certainly put aside the not-great quality given the pure awesomeness that was captured here.
I cannot specify the exact date of this performance with much confidence at the moment; I would place it to be circa 1998-1999. Someone suggested to me that it may have been April 30th, 1999 and as a result I am marking it as such until I find out otherwise through my active research on the subject.
This is the only American Football live video that I know of. If you have or know about something else (audio or video), please contact me! I'm also interested in live audio/video of Mineral and various other indie/emo bands of the 1990s and early 2000s.
You'll need an account with ZOMB in order to download the torrent. Please feel free to ask any questions which you may have; I will do my best to answer them.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
pianoforte wrote:turquoise70 wrote:WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
OH MY SWEET SALLY
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE IF THIS BECOMES A THING
i love american football too much to say, and this must be a thing I hear <3 <3 <3
agreed 100%
the project seems to be coming along nicely. i emailed andy from polyvinyl recs and he wrote back and said that they are currently trying to work out a viable tracklist for the release.
as turquoise said: oh my sweet sally
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
-
powershoes
- Posts Quantity
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:48 am
- Location: elephant island
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
-
powershoes
- Posts Quantity
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:48 am
- Location: elephant island
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
- pianoforte
- Dayvan Cowboy
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
- Location: grey gardens
some news on those demo recordings: http://joanfrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18446#p18446
also, mike's new project is called their / they're / there and it's good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWqHgjVuX8
also, mike's new project is called their / they're / there and it's good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWqHgjVuX8
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
- North by North
- Sherbet Head
- Posts: 672
- Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19 am
