American Football

Moderator: Aesthetics

User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

American Football

Post by pianoforte »

American Football were a truly great, somewhat math-y band from the late 1990s. Their songs were generally very subdued and featured poetic, emotive lyrics.

They only ever did two records, a self-titled full length and an EP which to the best of my knowledge is named "EP".

Give them a listen, if you're in the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0LJ0Dnl7A "Never Meant"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVDAXNO5frU "Letters And Packages"
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
turquoise70
Happy Cycler
Posts: 4901
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 am
Location: the system
Contact:

Post by turquoise70 »

omg

i looooooooooooooove American Football so much.

I do not have their EP, though. I would love to hear it sometime.

Seriously, American Football the album is one of my top 10 favorite records of all time.
"grand mistress of the grace note freedledeedee melodies" - Cupz, 2026
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

turquoise70 wrote:I do not have their EP, though. I would love to hear it sometime.


I'm digging up ancient history for a moment to point you in the general direction of this YouTube upload:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1ygJ5XKr0

Enjoy! :)
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
OverTheHorizonRadar
Eagle Minded
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 am

Post by OverTheHorizonRadar »

I learned one of their songs just the other day on guitar, it had a nice alternating pattern that made it interesting.
You're gonna carry that weight.
User avatar
fujee
Happy Cycler
Posts: 4012
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 pm
Location: UK

Post by fujee »

This is SO awesome !
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…
User avatar
Treefingers
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: England

Post by Treefingers »

One of my friends is really into this band. Really like what I've heard so far, and now have an excuse to look further thanks to this thread!
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

Here is an incredibly interesting Instagram photo/post/whatever from Polyvinyl Records, AF's label:

http://instagram.com/p/QqEKQLBtHk/

Just got a package from Steve Holmes (American Football) w/ 7 old cassettes full of AF gems. Some songs are unreleased, some are boom box practices. Let the digitizing begin!


Holy. Fucking. SHIT! An AF boombox demo? :shock: :D :shock:

edit: punknews did a little blurb about this - http://www.punknews.org/article/49280/u ... gs-surface
Last edited by pianoforte on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

pianoforte wrote:Here is an incredibly interesting Instagram photo/post/whatever from Polyvinyl Records, AF's label:

http://instagram.com/p/QqEKQLBtHk/

Just got a package from Steve Holmes (American Football) w/ 7 old cassettes full of AF gems. Some songs are unreleased, some are boom box practices. Let the digitizing begin!


Holy. Fucking. SHIT! An AF boombox demo? :shock: :D :shock:


I have just emailed Polyvinyl Records to ask nicely for any further information about these tapes and whether or not they may see a release in future. I will keep this thread updated if/when I receive a reply.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

pianoforte wrote:
pianoforte wrote:Here is an incredibly interesting Instagram photo/post/whatever from Polyvinyl Records, AF's label:

http://instagram.com/p/QqEKQLBtHk/

Just got a package from Steve Holmes (American Football) w/ 7 old cassettes full of AF gems. Some songs are unreleased, some are boom box practices. Let the digitizing begin!


Holy. Fucking. SHIT! An AF boombox demo? :shock: :D :shock:


I have just emailed Polyvinyl Records to ask nicely for any further information about these tapes and whether or not they may see a release in future. I will keep this thread updated if/when I receive a reply.


Well, I received a reply a few hours ago;

Thanks for your interest in the AF tapes. We're super excited too! We're actually in the process of getting them digitized right now. We're gonna take a listen at what's on there and then figure out what we're gonna do with them. We should have more info on it sometime next year.

Thanks!
Andy


I'll see what I can do to hold my excitement until next year. I am REALLY excited about this ;)
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
turquoise70
Happy Cycler
Posts: 4901
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 am
Location: the system
Contact:

Post by turquoise70 »

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

OH MY SWEET SALLY

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE IF THIS BECOMES A THING

i love american football too much to say, and this must be a thing I hear <3 <3 <3
"grand mistress of the grace note freedledeedee melodies" - Cupz, 2026
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

turquoise70 wrote:WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

OH MY SWEET SALLY

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE IF THIS BECOMES A THING

i love american football too much to say, and this must be a thing I hear <3 <3 <3


agreed 100% :)
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

I just received a DVD of an American Football performance at the Fireside Bowl in Chicago. Anyone who wants a copy, please feel free to send a private message in my general direction! :)

Screen captures:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

For those of you who are able to use BitTorrent, I have uploaded the DVD to ZOMB.

http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=44798

From the description:

My heartfelt and eternal thanks to michaelish and j.scott at the Joanfrc forums.

American Football
Fireside Bowl, Chicago, IL (USA)
199x.xx.xx

1. The One With The Tambourine
2. Letters and Packages
3. Five Silent Miles
4. I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional
5. ??? (Unreleased)

Neither the video or audio is particularly great, but both are serviceable. I think we can certainly put aside the not-great quality given the pure awesomeness that was captured here.

I cannot specify the exact date of this performance with much confidence at the moment; I would place it to be circa 1998-1999. Someone suggested to me that it may have been April 30th, 1999 and as a result I am marking it as such until I find out otherwise through my active research on the subject.

This is the only American Football live video that I know of. If you have or know about something else (audio or video), please contact me! I'm also interested in live audio/video of Mineral and various other indie/emo bands of the 1990s and early 2000s.


You'll need an account with ZOMB in order to download the torrent. Please feel free to ask any questions which you may have; I will do my best to answer them.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

pianoforte wrote:
turquoise70 wrote:WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

OH MY SWEET SALLY

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE IF THIS BECOMES A THING

i love american football too much to say, and this must be a thing I hear <3 <3 <3


agreed 100% :)


the project seems to be coming along nicely. i emailed andy from polyvinyl recs and he wrote back and said that they are currently trying to work out a viable tracklist for the release.

as turquoise said: oh my sweet sally :)
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
powershoes
Posts Quantity
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:48 am
Location: elephant island

Post by powershoes »

i used to play the drums in an 'emo' band, which feels like a lifetime ago. we often listened to american football between rehearsals.

good work is happening here.
you may think that you have not been programmed, but you have.
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

powershoes wrote:i used to play the drums in an 'emo' band, which feels like a lifetime ago. we often listened to american football between rehearsals.

good work is happening here.


WAAAAAAAAIT A SECOND

what band were you in?
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
powershoes
Posts Quantity
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:48 am
Location: elephant island

Post by powershoes »

pianoforte wrote:what band were you in?

the michael quilling project. pm sent.
you may think that you have not been programmed, but you have.
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

Those AF rehearsal tapes need to come out ASAP.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
pianoforte
Dayvan Cowboy
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am
Location: grey gardens

Post by pianoforte »

some news on those demo recordings: http://joanfrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18446#p18446

also, mike's new project is called their / they're / there and it's good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWqHgjVuX8
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x
User avatar
North by North
Sherbet Head
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19 am

Post by North by North »

Haven't pulled out AF in a long while. Overdue.

Their / They're / There sounds good.

Love the Kinsella clan.

Good posts, thx.
Post a reply