hexagon son wrote:I just got "Approach Me, and Find Me This Way" by Celer a few days ago. Fucking amazing drone once again. I don't know if its stuff they composed before her death, or stuff he has done on his own since, but it sure is beautiful. Drone is the best genre of music ever!
Listening to that right now. I agree - it cuts straight to the fucking heart.
Where did you guys download Celer's music? From Celer.bandcamp.com? Celer has to be my favorité ambient band, their music is so deep, I'm just speechless.
Pimpanicaille
Le roi des Papillons
Se rasant la barbe
Se coupa le menton
Pimpanicaille wrote:Where did you guys download Celer's music? From Celer.bandcamp.com? Celer has to be my favorité ambient band, their music is so deep, I'm just speechless.
Some of it from their bandcamp but mostly from external rar file links. I have everything they've ever released on vinyl too. Sounds really good on that format.
Wow. I can't believe I'd never listened to them before. I'm about a third of the way through Capri and the sound is so distinct. I get a sort of Corsair vibe from them as well as some of the Silent Hill 2 ambience.
It's unique in a way that's hard to describe. I'm cautious about ambient stuff cuz I've listened to a lot and there's A TON of it out there. But this is genuinely great. Thanks for the recommendation
Discourses of the Withered is one of my most listened-to albums of all time but I find it hard to get excited about Will's (and Danielle's) most work. There's a clear journaling-like quality to it, he doesn't seem to obsess over making carefully crafted ambient masterpieces (like Boards) but rather he's got his production techniques down which don't seem to evolve very much, travels, takes mundane (yet great) pictures and captures his moods and memories with generous releasing tendencies.
That being said, I spent some time today listening to his more recent work and it makes Discourses sound a bit outdated and jarring to listen to in comparison. I think his production quality and mastering has meaningfully improved. The reason that particular album stands out for me is probably because I was so young discovering it and attached personal meaning to it.
Ambient, especially the kind Will makes is a tough genre because it's very easy to make drones, loops and textures but how do you attach soul to it. It's like trying to bake a margherita pizza that tastes rich and complex. There's no doubt that he succeeds.
The Everything and The Nothing is now solidly my favorite Celer album and is reaching top tier ambient status for me. It hits differently than the other albums that I've heard.